4g two way telemetry

Hello!
I’m interested in using 4g as control link for my airplane… Could you please recommend me goid starting points for investigation?
Thanks!

Diy solution :
Hardware : flight controller + companion computer (eg raspberry pi) + 4g dongle
Software : knowledge in linux => ssh to connect to companion computer, dyndns to bypass dynamic ip provided by your internet provider, udp redirect to redirect traffic, sakis3g or uqmi for dongle connexion, vpn to secure connexion

Complete solution : commercial link available in following links Connect pixhawk to raspberry and control it with 4G LTE
UAVcast-Pro 4G LTE Telemetry and Video

Great!
I’ll investigate raspi for now :slight_smile:

I’ve been using UAVcast for about 4 months and I am very pleased with it.

I’m pretty new to Linux configuration but each step sounds doable and pretty logically for me except udp traffic redirection. But search for this topic gives me pretty clean solution:

nc -l 8888 > /dev/ttyS0 < /dev/ttyS0

Where ttyS0 is uart of flight controller.
After this redirect I expect to use my GCS with udp connections to port 8888 on raspberry…

Also I saw tge similar solution with
socat

Would this solutions be working?

Thanks for your explanations :slight_smile:
I’d found this solution here:

Check this if you don’t know linux and go to diy method :
https://discuss.uavmatrix.com/d/17-howto-rpi-pixhawk-with-4g-cell-video-telemetry

Great link. Thanks!
I suppose tge forwarding section could be done with standard tools not compiling c code. I will check this :slight_smile:

Hello!
I’d just succeed of passing telemetry from matek-wing f405 via raspberry pi to ground control station.

So, I’d configured uart5 on f405 as mavlink 2 telemetry and connect it to GPIO uart of raspberry pi (pins 8,10) via 5v to 3.3v voltage divider. Then I’d used uart forwarding with socat:

socat TCP-LISTEN:4161,fork,reuseaddr FILE:/dev/ttyAMA0,b57600,raw

After this it will be possible to setup connection in my GCS as tcp link to raspberry ip address and port 4161

It works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s my short guide to do.

2 Likes

I am using UAV Cast and is very much pleased with its performance.

2 Likes

Hi please can you tell me how did you set it up as I have the f405 fc as well