UBlox ZED-F9P L1/L2 GNSS Unit

Hi Nathan,

I visited Ardusimple Headquarter few days ago and we tried one of his prototypes with my USV.
My impressions were very good and I ordered one that will arrive on next weeks.
Will send you logs when I have them.
Meanwhile, You can see some examples on their website or even contact Josep for more info.

Hey Guys,

Like others I am interested in using the ublox f9 for PPK GEO tagging images. Trying to understand the best way to log data. Can I use the spark fun development board and simply plug an SD card reader into the usb port. Could I do the same thing with the Ardusimple board? Or do I have to use something like spark fun open log.

What is the best protocol to use to write the binary data to the SD card: SPI, I2C or UART?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Ardusimple is running a sale on their kits, 199€ plus shipping. Ugh I just bought one a few weeks back for 248€…

I have no connection to the company, just thought those on this thread might appreciate the heads up.

I’m using the ardusimple in a “Standalone + RTK Corrections” configuration. This means 1 Ardusimple board on my rover connected to Pixhawk4 and I am sourcing RTK corrections from a government NTRIP caster about 21km from me. Mission Planner connects to the correction source (an NTRIP caster), receives RTK corrections, and forwards them over the regular telemetry link to the Pixhawk, which in turn sends them to the Ardusimple. Worked first time out of the box. Accuracy is encouraging thus far; I hope to have specific measurements this week.

@ktrussell

5 Likes

Looking forward to watch your tests

Tinkering with the F9P is very rewarding. SO much better accuracies, both horizontal and vertical, compared to any GPS I’ve ever tested over the years. Now, to get vendors to update their software use the new u-blox configs… Very impressed with this chip.

3 Likes

We need also update in arducopter firmware. This cm level accuracy can’t be used if you can’t set offset of camera. Camera is usually in different place than GPS.

Hello everyone,

By the end of July we will have full stock of simpleRTK2Blite units and we would like to prepare a “Pixhawk Starter Kit” consisting of:

• 1xsimpleRTK2Blite
  • 1xGNSS multiband OEM antenna
  • 1xPixhawk cable set

We are currently testing the unit with a Pixhawk4 which uses JST-GH male-male 6 pin non-crossed cable.

We would like to offer a full set of cables so everyone can use its favorite autopilot.
Can you help us by listing the most typical connectors+pinout of other Pixhawk connectors?

Thanks a lot,
Josep

Hi Josep,

I’m quite excited about this one. But when are we able to order this unit ?

Hello everyone,

I have a question: I noticed that almost all the GPS hardware based on F9P do not have integrated compass. Then does it mean I need to connect another external compass with the Pixhawk ?

Best regards,
Mirko

Hi Mirko,
Production is on going and we expect to have full stock available by the end of the month, pre-order is available.

Thank you so much, Does this component have the integrated compass ?

1 Like

No, it has not an integrated compass (magnetometer).

If two simpleRTK2Blite are combined (or one simpleRTK2B+simpleRTK2Blite), you can get extremely accurate heading based on a moving base configuration.
As far as I know, the parser for the specific message containing this information is not yet implemented in Ardupilot software.
simpleRTK2B%20lite

1 Like

I cut this from another thread…

Ok now that I am looking at the right GPS…Yes it has a compass. you can see the orientation
Also it’s listed in the description
https://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=266

I also watched a video that said the Here Pro will have full FC capabilities.

1 Like

Thank you for your help.
But I’m not quite understand the moving base configuration ? Does it mean the combined GPS board (Ardusimple + Ardusimplelite) all installed on the vehicle ? Or one of them still need to be set on a specific location on the ground as static base ?

With the moving base configuration, both simpleRTK2B+simpleRTK2Blite are installed in the vehicle.
With this units, you will get high accuracy heading without the need of a static base station or NTRIP corrections (the longer the distance between the antennas the higher the accuracy).

If you also want to have cm level position, you can either:

• Use an additional static base (in the ground)
  • Use NTRIP corrections

Let me know if you have any doubts

2 Likes

Thank you Josep, can I use the moving base configuration with Pixhawk ? Also since the two antennas will be installed on the vehicle, so the distance between them cannot be very far. How accurate it will be if two antennas are very close with each other (around 300mm ) ?

Hi Josep,

For the Ardusimplelite, does it also support standalone & SSR correction ?

Hello Mirko,

Right now and as far as I know, Pixhawk doesn’t support the moving baseline functionality, although is relatively easy to implement for the developers.
The heading accuracy can be defined as:
heading_accuracy = atan(2/distance), where distance is the distance between antennas in cm.

30cm: 3.8deg
1m: 1.14deg
10m: 0.11deg

This is an approximation, but the final numbers should be the same order of magnitude.

simpleRTK2Blite will support standalone operation + RTCM corrections.
SSR corrections will be supported in a future firmware release by u-blox (no dates available yet).

Hello everyone,

I need your help to list the cables and connectors used by the most common autopilots.
Pixhawk 4 uses JST-GH male-male 6 pin not-crossed cable.

What about other autopilots?

Thanks,
Josep

Cable

This is what I can find. Anyone else can help with this ?