3.6.0 RC12 Kakute F7 AIO Baro: unable to initialise driver

This is what happens:
I connect USB to PC, AIO kakute F4 V2 board comes alive, I can connect to mission planner, but GPS/compass is dead, RC Rx is dead (no lights) and I see “no baro” message. Also not all the parameters show up in parameter tree, status screen data all zeros.
But if I connect battery first, then GPS and RC Rx are powered, barometer is detected and all the parameters show up in the tree.
My RC Rx and GPS/compass are powered from different 5V pads.

You need to use the 5v hole that’s between 3v3 and T5

It’s the only one that’s USB powered

There is no T5 on my board (Kakute F4 AIO (V2)) and in the manual (http://www.holybro.com/manual/HolybroKakuteF4AIOV2Manual_v1.0.pdf). But there is 5V pad between 3.3V and T3, I use it for RC Rx power and RC is dead without battery. Another 5V is next to B+ pad, I use it for GPS/compass, also dead w/o battery. Last 5V pad is next to LED, I did not try it.

Sorry, I hadn’t spotted that you’d said the F4, this thread was about the F7.

I have run into this same issue. I ported a Kakute F7 to Mission Planner a few months ago. However, it was Kakute F7 v1.2. I recently had to replace that board due to a “not so soft landing”, This is a Kakute F7 v 1.5. I have no idea what the differences are … and only realized there was a difference in the version numbers after spending hours flashing latest and previous versions of Kakute F7… and even trying archived versions of Mission Planner.

Ultimately, flashed the Kakute F7 firmware with the “hex with bl” (version 4.0.3)… which was the same file you sent to jon_hfd. Mission Planner version 1.3.70. Below is initial part of my log:
i
22/2020 9:52:24 PM Check BRD_TYPE: Baro: unable to initialise driver
5/22/2020 9:52:21 PM Check BRD_TYPE: Baro: unable to initialise driver
5/22/2020 9:52:18 PM Check BRD_TYPE: Baro: unable to initialise driver
5/22/2020 9:52:16 PM Initialising APM
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM Check BRD_TYPE: Baro: unable to initialise driver
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM Frame: QUAD
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM RCOut PWM: 1-6
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM Kakute F7 00260019 31385109 31363831
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM ChibiOS: d4fce84e
5/22/2020 9:52:15 PM Arducopter V4.0.3 (ffd08628)

I tried QGroundControl… software begins to repeat the same error message (regarding the Baro…) over and over again.

I have searched and found other strings very similar… however… this string seems to be nearly exactly my issue as well. I tried flashing the Kakute F7 Mini but got the same result. Strangely, I even tried flashing the Kakute F7-Heli “with bl”. On initial load… I did not get the “baro: issue”.

But as I worked thru the parameters to transform this “test” model back to a QUAD X Type…, the error was triggered again. I was able to correct the serial specs and set other parameters, reboot and continue without the error, I narrowed it down,

When I changed Frame Class from “6. Heli” to “1. Quad” and reboot… I get the error. I make the reverse change… no error.

Does anyone have a workaround or fix for this?

Some additional info… research seems to indicate the BRD_TYPE should be 123. However, I cannot find such a parameter in either QGroundControl or MissionPlanner. Assume it is an old parameter no longer in use?

Most interesting… I just tried the change of Frame Class back to QUAD… but did not power down the board. I used the “Temp Screen” to force a reboot. But did not also cut the power from the external source (battery)… the error did not immediately reappear,

And… after more testing, MissionPlanner is noit resurfacing the Baro: error.
As the GPS is external, battery power is required before the Kakute F7 can read the GPS/Compass. Potentially, this is a timing issue on power up…

baro error happens most of the time if you had a compass (or any other signal source) connected to the same I2C bus but did not power up the GPS chip from the on-board 5V. as baro and external I2C are the same bus - a non-powered up compass will ground the line and you will not have response from the baro, causing the error.

Thanks. Will check it out when back from cabin. I did find that powering it up via battery before connecting USB eliminated error. So what u say makes perfect sense.

Email from iPhone.

Thanks

The difference is the IMU. It has a MPU6000. But both IMU’s are supported by the same version of firmware.