Vehicle disarms mid-air in Failsafe

Hi everyone,

I was trying to configure the failsafe for my drone. My objective is to make my drone go to RTL mode when the controller signal is lost. I also want it to directly return home during mid-flight.

I configured the parameters, flew my drone around 2-3 meters height, and shut down my controller. However, instead of maintaining the same altitude and going to RTL mode, the drone disarmed or reduced the throttle to zero, causing it to fall/land on the ground. Afterward, it entered to RTL mode (autonomously) and flew up, landing back where it had taken off.

So, the failsafe somehow works, but I think it’s supposed to go to RTL mode instead of disarming itself at the start?

My [FS_THR_ENABLE] parameter is 1, and my failsafe throttle in my controller settings is equal to %15.

You can see my altitude and information about the modes in the log image below.

My flight log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sW32Pib5ojzN8ASbXMn8ZeZKlWK7kA8c/view?usp=share_link

Edit: I think it might caused by the motor switch that I added to one of the switches in my controller. (EngineRunEnable) It sets the motors off when I switched off. Do you think could it hit the zero when I close my controller?

Don’t guess review the log for the RCin chan you have the switch on and see what messages are produced.

Sorry, I checked it now. It seems on the same value for the whole operation.

There are many failsafe enhancements not available in that old version of firmware but post a link to the .bin log file anyway and let’s see.

1 Like

Sure, thank you a lot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sW32Pib5ojzN8ASbXMn8ZeZKlWK7kA8c/view?usp=share_link

When the radio powered off throttle went low and before RTL was actived it was on the ground. Then the RTL sequence started.

It likely would have been fine if you were not right on the deck when you turned off the radio.

1 Like

I can’t say I understand it completely. You mean I shouldn’t hold the throttle on the edge while trying the failsafe, or something else?

Sorry, I’m not native in English. Thank you for your time.

Edit: Oh I see, you mean I’m too close to ground.

But to be honest, it hit the ground quite a fast, and I’m kind of scared to fly it more higher than in this experiment.

It did take awhile before RTL was triggered after the loss of throttle signal. I’ll take another look.

Well, it was 2 seconds from shut off and RTL and there was “Land Complete Maybe” message in there. So, it wasn’t sure if it had landed or not decided not and started the RTL process.

I would suggest updating to current Stable version and simply disable the internal compass. If you do make sure that EK3 is enabled and EK2 is disabled and then start from the Initial Parameter setup which you have not done here. This craft shouldn’t be flying at all in this default condition.

1 Like

Before doing anything else, update to ArduCopter 4.3.4-rc1

1 Like