Z Axis Vibrations

I own a lot of the PRP i never use the o rings this was a compromise. the holes size is something i asked for and fits the 3mm screws perfectly. Hopefully the phasic props will be better. I use tri’s for my builds.

Sorry not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that your PRP’s have 3mm screw holes.
Just wondering how I would get around the 4mm hole.

Man i love the size of the mounting holes yes use 3mm, just remove the o rings.

Here you find: https://sunnyskyusa.com/products/eolo-cn11-4-5-prop?_pos=18&_sid=079abaf80&_ss=r

I have the best result with them and I tried a lot.

It is EOLO, sorry

I like the look of them props…

Have worked with vibration dampening many years ago to come up with a solution that works on all frames.
This is the typical results I get.

No need to go to extremes, and motor isolation, although it can help, is not really necessary or recommended.

So Mike. Can yo layout what you did to get such good results.
Photos, video, telegram or smoke signals would help

Ah yes I have seen them…a buddy of mine that was on this forum tried them. I don’t’ recall his results. But I remember what a good looking prop they are.
I don’t see them in an 18 inch non folding version

In the days of old we place a quarter on its side on a running table saw if it held in place we were good. LOL. looked impressive but it was more of a running gag.

So back from the field with new news from testing.
This is the pervious weeks vibration performance against GPS speed.

This is todays flight with the new props.
One note…I don’t’ see any fuzz on the prop tips like the old blades.

So a big improvement. Still not down where I would like to see them but much better.
Clearly the vibration increase with forward speed.

This is a solution I have used for years on everything from mii quads to large octo’s to larger Hexa’s
Have tried to upload 800k jpeg’s but it rejects them as over 4500k
Sorry, I will find another way to get the pics up here

Thanks Mike.
I want to have better results then what I have.

cheers

I’ll say the opposite of “hard mounting” for this and suggest a very compliant mount. You have a relatively thin CF plate with another relatively thin, and large, PDB on top of that with the FC mounted to this wet noodle sandwich. Hard mounting can work on an FC with an isolated IMU if the FC is mounted to something very rigid. You don’t have that.

I’ll go out on a limb and guess Mike’s solution is a relatively compliant system…

For what it’s worth. I have a pretty rigid quad I have been flight testing recently w/ 22 in propellers and here are my vibrations for hard mount. I overbuilt the airframe to be super stiff (increased aircraft weight by 150g or so) - but these are the best vibes I have ever had. Worth the flight time tradeoff imo.

1 Like

Those are outstanding vibrations, I which I was able to get that kind of result.
I just have not found that magic method as yet.

Hey @dkemxr Mike is working to send me a photo to show how it’s being mounted. Luckily I don’t have any clipping. But I sure would like to get it down further. It very frustrating, its definitely related to forward movement. The fast the go the more the vibe.
I may try adding mass again. Perhaps heavier then in the past. I don’t know I just don’t know what direction to go in. I have done what I can to stiffen the frame further, but that appears to have no affect.
The machine is tuned, the yaw is a bit off but everything else is working well so it’s not tune related nor is it props…at least not prop quality…so what to try next…hmmmmm

One thing I was going to suggest to Gal if he wanted to keep the PDB was if he could locate a standoff in the center of the PDB. His was supported around the edges with 4 stand-offs I think leaving it unsupported in the center. Never tried it before he got rid of the board altogether so not sure if it would help.

Interesting Dave.
I can do that easy enough, the board has mounting holes directly under the flight controller location. I can add a couple there.

Cheers

As requested I threw up a page with some details of the mounting methodology I use

Anti vibration mounting

Hey thanks for this Mike.
I had pondered O-Rings. Not sure how I would implement them just yet but will give it a think.
I assume your using the native holes on the Pixracer for the O-rings and just attaching them to some pylon… IS this correct and if so any idea on the diameter of the O- Rings you would recommend for the racer…Do you know the hardness number for the o=rings.
I suspect that this would work

And thanks for going the extra mile it’s very much appreciated.
I ordered a pack of rings. Will see what I can do if it’s even possible given the available real estate

As I guessed Mike has had good success with relatively compliant mounts (as have I). This is really the opposite of hard mounting and for many craft I’m not surprised it’s effective even with FC’s with isolated IMU’s.

In fact check this out. This 250 5" with a PixRacer has been a superb flyer for several years now. After trying a few different mount methods this one can’t be beat. It’s super compliant and poses no problems with aggressive flying which is one issue sometimes raised about “too soft” mounts. Perhaps Mr. Steele, or whoever the latest Race Master is, could find fault :wink:

Compliant Mount

1 Like