V-Tail Output Bias

As far as I can see, there is no option to set the bias/balance between rudder and elevator in a vtail ruddervator config?

As an example, I would like to have greater deflection for elevator input than rudder - it appears to be pinned at 50/50 servo output.

I have looked at mixing_gain and mixing_offset but neither of these achieve the desired result. In theory it would be possible if mixing_gain could be set at <0.5, but it cannot. Setting a negative mixing_offset does increase elevator authority, but does not reduce rudder, so you end up with saturation.

It is entirely possible I am missing something, so asking the question in the hope someone can correct me. Of course it could be mixed in radio - but I don’t like doing that.

Appreciate any advice.
Jules.

Strictly speaking saturation is not necessarily a problem, it just means that you don’t get as much authority on one axis when the other is at the extreme. Many people aren’t doing precision aerobatics and therefore a little bit of saturation doesn’t cause any problems.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I set up a v-tail, but I think MIXING_OFFSET will do what you want. I tend to run MIXING_GAIN closer to 1 on my V-tails, but there’s a lot of variables there so you’ll have to try it. I’d just ground test the MIXING_OFFSET at -500 then +500 and see if that gives you what you want.

As for the value ranges, if you’re using Mission Planner you can set any value you want. You might get a warning that you’re outside the normal limits, but it will still let you make any mistake you want. :slight_smile: If you want to test the gain at 0.4 or whatever you can do that. Note that QGC won’t let you do that.

…this is an excellent point! I was sitting there looking at the min val and thinking “if only I could set it lower” - completely forgot I can!

Still, I find it a bit odd that there is not a simple bias param - I wouldn’t have thought it was too unusual for a vtail to need more deflection in one axis to achieve the needed authority.

Thanks though - I will reduce the gain and then I set the offset as needed.

Jules.