What is appropriate value for 3DR Telemetry module radio RSSI?

Hello,

I bought multiple copies of 3DR telemetry radio modules a long time ago (about 4-5 years ago). Their frequencies were different, and it caused some issues.

I tested one of them, and the range was about 100 meters with my ArduRover. I think I might have mixed a 433 MHz antenna with a 915 MHz module.

According to this reference 3DR Radio Telemetry, the RSSI should be over 190 at a 1-meter test.

However, when I check the RSSI window, it shows “L/R Rssi: 155/188.”

What do L Rssi and R Rssi mean? I think it stands for Low and Regular.

I have a two questions:

1. What is the appropriate RSSI value?(Anyone can show me with their mission planner, thank you.)
  2. How can I distinguish 915 MHz antennas from 433MHz antennas?

Because there is no label, there is no way I can’t distinguish it.

I checked frequency of module on mission planner.

Thank you.

While searching, I found that a 2.4 GHz antenna and a 433 MHz antenna look identical:

Are 915 MHz and 433 MHz dipole antennas the same? I wonder.

I used a voltmeter to measure the antenna’s resistance, but the resistance value keeps increasing when I put the probes on it.

Check product specifications from vendor website, then you can find out what shape or length of the antenna it used.

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-landingpage.html

Normally, 433 has longer(bigger) that 915, and 915 is longer(bigger)thant 2.4G

1 Like

Hello again,

I saw your answer very frequently.

This time, I also have to comment on something. The question was about the appropriate RSSI value for the module, but your page does not include information about antenna size or RSSI. Since my antennas have the same shape and size, I can’t distinguish between them.

The module is from AliExpress, so I don’t know the manufacturer.

Because my module broke down when I tested its RSSI between antennas yesterday, I might have to buy a new one.

I still have no idea about meaning of L/R RSSI.

Left and Right? I have only one antenna.

The first thing you should do when diagnosing range issues is the “one meter test”. Setup the two radios one meter apart and look at the local and remote RSSI. You should get a value of over 190 for a standard SiK radio.

I’m Not sure where you can see L/R RSSI. But I guess “local and remote RSSI”, hope it helps.

— EDIT:

BTW you have to check the above links and make a deep dive. There is a detailed calculation for RSSI and dbm, see below.

signal_dBm = (RSSI / 1.9) - 127

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-3dr-radio-advanced-configuration-and-technical-information.html#common-3dr-radio-advanced-configuration-and-technical-information-diagnosing-range-problems

I would say the L and R are Local and Remote, quoting from the original link you sent:

Setup the two radios one meter apart and look at the local and remote RSSI

Regarding the antennas, you can use a VNA and measure their SWR. I bought one of these cheap ones to do that.

I’m NOT sure if aliexpress has adequte information. If it’s holybro telemetry, the latest on their website is: SiK Telemetry Radio V3 – Holybro Store

You will see the marker 433 or 915. And if you have these two stick antennas, the one for 433 MHz will be longer than the one for 915 MHz (You need to look at the internal metal antenna rather than the plastic casing. holybro did a good job for marking those antennas).

The L/R RSSI value is in the “SiK Radio” tab in Mission Planner.

The official documentation says RSSI should be over 190, but which value does this refer to?

L RSSI, R RSSI, or both?

That was my question.

It seems that both RSSI values should be above 190, right?

I hope someone can upload their L/R RSSI values for reference because I’m confusing.

Edited : I read what copilot said, maybe L/R RSSI is Local and Remote RSSI, and both should be over 190.

Thank you for your answer.

Local RSSI is always lower than Remote RSSI.

For example :

172/204,
152/193

so, Remote RSSI is okay, but Local RSSI have problem.

I pulled out the power of the rover’s telemetry, and the Remote RSSI went blank.

So, Remote RSSI refers to the telemetry module on the rover, while Local RSSI refers to the module on the laptop.

Weird thing:

The L/R RSSI is 167/193, so I assumed that the local antenna is 433 MHz (the module is 915 MHz) and swapped the antennas. However, the resulting L/R RSSI is nearly the same (164/196).

If you can’t get those suggested values following those guides, then there might be some issues (hardware/software).

And the best way to find out the truth, is to do a field test. Anyway, it’s old stuff, the performance of the electronic might be degraded.

The issues is antenna. I already wrote above…

I just wonder the RSSI value on the normal ordinary telemetry, and hope someone to upload this.

Guide is ambiguous.

I’m waiting for new telemetry to be arrived, but it is weekend.

I can see Tx Power is differennt with Local and Remote Side, and wonder I can change it

Switch the antenna and test. Compared the data from different antenna, then you will know which one is best.

Yes, you can change it. You should take time to read those guides. There is a list of power and Tx setting value.

What you are suggesting is what I am already doing, as I mentioned above. You keep giving me offical guides docs without reading or understanding what I am saying. It was the same when you answered my previous questions (For example, you gave me an ArduPilot debugging guide, but I had already read it and it was not applicable to the example code, putty was solution, and it was not related to guide link you gave, and I still think official guide should be modified, about example code debugging.).

I tested all the antennas, and none of them worked well.

Thank you for your effort for the community; I admire your knowledge, but I will handle it myself. As I have said four times, I just want someone to check the normal RSSI value for the Aliexpress telemetry module.

I searched my house and found some old telemetry equipment.

This works, and I am sharing the ordinary good values for the AliExpress V5 module.

The antennas I have all seem to be 433 MHz, while the tested module is 915 MHz. I think that’s why I struggled so much. All the antennas I have look identical.