VTOL -- freeman2100 vertical take-off and landing fixed wing +pixhawk

We put the product on aliexpress,You can find our shop at https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5630181, and this product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000223124957.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.51a02ef7m4008I

1 Like

Very nice! I see a new product called “Fighter” and all products are much easier to read (in English) and order from AliExpress.

Cheers!

Looking at the Fighter cabin images, there is an interesting version of the Pixhawk and carrier board that I have not seen before. It doesn’t seem to be sold at either AliExpress or Taobao. I suspect that one of the “POWER1” labels should read “POWER2”. Perhaps it is just an artist drawing.

PixsurveyV3

What in the world is this FC? Never seen it either…

Do you have your mission planner available yet?

Hi,

Been a while since last flying. I switched to arduiplot. But I have some issues. When using in qstabilized mode throttle seems to be very sensitive. Keeping the aircraft in stable hover is very stressful. How can I address this problem. Btw I’m using the parameters provided by GregCovey. Also there is high freq oscillations in the pitch axis. I can provide a video later.Valkyrie ardupilot missionplanner parameters.param (21.5 KB)

The oscillations I mentioned:

Change QSTABILIZE to QHOVER and keep the throttle stick in the middle. This will alleviate the left stick (Mode 2).

Change QSTABILIZE to QLOITER and you should have a steady hover if you have enough satellites.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll give it a try tomorow. Thanks.

Jim,

It looks like you can obtain the custom version of MP below. I suspect that it will be in Chinese language.

Mission Planner Vtol Survey (use 7bts for the security/extraction code)

Cheers!

Yes,

Flying in qhover mode fixed my problem with learning hover thrust on. Also reducing P value on the pitch axis fixed the vibrations. I will put a video later too. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Greg
Your right it is only in Chinese. They told me several months ago they are working on an English version so thought maybe they had it ready now. But no not yet.

Thanks Jim

I like the 4+1 configuration of VTOL Fighter, I would feel more confident without tilting servo and proper dedicated props for each flight mode. Of course that is one motor+esc more. But overall security must be enhanced.

The only tilt-servos mentioned are the robot servos RDS3225 and RDS3115. These are 360 degrees-servos. Is that needed? Why robotservos? What manufacturer is it? Are they reliable?

Why dont use any standardservos with the similar power, double ballbearings and metalgears? Like Hitec HS-5585MH 20kg. Should it be metalcase and holes for the screws?

I see now that those RDS come with the motor-brackets, that is a plus…
RDS 3225: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32907625266.html
RDS 3115: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RDS3115-Degree-Mount-Digital-Servo/dp/B07V82RJ3H

What do you use?

No, I’ve been using the 180 degrees servos. I have found the labeling on the RDS3115 servo to be inaccurate so as long as they go about 110 degrees then it is fine.

They come with the arms to attach to the motors.

I use the RDS3115MG 15KG Large Torque 180 Degree Servo because they are inexpensive.

Cheers!

Thanks Greg!

Are there any other manufacturers of robotservos? I have used hundreds of servos in planes and helicopters (mostly Hitec, Futaba, MKS), but I am not used to robot servos, guess it is a jungle there too. :slight_smile: (just trying to learn)

You all have big batteries, would one 6S 10000 LiPo be enough? Just under 1,4 kg. But I guess an Amass XT90 with anti spark are too weak for the hover -> transition?

I am trying to find rear motors for the Freeman 2300. The total weight of our Freeman is around 6,1 kgs wit 6S 10000 LiPo (as is used in the Believer that flies very well) and an Sony A6000 camera. I have found two motors I think should work? Havent balanced the setup yet.

1. T-Motor MN4014 KV400 4-8S 30A 171g with cables 900W
    50% 1530g (17x5,8")
    100% 3360g (17x5,8")
    https://www.3dxr.co.uk/product/t-motor-mn4014-kv400/

2. KDE Direct KDE3510XF-475 KV475 4-6S 30A 120g 665W
    50% 1580g (15,5x5.3")
    100% 3520 g (15,5x5.3")
    https://www.kdedirect.com/collections/uas-multi-rotor-brushless-motors/products/kde3510xf-475|

@GregCovey

I am at the final stages of completing my VTOL build.

I was thinking why not use two batteries, and separate them, where one is used for the push motor and the other one for the quad motors rather use them in serial or parallel and have a common ground.

the Quad dedicated battery can also power things like long distance video feed, RFD9000 modems etc.

As the quad motors will be used much less, after take off, it will become sort of like a backup battery safety feature.

Just thinking out loud here.

What do you think?

I can design the electronics to switch/connect in parallel the quad batteries for push motors if needed for during a long flight via Tx switch. With FrySky Lipo monitor, we can monitor the batteries remotely.

Asim, in two of Vulcan multirotors I have built we use a Mauch Hub to monitor the two LiPo’s that are in in parallel (two Mauch sensors). If one LiPo fails, the other still works. Alarm is sent to the RC-transmitter. This setup dont carry around a deadweight (second LiPo) but have double the capacity. Splitting the consumption (lower current draw per battery) and you dont have to use big connectors or fat cables.

If you have bad signal on the videofeed if you use the same battery as any/all of the motors, use filters or a different battery (2-3S small one will do).

MickeM Hi,

I am using Mauch for my Hexacopter.

Which of these configs did you use?

The only thing I don’t like about Mauch is no individual Lipo cell monitoring. Over all Lipo Volt/Current monitoring, including fail safe is just not a viable solution during long flights, unless backed by Yaapu.

I suggested to “Christian” last year to consider adding such support.

I love how Yaapu telemetry works along with FrSky Lipo Cell monitor(s) connected to S-PORT. Its a kick ass combo solution where I can keep an eye on every single pack as well as cells within each Lipo.

Twice, one of the cells in a 6S solution dropped below safe thresholds. Besides your UAV may crash, you end up loosing money on expensive 6S + batteries…no good to me.

p.s. I use like DJI 7km (Occusync, new FPV video) feeds and we are developing our own HD video system. Long way to go.

1 Like

Yes, many different brands, quality, and strength. Try a search on Banggood, FoxtechFPV, or Amazon and you will find some.

That is what I am using. There is plenty of room for more battery but I already had them from the Nimbus VTOL. Remember my posting above that my Freeman only draws 40amps for hover. As more people test their new builds, we will see if this is common. Certainly, an XT90 connector will work fine.

This is how Foxtech does it. For my hobby use, I don’t require it.
Foxtech PG20 V1.1 Dual Battery Swapping Board

Cheers!

Hi,

I’m having an uncommon behavior with the motors on my freeman2100. Before upgrading ( I was using 3.9 and was working fine), after upgrading to 4.1 in manual mode just one motor are working/spinning as in this video: https://youtu.be/P9zjcS-c47Q

Any help ?
best regards