Wing Wing Z-84 QuadPlane Conversion

Maybe worth checking all the motors are aligned and not twisted.

Corrado

Thanks, guys. I will check these possibilities but I think the Wing Z-84 would not hover with some props reversed.

I fixed a copy-n-paste mistake above. For H-frame, the rotations are below. Again, this was verified with Motor Test in Mission Planner.

Channel 5: Front right motor, clockwise
Channel 6: Rear left motor, clockwise
Channel 7: Front left motor, counter-clockwise
Channel 8: Rear right motor, counter-clockwise

Cheers!

I am pretty sure your props are ok, but consoder checking how straight the motors are, if some are twisted than you would exactly see split graphs in opposite corners, same as it i happening to you.

Corrado

Just curious: What do the different prop directions of the H-frame setup buy us in an H-frame quad?

(I once configured an H-frame quad using the X-frame setup and it had no bad tendencies.)

I had crooked motors on a different quad and that caused unwanted yawing. I suppose that caused varying motor speeds as well.

Paul,

The X and H frames just change how the mixing is done. Note that the motor rotations are opposite. It was once suggested by Tridge to help with an issue I had on the Ranger EX QP. It didnā€™t seem to change anything. It was also suggested to use H-frame on my mini Talon QP but others have used X-frame also with success.

My experience is that you either pick one or the other. If you have yaw issues, try changing frame types.

Corrado,

Thanks for the insight on the split graph. I will take a closer look at the motor mounts. Refer to post #31 above for my mounting photos.

Cheers!

Hey Greg, nice build. Would you say a fullsize pixhawk (just the first one) would fit, possibly with some cutting?

Hi Bruno,

I think a Pixhawk would be difficult to fit.

You might want to consider an inexpensive RadioLink mini Pix. I did testing on two of them a year ago and they seem to work fine as long as the GPS is away from the R/C or APM telemetry. More recently, Arxangle did a review on it too. The RCG thread is here.

Another option that I have been wanting to try (but havenā€™t had the time) is to use one of the less expensive F4 boards running ChibiOS with APM. The idea is to use a more integrated flight controller for smaller FPV aircraft and now they can run APM. The RCG thread is here.

When considering a flight controller for a QuadPlane or Tilt Rotor conversion using APM, make sure that you have enough outputs to cover the control surfaces and VTOL controls. One reason I picked the more expensive PixFalcon was that at the time, there were fewer choices that provided 8 outputs. For a wing QuadPlane, you only need 7 outputs.

Good luck!

Hi Greg, thanks! I decided to go for a Mini Talon in stead. Saw you did a Quad Plane conversion on that as well. Neat! Next up is the Nano Talon?

Right now I am building a Nimbus 1800 VTOL so I am holding off my temptations on looking at a Nano Talon or Nano Goblin. I never know what will happen once the winter doldrums hit. :grinning:

Part 2 of my conversion has been continued here in the VTOL Plane forum.