30KM 1080p 60fps 150ms - SIYI HM30 Full HD Digital Video Link Telemetry Radio System

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to start using the HM30 radio for our UAV operations. We operate in dense forest where launch spots are often limited and tight, and therefore the missions we fly require us to elevate the radio or antenna to 30m+ to clear the canopy to maintain radio LOS (tracking antennas wont really help us). Flying BVLOS survey missions up to 20km away with live FPV feed.

Does anyone have any experience or advice for this kind of set up with the HM30 and what hardware we would require/could work?

Options we are considering:

1. Elevating the entire HM30 radio and trailing back the necessary cabling (power, serial, ethernet) - seems like a lot of opportunity for connection issues here.
  2. Elevating just the dual antenna, however aware that the SMA signal would require a large cable over those distances (?) - could we convert SMA to fibre optic and run back to the HM30 unit on the ground? Can we run dual antenna SMA down one fibre optic?
  3. Dual RC relay to higher ground (although this higher ground isn’t always available) - is the network relay function available on the HM30 yet?

Options for elevating:

1. Telescopic pole/tree climbing
  2. Tethered UAV

Hi Tom,

Looking for this for a long time but haven’t done it yet. I would say elevating the GU with a LAN cable. Specs say can go up to 325m. As for elevating, Tethered (expensive) UAV would be good but I also looked at a helium balloon. The telescopic pole is quite difficult

I climbed a tree hahaha …found out im waaaay to old for this . Luckily its permanent position of the pole insta. I dont reccommend this approach if youre moving locations alot. They make an auto antenna thats on a trailor and winches the tower up automagicaly…might be an option

Hi Bart and Jesse, thank you for your thoughts. Yes we have had a look into tethered UAV and certainly not the cheapest option! - helium balloon is an interesting idea though! @champ8242 just to confirm GU = ground unit (?), so the entire receiver? In that config are you able to run just the LAN cable and power back from the GCS? Or would you still be required to run the serial as well?

@SIYI was wondering if you had any thoughts on if just raising the dual antenna is possible with the rest of the transmitter unit on the ground? Either with or without the fibre option conversion. Thinking of ways to reduce the number of trailing cables (and weight which could be quite significant when raising up to 40m+) back to our gcs.
Also just wondering - is the wireless relay functionality available yet?

Thanks all! Tom

[quote=“TomP, post:1094, topic:75189”] just to confirm GU = ground unit (?), so the entire receiver?
[/quote]
Yes, correct. Just one cable. You could use POE to power the GU from the ground if needed.

30m+ long, even thick high-quality coax cable, will attenuate the signal significantly and would by far not be my first choice in this situation.

Okay great thanks for confirming Bart

Hi Risto, okay interesting thank you - we also had that attenuation concern. Do you think it could possible to convert to fibre optic and run the signal to the transmitter unit that way? Perhaps using something like this https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/gbic-and-sfp-modules/fibre-media-converters/

Running LAN cable up to the 30m+ is no problem, IMHO no need to go over to fibre. Especially as over LAN, you can also transfer energy (PoE), as already suggested.

Hello Frank, @SIYI

What exactly is the transmit output power of the HM30 device ? I saw CE and FCC reports in a drive file you shared. According to reports, the maximum output power is 0.02 watts. Is this value correct? Also, I asked about the angle of the stock 11DBi patch antennas coming out of the HM30 device, lastly, I think the HM30 device works in full duplex structure. Is time division duplex working or frequency division duplex? Can you please answer that ?

Hello, does HM30 emits RADIO_STATUS message?

Hdmi invertor is like my wife! Suuuuper hot! Not nice. Gonna have to put a fan on it.

1 Like

Its working again…dont know what that was…

1 Like

So now it doesnt bind. I got it working got the menu changed to english then unplugged and plugged back in and it wont bind now. Red light on receiver and flashing red light on the tx. Should i try updating the firmware ? And does someone have the newest firmware and how to update it? It was working fine before i bought this 200 dollar hdmi converter i dodnt want to buy and now its not working at all. Almost abyear and i havent even got it into the plane yet. May have made a costly mistake with this system cause now i dont trust it anymore.

Trying the HDMI converter makes HM30 ground unit and air unit lose binding?

Can we have a video about how the indicator blinks and what are connected, please?

It actually lost its programming. I reflashed it and it works again …

Now my displayblooks like this.

I changed something in the app now i cant get back in the screens to multilayerd.Is there a way to re install the app itself? Or flash the hdmi convertor as i am guessing thats where the app is located?

What camera is connected?
What is the SIYI FPV app version in the HDMI converter?

How do i update / reflash or get the firware version forthe hdmi convertor some how?

I get video but its multi layerd. I needbto reflash the hdmi covertor back to factory . Can you provide the google link to the software an some type of instructions?