Understanding FC to ESC wiring

I still haven’t heard what that single wire is for. What direction does the data go and is the connection to Ts8 correct??

Any Blheli_32 ESC. Holybro Tekko’s are popular but there are several good choices.

You could simply google “arducopter esc telemetry” and find the wiki for it.

Or you could Google that ESC you have and the top of list is a retailer with excellent info about flashing Bluejay.

Dave, when you say “wiki” do you mean the Ardupilot documentation for this item?
I googled “arducopter esc telemetry” and got a number of hits to suppliers but none have any documentation for the ESC.

I am still trying to get an answer about the single wire. NORMALLY, the Tx pad of a FC means the transmit signal. The TX normally connects to a Rx on the receiving end. So in the case I have here, refer to the wiring diagrams, There is a wire between the Tx8 and the ESC. Does this mean the FC is transmitting something to the ESC? If so what? Normally, as far as I know, serial connections using usarts have one wire sending data in one diorection and the other wir receiving the data. In my case, I am wondering if the single wire is connected to the wrong pin?

1 Like

Shawn, It makes sense that the telemetry goes from the ESC to the FC.

However, the wire connects to the TX (Tx8) pad on the FC. I would think that the Tx8 pad would send data TO the ESC??? Is the wiring diagram wrong??

1 Like

I wish you get a clear answer about that ESC wire. If somebody tells you to connect to that point on your FC that would answer your question. The theory about Dschot is understood! I still use PMW on all aircraft I use, I don’t know the answer.

The telemetry data is sent from the ESC to the Flight Controller. Whether it uses the Rx or Tx pin on the Flight Controller depends on the Flight Controller. There are parameters that determine this. Some Flight Controllers can swap these, some can’t. Some only have a Tx or Rx available.
Let’s try another Google search (getting the idea?) “arducopter blheli_32”

I have done the google thing. I did not know that the FC can switch the Tx and Rx lines. If this is the case, then I guess connecting the ESC to the Tx8 pad will be ok. In any event, normally if the Tx and Rx lines are wrong nothing smokes there is usually just no communication.

I think the ESC I have will send telemetry but the Dshot is one-way. i.e. it is not a BDSshot.

When I connect these wires I will be ready for a smoke test.

Thanks

H

How would it do that? You have this one?
JHEMCU BS 40A BLHeli_S 2-6S ESC

Well, I keep asking what the extra wire is for. It connects between the FC Tx8 pad and the ESC. Is this the programming wire, just in case I want to do the BlueJay programming.

YHou just told me it could be either a transmit or receive depending on the configuration.

"The telemetry data is sent from the ESC to the Flight Controller. Whether it uses the Rx or Tx pin on the Flight Controller depends on the Flight Controller.

This is what I have been asking about all of this time.

Do you have that ESC? If you do there is no telemetry pin, so no telemetry.

I have a “BS 40A BLHeli_S” I don’t know what the wire on Tx8 is for. I do not think anyone here knows. I cannot find a good pinout of this ESC.

My basic question is very simple. What is the wire connected to the Tx8 pad on the FC used for.?

What? It’s right here

None of your questions apply to this ESC.

Start over. What are you trying to accomplish?

I am trying to understand the interface between the FC and this particular ESC. The diagran above says “current” . Now really, what does that mean? Do you think the FC is supplying 40A of current through this wire? Of course not. What does "current " mean and why is it connected to the Transmitter pin of serial port 8, i.e why is current connected to Tx8? Does the FC sent a “current” command to the ESC? I have no idea and would like to know.

The current pin from an ESC, all ESC’s, is a voltage equivalent signal from the current shunt resistor and it does NOT go to a serial port it goes to a current input pin which that Flight Controller has.
I think you need to review the available docs for that ESC and the Matek H743-Slim (right on their website, ardupilot mapping) as you are confusing several different things here.

You do now understand there is no telemetry from that ESC so any question about serial ports is meaningless in this context right?

You should:
Flash Bluejay to that ESC
Flash the Bdshot version of firmware to the FC
Connect 7 wires from the ESC to the FC none of which go to a serial port.

Well, I would rather not get into flashing BlueJay into the ESC and changing the version of Ardupilot to the Bdshot version at this time. Maybe later.
As I have read, Ardupilot will do Dshot (not bdshot) as it is, right ?

I am proud of myself that I flashed the “normal” version of Ardupilot inot the H743 with no issues. I am not looking for trouble.

You stated…“Connect 7 wires from the ESC to the FC none of which go to a serial port.” There are seven wires. However, the one marked “current” goes to Tx8 on the FC. Tx8 is normally a serial port. Perhaps it is changed to an ADC input.

No it doesn’t. It goes to the Pin marked “Cur”. There are actually 2 Current input pins on these FC’s. If you read the Ardupilot Mapping page I suggested you would see this. This pin is also available on the 8 pin connector.

On the plus side if you did make that mistake it would not smoke the serial port as the current signal is an analog voltage of 3.3VDC max. Analog voltage, not serial data…

Well, I guess you are partially correct. If I list the pins on the FC connector they go as

Vbat red
G b black
Tx8 yellow
Rx8 blue stub
Cur ??
S1 white
S2 white
s3 white
s4 white

When the yellow wire goes through the connector it might go to the “Cur” but it looks like it goes to the Tx8 pad. I will get my trusty mhometer and check it out.

Things are looking much clearer. I will solder to the “cur” pin.

This connector?

You are absolutely correct. I did not have as good of picture.

Problem solved.

Thanks Dave.