An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

How do you like the Ethos system,Colin.

mhmmm does your RFD setup use the builtin TXMOD Mavlink to frsky passthrough converter or are you using a frsky/crsf telemetry link?
Please mind that the X20 does not have a full size jr style slot in the back but rather a jlite one.

External telemetry sources like the MavToPT solutions are supported by my script by using the extra serialport on top of the X20 but won’t work on X10 or X12 radios converted to Ethos, this feature requires low mavlink telemetry rates for the serial port is driven by the widget in pure lua

1 Like

Thank you Alex,I am using the RFD Tx Mod and frsky link,and I like it,but was thinking about a 20s tandem,and just using the tandem receiver as easier to install the small receiver compared to the RFD ux receiver but not sure what to do now

Tandem receiver is fine, but you will loose mavlink, perhaps contact RFD and ask for an Ethos solution on X20?

With frsky access or D16 receivers you’ll have telemetry (and my widget) but no mavlink

1 Like

Cheers Alex,will e-mail RFD later today.

1 Like

You can tell them to contact FrSky for the Ethos Dev Team is adding right now support for external protocols like ELRS, Ghost and Multimodule.

1 Like

i have 3 X12S
2 on ethos and one on openTX the only thing that’s stopping me was no yaapu script on ethos for the X12S
as of last week its now running on ethos on the x12s so in the middle of converting all my planes to ethos i like it

to me the X20 is missing the T5 T6 trims and the six position rotary switch

buddy of mind lent me one to test did not like it so i will be keeping my X12s for now

1 Like

Thanks Colin, this pretty much confirms that the Ethos widget is quite stable now on all radios X20 as well as X10/X12.

2 Likes

This is cool, so on X12 Ethos allows external modules to access the telemetry port on the back of the jr slot

1 Like

Sorry for the offtopic, but is Ethos more stable than openTX, or why is everyone switching over?

Which extra serial port do you mean? The X20 has IMHO only S.Port, USB-C, DSC there.

What advantage would Mavlink have on the transmitter? Normally, a GCS is used via Mavlink, with all the advantages that a GCS has. On the transmitter you would only save the conversion Mavlink → S.Port Passthrough, right?

@Hoehenarbeit please start a new thread David, the discussion does not fit here …

i am little confused how my flying buddy is using your script

Rfd TXmod has built in mav to frsky pasthroug to the sport pin in the module bay
and has built in access point to connect to mission planner to a laptop
i have a buddy has it working fine on his X20 he 3d printed one of these to hold the module
The TXmod uses rfd900X modem and the same in the plane
on the weekend he used my TXmod and it works

2 Likes

Colin thanks for your feedback! last time I tried (back with the 1.1 version) the sport pin in the back was not reporting telemetry when “external RF” was set to PPM, I do not own one of those but if it works it’s great news!

So @MartyMcFly all you need is the converter from lite to full size JR bay and you’re set!

1 Like

This is the extra serial port

as you said if you have mavlink you also have full GCS connectivity, so the best of both worlds

1 Like

You set PPM as external protocol correct?

All current FrSky transmitters have the Smart Port. Among other things, receivers are flashed via it. I thought you meant an extra port …

The RFD TXMod can be operated with PPM or SBUS. I have set SBUS.

ok I see , you’re right, I should have called it external sport.

For the TXMOD what do you have for “Type” in the ExternalProtocol RF section?

No, I currently only use TXMod with OpenTX.

1 Like

I have my one setup I little different I added Access sbus receiver
As you can’t get big battery in the radio it was going flat after 2 hours so I made this so it’s relay box as well for my long flights and shorts ones I just plug into the x12s

1 Like

Hi Alex,tried to find a JR module bay here in uk but none so will order from ali express not a problem just slow and thanks for heads up