What's best configuration values for my planes?

Hi I’m new to arduplane. I’m coming from Inav.
It’s really huge effort to compile all the ardu setup and configuration. Glad it all finish in 2 days.
Now’s the time for maiden day.
I need a litle help.

For anyone flying AR Wing 900 and AR Wing pro. Can you share the configuration values for those 2 wings ? I’m not really comfortable doing autotune on my own.

I know that no plane share exactly the same setting. But at least if I put some proven config values I’m not far off from the perfect flying. And just need a minor tuning.

Thanks in advance.

Compile/2days ?
You have just made ardupilot a rocket science controller for users. I remember 8 years ago when started with ardupilot all I spend 10 min for config and 2 hours to read about ardupilot os.

Are you using your own board ? Not listed in supported boards ? Nearly all well branded board support ardupilot. Inav is good and getting better but ardupilot is still father/mother of all os and it’s continued to be supported by best developers.

Anyway,

You don’t need any special settings or config unless you want some special/specific settings. For that, you will learn over the time. Ardupilot allows users to do custom settings out of the box by going config page.
All you need to do is upload the firmware, go to calibration section and calibrate, go to transmitter calibration, set servo output based on servo connected serial ports. Eg: left aileron connected serial 2 in servo output 2 it will elevon left.
Set your 6 knob flight modes in flight mode section: prefer 1 is manual, 2 is fbwa, 3 is autotune(first few flight) take off in fbwa mode and switch to autotune when plane is high approx 100 or more meters, just to have enough time switch back to fbwa or manual if things goes wrong.
If you need auto take off settings let me know.

Yes I did fly ARwing once and would never fly again due to its speed, it’s very high speed wing and small. If you like wings try fx79, superb wing, slow as cub plane and fast same as AR wing, simply glides up in the air and cruise at 3amp.

Coming from inav the ardu configuration just looks scater around not so organized and not very intuitive.

Yes I have to check all the setting first before trust it to fly my plane. So it can’t be that fast.

Yet Ardupilot is so complete and has broader range of capability and applications than Inav so I’m not complaining.

In ardupilot/mission planner there is only two places we can go

1. setup tab : this is the place where user setup everything related to plane.
  2. config tab: for advanced config for advanced user who wishes to take more out of flying experience or do some additional setting eg: arming a plane, in inav it’s just assigning a switch but in ardupilot you have to move rudder stick to far end and hold for few seconds and to disarm you need to change the arming option to 2 under config tab arming parameter so that you disarm by moving rudder stick to left for few seconds.
    Under the TAB parameter tree, all the config is named with simple naming convention eg: if you are looking for osd just follow alphabetical and find osd, related to battery named as battery.

However by saying that I understand when users switch from one os to another it’s same as when windows user switch to Apple. Windows is most easiest os Microsoft built but there are many users says Apple is the easiest one.

I have used inav once and it was like lost in the maze. Ardupilot is not just a os to fly the plane it’s a os, if you can think what you want to do with plane, Ardu can do.

One surety I can give for ardupilot, you plane never ever can crash because of bug in os.

One warning: do not set any reverse at transmitter side(u will crash). Play around with check boxes in servo output and calibration section and then put your plane in fbwa mode and check if you tilt your plane right does left elevon comes up and vice versa for other side and pitch. Technically if plane tilt nose down both elevons should move upward to bring the plane stable. If yes, go and fly. If not play again with check boxes.

1 Like

With an AR900, in AP4.1, start with the default values and run the auto tune procedure. It works great. I did have to turn the tune level up by one but overall it worked well.

I also set RLL and PTCH_RATE_SMAX down from the default of 150 to 140 just to clear up some oscillation.

Just follow the wiki
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/automatic-tuning-with-autotune.html

Thanks.

I think I’ll go this route. Using default parameter then tune.

Found some template for ar wing in some forum but the ardu said the value is out of range.
Don’t really know what’s that mean. Are they from old firmware ?

If you are running the latest 4.1, the PID values changed from previous 4.0.x versions. There is a way to convert but it’s not worth it because the new auto tune routine and PID loop works differently. Just start with the defaults. It won’t be perfect but it will be flyable and you’ll be able to tune it.

Values out of range is just a warning from MP. In the full parameter list You can enter in any value you want, and easily override any ranges. This is good for the expert who is pushing limits or exploring new ideas. But dangerous for new users.

Make sure you are running the latest MP 1.3.75 at the minimum. Even better is to update to the latest MP beta version.

Actually you can also disable rudder arming completely and simply put arming on a switch (via RC_OPTION), for exactly the same behaviour as in iNav.

I can also confirm that using defaults will work well enough to keep the plane in the air for Autotune, which is much better than using anybody else’s parameters.

You don’t need to disable rudder arming to you use switch arming. You can have both if you want :slight_smile:

Yes I know, I was speaking from an iNav/BF convert perspective. :wink: That’s what I was too, and I personally always kept the “switch only” preference. I just find it easier never to worry about what certain stick movements might do in addition to steering the plane.

I thought I had the whole stick vs switch thing sorted out. For a while I was diehard switch arming. (I still am for my BF quads and anything that needs to be killed fast) But I’ve run into some certain configurations and situations where there is a greater safety case for using stick arming. It also doesn’t help that at work I fly a lot of commercial platforms that use various stick arming combinations. So I’ve given up and just resigned myself to at least setting up my switches as standardized as possible so hopefully I don’t do anything too stupid and impede my ability to count to 10.

I agree for quads i use a switch but I don’t want a switch on a plane or any high value craft. A disarm mid-flight would be catastrophic.

1 Like