Yuri's Mower Updates

Thanks for your rich contribution, I liked the term “Useless”. Today we will perform this configuration, but I have a new doubt. On which firmware version is better to perform this scenario (I now have the 4.2.3).

A flying smile

4.2.3 or newer is fine.

Great @Yuri_Rage, we will continue now with version 4.2.3 and I will plan a migration to the latest version.

My last doubt, the famous interconnection cable of the two SimpleRTK2b boards must be put between TX of the Base and RX2 of the Rover ?

Yes, but it’s unnecessary. It won’t solve your problem.

1 Like

Good afternoon @Yuri_Rage, @SJohnson and Ardurover-Lovers, today’s tests have gone quite well, yesterday I was configuring and creating a small user manual for this technology, to better understand how it works. I’m old school, I like to document and put everything clean. So today I went out into the street with a small prototype, I attached a link with a photo to see the placement of the provisional antennas. I also attach the param of the parameters that I have put at the end, in principle they are what they put in the guide that you gave me as a reference.

The problem I have encountered is that I have managed to take GPS1 (base) RTK Fixed and GPS2 (Rover) RTK float, and then the YAW did not move, I moved the robot around a square. But just when the two GPS have picked up RTK Fixed, then it has started to mark Yaw in the MAVLink Inspector.

Is this how both GPS’s have to be in RTK Fixed for YAW guidance to work?

Do I have to make any parameter changes to make it work with RTK Fixed and RTK Float?

Would it be advisable to set EK3_SRC1_YAW = 3 so that if there is no good GPS guidance, the compass can be used as a backup?

Is it better to upgrade to ArduRover 4.4 FW?

First of all, I want to thank you for all the help you give to the community and let’s see if you can give me a light pencil.

A flying smile :innocent:

GPS2 must have an RTK Fixed state for reliable yaw. No parameters will change that. It’s a measure of fix quality. You can improve the chances that it will obtain and retain a good fix by ensuring a good, clear view of the sky with good antenna placement on the vehicle (away from other components, usually as high as possible).

Using a compass backup is use case dependent. On some of the vehicles I use, that isn’t a very feasible option due to high levels of mag field interference. If your compass can be made reliable, then it is wise to use it as a backup/additional source.

Updating to 4.4 won’t change the physical characteristics that affect that. It will change the navigation algorithm, which I understand is on the cusp of release, so it may be worthwhile to update.

1 Like

@Yuri_Rage
Hello Yuri! I wanted to consult with you if it’s possible to contact you via email or through social? My email airfly.vitalii@gmail.com. My name is Vitalii, I’m from Ukraine.

I’m not inclined to collaborate that way. If you can’t post your project publicly, I would rather stay uninvolved.

EDIT:
To be more clear, I am tiring of feeling taken advantage of by various “hobbyists” in conflict zones foreign to my locale. Not only is it counter to ArduPilot’s credo, but I absolutely cannot be involved with such projects due to conflicts of interest with my own career. I’m not an idiot. Do not treat me like one.

If you just want to make a lawnmower, have a go at Lua scripting, or make a cool honest-to-God hobby-oriented flying machine, send me a private message within this forum, and I’m open to consulting, both paid and pro-bono depending on scope.

No, I will not engage with you on social media (unless Github counts…).

3 Likes

I had no intention of manipulating you or causing conflict, and I absolutely don’t consider you an idiot. I simply couldn’t find enough information online to answer my questions, and your materials are some of the best I’ve found. I wanted to ask a few questions. I didn’t see an option to message you privately on this forum, but I’ve found it now. Thank you for your response.

Why not ask your questions publicly and take advantage of community support?

As I was waiting for a response, I managed to find a solution and write the script. I hadn’t used Lua scripting before, and I had a simple question about connecting script execution to one of the channels. I didn’t want to bother the entire community with such a minor issue. I’ve solved it now, the script is working. In the future, if I have more questions, I’ll definitely reach out to the community.

If I was harsh in my response, it’s because literally EVERY post I’ve seen in the past year that leads with “I’m from Ukraine” immediately transitions to a poorly veiled question about creating a vehicle for use in combat.

While I’m not a pacifist by any stretch, and I do empathize with the plight of those in the region, I absolutely cannot involve myself in those projects, and I’m quite weary of the folks attempting to coerce such involvement.

5 Likes

Is there a plan for a Mow Fest next year?

Thank you for your answer! There are wonderful experts gathered here, and a lot of interesting material that’s scarce online. If I encounter difficulties, I’ll gladly reach out to the community.

Is there any way to find out how the beta testing of the new navigation system in the latest flight controller firmware (version 4.4) for the rover is working on the mowers? Can we expect the accuracy and straight lines for mowing that we have with the existing firmware. If this is posted in another information thread somewhere just let me know.

1 Like

No better way to find out than by testing yourself. There were extremely recent changes that are likely very positive. I have not had a chance to test yet on my own hardware.

1 Like

Yep. If there is enough interest we’ll have one in early spring 2024. Will post details once the date is set!

Thanks for the update @Swebre2023.
Just very interested in what you guys get up to.

I’m working on a mower platform here in the UK so follow you guys avidly!
Just hope you get enough interest to do another one.

Notice of MowFest24 to be posted shortly!

1 Like

@Swebre2023 has has ask us to get the word out there about MowStock 2024 in Louisiana coming up soon. It is a great event and a good place to see mowers built by many builders and to share experiences.

Many thanks to Steve Webre for hosting this big event!

DATE CORRECTION! MOWSTOCK 2024 - March 15-17, Church point, LA)-,Rover/Mower/Drone%20Folks!,best%20practices%20and%20share%20experiences%20with%20putting%20these%20autonomous%20contraptions%20together.,-We%20will%20have

2 Likes