Uart code - can not connect to Mission Planner

Hi all,

following UART_test.cpp I tried to implement some basic logic in the source code but having problems as I can not connect to the Mission Planner.

I used the code below to initialize the uart

const AP_HAL::HAL& hal = AP_HAL::get_HAL();
AP_HAL::UARTDriver *uart = hal.serial(4); // tried 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4
uart->begin(1000000); // tried other baud rates as well

and this to a periodically called (1Hz) function

if (uart != nullptr) {
    uart->write(0xAB);
}

Any help would be great!

EDIT

I implement my logic in a class and if I initialize the uart in the class definition

AP_HAL::UARTDriver *uart = hal.serial(4);

or if I initialize in the constructor

Device::Device() {
        uart = hal.serial(4);
        uart->begin(1000000);
}

COM port is not available and cannot connect to mission planner. But if I initialize the uart later through some other function the problem does not appear. Any ideas on why might that happens?

No idea why the UART isn’t initializing, but you’ll never get a valid connection to Mission Planner without sending MavLink (which is far more complex than a single byte message).

Thanks for the response but I didn’t really get what you mean. What I probably did not make clear enough is that I try to connect to Mission Planner with a USB (the normal way). The uart is just configured for another use (to interface a device), but I think it somehow messes with the whole system when initialized early in the code (perhaps the drivers for uarts don’t have enough time to load). In my case I need to send messages with a custom format to interface a device not supported by the current firmware.

Btw, I was wondering how to configure serialx_protocol in the aforementioned case (no predefined protocols - just want to receive and send raw messages). I tried:

• none, but the uart output was suppressed
  • various others, but the output was filled with extra traffic corrupting my messages
  • scripting, the only one that did not mess with the output but I am not sure if it induces any other issues.