VTOL -- freeman2100 vertical take-off and landing fixed wing +pixhawk

Do you use multicopter- or airplane-ESCs for the front motors?

Multicopter because they are needed to hover.

Thank you for fast answer. Thats what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. :slight_smile:
Ordering tonight/tomorrow, hope the combo works for the 6,1 kg Freeman 2300.

Rear: T-Motor MN4014 KV400 + HobbyWing XRotor 40A ESC No BEC
Front: T-Motor AT3520 550 KV + any 60A+ multirotor ESC…

Propellers… have some already to test with, Tiger Motors and APC.

You can use the HobbyWing XRotor 40A ESC (No BEC) for all four motors. They won’t even get warm.

Good luck!

As a follow-up Greg,

I flew another QuadPlane using the exact same parameters (basically yours) and it was great.
A friend gave me another Here2 to use so that and some housekeeping, all should be well - I hope!

BTW, I never heard of that bit about the plane dropping out of the sky w/Autotune!

Yeah, there are post references to it in this thread (195, 202, 213, 215) from skyveyor (David) who lost several Freeman VTOLs. Remember that this is QAutotune and not Autotune. For details, you can check out the thread below, starting at about post 70. Above post 70, other people have had issues so make sure that you fully understand how it works before you try it.

QAUTOTUNE - VTOL autotune for quadplanes

Hi Greg, few quick questions, how many compasses are you running? I keep getting errors with my cube I think it’s faulty after a crash so just running the here3 can compass seems to be working fine.
I find it turns way slower than the believer, is that all the extra weight or my throws?
It transitioned into quad mode mid flight would that be due to lack of airspeed?
Do you know who I can talk to, to get the package place autonomous mode into the plane options. It’s only for copter right now
Cheers

Hi Paul,

I have always used one compass on my planes or VTOLs. Many folks don’t even use a compass on a plane and just use the GPS information. However, for a VTOL, we need a compass for good hovering. The single compass needs a clean mounted environment.

On some of my hexacopters, I have used a second compass but it was mostly for testing the blending feature and redundancy.

It’s probably your throws or MIXING_GAIN. My MIXING_GAIN is set to 1.2, the maximum I believe. You can also change the SERVOx_MAX or SERVOx_MIN settings on your v-tail to slightly increase the throw range. Make sure features like Q_ASSIST_ANGLE and Q_ANGLE_MAX are not kicking the quad motors in on turns as this will make your plane feel like it’s lumbering along.

It could be caused by many things. Low airspeed, like you mentioned. Stuff I mentioned above or even altitude. Check your Q_ASSIST settings and graph your .bin file to look for a message when the transition occured.

I don’t understand the question.

Cheers!

I wonder if a Here3 using RTK would eliminate the need of a compass again?

Mike,

Your GPS shows fair performance. Perhaps you simply could have waited a bit longer before taking off. If this was your first time in that area, it may take a few minutes to capture 17-20 satellites. You had an HDop that was still changing due to new satellites coming in.

Here is an example below of one of my flights on the Freeman. I have more satellites and a lower Hdop…meaning a better 3D fix. The values remain quite steady.

Hi Greg
Am I right in thinking that file number 5 is for the cube orange in MFE custom firmware? Wonder if anyone has tried it? Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, that’s correct. The same V5 file is used for Pixhawk v.2.4.8 and Pixhawk Pro. I’m not sure what the V5 grey cube is at the top since I have never purchased a cube.

Greg

I had gotten there version of pixhawk in my kit. It comes in 3 tiers with the top tier being the power supply.
I was setting things up recently after not looking at it for awhile. I suddenly had no power past the input post on their yet could power with the usb. Did not get much response from mfe. So decided to order a cube orange. While waiting did some testing and discovered that the diode or what ever is attached to the power post did not have enough solder on it to make contact. added some solder and seems to be working. am going to try it today. May change it out any ways.
Thanks
Jim

Hi Greg, having some transitioning issues, any ideas?
https://youtu.be/r31hidRNyYg

Also are you on the cube pilot Facebook group? You could be of great value on there. Cheers

Hi Paul,

It’s hard to say what was happening on the short video. Are you using standard firmware or the MFE custom firmware with their PIDs?

I have never owned a cube and don’t have a Facebook account.

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Can you give me a hint on what is happening in the video below? Why I get this oscillations? I didn’t had the tail mounted, but still …

Also it drifts forward and doesn’t hover on fixed point. With the tail attached I think it has less oscillations.

Log file: here

Try reducing roll and pitch rate derivative gains.

Hi Michael,

I agree with Ozan that you need to lower your quad pitch gains a little. Next time, post your .bin file, not the .log file so we can see your .param setup. The .bin file is also smaller but contains more information.

Compare your QPID settings to these from MFE:

Freeman 2100 VTOL
Q_A_RAT_PIT_P = 0.33
Q_A_RAT_RLL_P = 0.30
Q_A_RAT_YAW_P = 0.30

Freeman 2300 VTOL
Q_A_RAT_PIT_P = 0.22
Q_A_RAT_RLL_P = 0.30
Q_A_RAT_YAW_P = 1.60

As for drifting forward, you were using QSTABILIZE and QHOVER modes, not QLOITER which uses the GPS for location.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi guys and thank you for your fast reply.

So, I thought that all modes make use of GPS and try to hold it in place. Stupid me to assume this without reading. Thanks again.
On the param I found this:

I will modify like Greg posted for 2300 version and give it a try again tomorrow morning.

Hi, MikeM

Did the t-motor combination works with freeman2300? Considering to buy those motors.