VTOL -- freeman2100 vertical take-off and landing fixed wing +pixhawk

Guys,

i flashed the “modified” FW found on MFE github for freeman 2300 and loaded its param file,
i came to this:

also, when i connect to the pixhawk, it does not load params, at least it does not seem to do that. Do this part has become so fast or put in background maybe? With copters, loading params take a quite, always.

Steve,

Set the RNGFND_LANDING parameter to 0.

Hi Greg been off the flying for a while. I wasn’t happy with the Tilt rotor and the unapproved firmware so I added a forward motor with a 73mm round ply mount much like the fighter except 6s smaller and it has a ton of power, here’s a quick. Vid

4 Likes

Hi Paul,

Awesome! Now you have the only Freeman 4+1 or Fighter 4+1 “V-Tail” Version. :slight_smile:

Congrats!

Well, here we are, i maidened my freeman 2300, arduplane 4.0.9 beta1 and param file from MFE, adjusted a little bit by me (servo output endpoints/trims, some other small tweaks). My setup has front tilting motors

• quadplane: i took off in QSTABILIZED and had successful flight. Plane is well controllable, power is there, maybe PIDs can be tweaked but they work.

• FBWA: here’s the problem: when transitioning from QSTABILIZE to FBWA, plane wants to yaw at full rate, doing a slow spin rather than pointing forward. Yaw command (done by front tilted motors) is done by attitude controller, so it’s not a saturation of a low yaw PID setting, as you can see in the logs. Despite this, i managed to do a successful transition to forward flying once, after taking speed it worked ok, then switched to manual (not visible in the log linked). Other trials failed, i could only revert back in QSTAB and land

• manual: here plane is doing well, it’s basically a matter of right CG, throws, power… I managed to fly some circles, then back to QSTABILIZE (which transitioned very well) and landed ok.

So, my challenge is to fix that yaw sping during Q->FBWA. Maybe it’s Q_ASSIST_SPEED param to zero (now is 14)? other advice acepted.

edit: i found a Q_A_ANG_YAW_P set at 65 buried in my params… maybe a typo from 6.5… maybe we have the culprit

This is a known issue when using the standard Arduplane firmware instead of the custom MFE firmware. However, there are several fixes here. You can also try what Steve Young did to resolve the issue.

P.S. Next time, post your .bin file, not the .log file please.

Good luck!

Thank you Greg for pointing out. Just zeroed Q_ASSIST_SPEED and flashed latest 4.1master, then i’ll fly again today

just tested again. YAW swing still there, a little less maybe, but still massive. Q_TILT_MAX is 35. I will try MFE firmware next or eventually lowering Q_TILT_MAX

ps: i tried to raise LIM_ROLL_CD since circles in FBWA are waaay too large, but it seems it hasn’t raised max bank angle.

other noteworthy note: when around 28-30m/s ailerons and elevons begin to twist at a point that they become uneffective, so there’s a bit of a structural issue there :slight_smile:

Steve,

Try increasing the MIXING_GAIN. Since you didn’t post a .bin file, I cannot tell what yours is set to. The setting can go up to 1.2 and I normally have it set between 1.0 and 1.2.

Cheers!

Greg, i will try to increase gain, but my problem is bank angle… is that related?

Assuming the issue is with bank angle during pilot control, then yes this will fix it.

tried MFE firmware, YAW swing almost gone! also now i have a pretty decent bank angle in FBWA. Now it’s turn to improve general pids and such, but at least i have a tunable system, i can complete a whole flight with transitions without big troubles (finger crossed). However, It looks weird to me that such a bug (yaw swing) is still in the code, while guys somewhere in shenzen fixed that one year ago…

1 Like

Hey All,

I moved to a fighter 4+1 before I finished my Freeman build. It’s for sale on eBay if anyone is interested in aquiring a PNP Freeman 2300 kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274686222737
Thanks,

David

Hi all! I have a question regarding the x3520 motors. Do you use a ccw prop adapter on the ccw front motor? If yes, any recommendations where to get them?

Thanks in advance!
Marcel

I never used one, but I don’t use props that screw on to the prop shaft. I prefer bolting the props directly to the top of the motor.

Dave

I used 6mm nyloc nuts from Ace Hardware store instead of the screw-on cone adapters. I’ve never had one come loose on the stock CW adapters. The 6mm stock adapters fit the wooden props perfectly. At lease my memory thinks they are 6mm so please re-confirm.

Thanks for clarification! So I’ll go with nyloc nuts with my Apc props, too. They also have a 6mm hole and with the washer in between I can’t loosen it with my hands. BTW I followed your advice regarding the distance bolts and use 12mm metal hex diststance spacers, they fit nicely!

1 Like

@GregCovey image
Hi greg, made more mods to the freeman,
12 rotors, for motor redundancy and safe flying in built up areas. What do you think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul,

Ahh, it’s no longer a tilt-rotor. I think you have the first 12+1 quadcopter design I have seen!

Good luck and let is know how it flies!

1 Like

Hello Steve,

new here on the channel. I am having trouble to load the custom firmware to my Orange cube as well. Have you found a solution to this yet.
I can do all the hardware stuff… but software (pixhawk) is not strong point LOL.

THX