Yuri's Mower Updates

I wanted to use the beta version, but when I connect both of the gps to my cube, the mission planner crashes, also with the dev version, only the stable one this does not happen.

Also I using the piggyback connection with the smaller board, so it wouldnt work the auto config because the it has to be the uart 1 from the small one connected to the big one, and the autoconfig uses the uart2 from both of them

If you update to the latest beta of mission planner (on the help screen), the crashing should stop. I had the same trouble you are having until I did that.

If you have room on your rover to mount the piggyback board beside the other gps board, you can probably wire them the way you want. The piggyback feature is nice, though.

@jolivart from ArduSimple posted a good tutorial on using the piggyback boards. I think he reverses the moving base and rover as GPS2 and GPS1, respectively. I’ll try and find the link later when I’m not tied to my phone.

1 Like

I think this is the link you are talking about: Rover 4.0 + Ardusimple = GPS Yaw debugging

But I believe there may have been another thread about it as well.

That’s the one! He also mentioned this link. However, you’ll need to use EK3_SRC1_YAW= 2 instead of EK3_MAG_CAL=5 with the newer 4.1-series firmware updates.

Hi @GRS26,

There are some mixed reports about whether the latest MP resolves the “evaporation” problem or not. For me (using the version printed below) it seems fine but there is at least one user who says that it is still happening.

@ktrussell,

Great that it’s working! It’s taking time but I hope we will add to the GPS_OPTION a bit that allows using the SERIALx_BAUD to achieve what you’ve done with a code change.

1 Like

@rmackay9 That would be awesome. The name will need to be something different from SERIALx_BAUD since that currently refers to a serial port ON the flight controller. The new parameter will be for setting baud for the port ON the GPS end, but I know you know that! :slight_smile:

I am very pleased with the GPS Yaw, so far. I have run my mower most of the day, some mowing, but mostly just tuning. The docs like Tuning Speed and Throttle — Rover documentation (ardupilot.org) and those following it are really excellent now. I may just not be remembering, but I don’t think the parameters were explained so clearly a year or two ago when I was just starting. It was very useful to go back through these. Thanks to all who have contributed to them. I know you have been key in that.

2 Likes

by evaporation , you mean the mp crashing it?

I want to highlight it only crashes when both receivers are connected, like I can connect the telemetry, but when both receivers are on, MP crashes

But I didn’t try this beta version of mp yet, monday I will try and report if still has errors

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried, but didn’t work.

I read the pdfs’ from ublox, I configured both my rover(standard board) and moving base( lite board) to send the right messages. When I set gps_type 1 and 2 to AUTO, the cube recognizes both board, and I get rtk fixed from both,but as soon as I set the gps type to 17 and 18 and reboot the cube, I get no GPS.

I don’t use auto config because it assumes the connection between boards is through the uart 2, but in my case that I am using a lite and a standard board, its between uart1 from lite and uart2 from standard.

Hello,
I managed to get heading using fixed base, moving base and moving rover in piggy back configuration. The only problem I am having now is that the rover is sending me back the position of my fixed base, like if I move the rover, it’s position on mission planner stays still on the fixed base coordinates.

If I disable either message 1005 coming from fixed base, or message 4072.0 coming from moving base, it’s stops, but I lose fixed rtk status in moving base or moving rover respectively.

It seems like the fixed base’s coordinates are being carried over all the way back to mission planner. Does somebody has any experience with this?

Why did you delete all your previous posts? It was an excellent discussion and helps put your current struggle into context.

I’ve not seen that problem at all. You still have something significantly misconfigured. Suggest you revert the F9Ps to default and follow @jolivart’s instructions to a tee.

1 Like

the expiration problem was solved when used the beta version of mission planner.

@Yuri_Rage you are also using a fixed base right? if possible, could you tell what are the messages in your setup, maybe that gives a light to what I misconfigured

I use auto configure and relay the messages via MAVLink. It’s always been that easy for me, so I’ve not really messed with uCenter. And I think maybe you’re overthinking it…

ok, got it,

It’s weird, I have no idea why the rover is sending me back the position of the coordinates of fixed base.

You can auto configure the fixed base in Mission Planner as well…

I have actually also seen this once about a year ago the first time I tested with a pair of UBlox F9 GPSs. It was very odd, the rover appeared on the mission planner map at the location of the base. I can’t remember if the icon on the map didn’t move or if it did move but it’s location was relative to the base.

If you’ve got a log I’m happy to have a peek and we can maybe figure it out. I also think it might be good to check that the firmware on the GPS is at least 1.13 (update instructions are here)

Hello, thank you for the offer, in this case to see the information of gps, which log should I use, the telemetry one?

I agree with Yuri that if MP will configure the fixed base for you, you should just let it. I do not use MP for my RTCM3 from the fixed base, so I did configure my fixed base in Ucenter. These are the RTCM3 messages I have enabled and all works well: 1005,1074,1084,1094,1124,1230.