Unusual Arm Flip

Hello guys! Before you post classic “board orientation, prop config, motor direction…” I have checked everything, no, I mean I actually checked everything 50 times. Few things to clarify:

1. it’s a ducted 3.5"
  2. it runs ardupilot and yes, I do need it.
  3. if I flash bf on it then it works totally fine.
  4. It managed to liftoff once without a problem, however without changing any settings I’m no longer capable of doing so
  5. it does a front flip every time like front motors direction is reversed, however I’m totally sure that it isn’t.
  6. I run props in, X frame, pusher config
  7. FC is mounted in 315 yaw config

The only idea I might have is that it has bad gyro filter those resulting PID loop freaking out

Any help & ideas are appreciated!

PID loops do not freak out that way.

Check it a 51th time, it is wrong. How sure are you that all parameters are correct?
Hint: MethodicConfigurator/QUICKSTART.md at master · amilcarlucas/MethodicConfigurator · GitHub

I’m totally sure about this stuff. Here is a video:

Is the FRAME_TYPE “Betaflight X”?
Is the FC mounted upside down?

No, normal orientation, only yaw -45 deg (or 315 in other words)

Then use the software posted above to rule other problem sources out.

What does the artificial horizon in mission planner look like when you tilt the drone?

What happens if you arm on a slight incline? Does the drone always flip forward or in downhill direction?

1 Like

Artificial horizon is completely fine, about arming in incline - I’ll test and report the result

Fine like this?

Pitch
Roll

As @amilcarlucas eluded to, Betaflight and Ardupilot have different motor numbering and order. If you didn’t set the frame to Betaflight X, or manually re-order the motors then they won’t work right. Have you used the motor test in Mission Planner? Front right is first, then it goes around clockwise.

Yes, artificial horizon is the same. Feel free to check the vid and say is it correct or not: https://youtu.be/NRzmd436hqo?si=ekR7x9itfDfm4lDh

1 Like

Looks right. Post a link to .bin log file.

1 Like

What motor order are you using (give us the number for each motor location), and what frame type?

I don’t think it matters if it is X or Beta-X if the motor order and direction test is right in mission planner, because it uses A B C D and not 1 2 3 4. And I think we all have seen the video and that it is correct.

1 Like

Yea, you can make a random choice in Frame type and re-factor it after running Motor Test. Used to do it routinely with 4in-1’s before all the additional frame types were added.

Add this to the Speedybee list of problem forum posts. They sure suck up the oxygen.

2 Likes

Is that frame with the FC the part that touches the ground before takeoff? A .bin log would be really helpful here.

Okey guys I’m back and here is what I’ve found: if I start from a slope it actually flips the other way, so now I’m suspicious that PID controller is just disabled or smth. Could it be the case? Thanks for help anyway

post a .bin log file

1 Like

sorry that it took me that long. here is a folder with all logs from my flight controller:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/gvasmqg4e1ucmkc0co0w3/ANz2_O4HZD9CWnow_XlbRHo?rlkey=kkyfpgcegpf3b31xy9easavs3&st=str0807x&dl=0
All of them are about the same so there is no difference i suppose

@amilcarlucas havr you been able to figure out what is wrong? Or I have to change some parameters in Mission Control for proper bin files?