Trex 700 heli shaking

sorry about that i thought i clicked on the right one didnt check the date i guess

So now that Iā€™m able to see your latest changes, Iā€™ve noticed that you reduced the ATC_INPUT_TC to 0.12. This is really too low for a 700 size heli. I would suggest you stick with 0.15 which is still a little too low for heliā€™s or increase to 0.18 or 0.20. See what you think of these.

I also noticed that you have your ATC_RAT_PIT_ILMI set to 0.04 and ATC_RAT_RLL_ILMI set to zero. Please set both of these to 0.08.

The other thing you could do is explore increasing your P and D terms for the axis that didnā€™t limit your progression of these gains. So for instance if roll axis limited the increase of the D gain then continue increasing the D gain for just the pitch axis. There are TUNE settings that allow you to increase only the pitch or roll gains individually with the knob.

Try the new ILMI and INPUT TC and refine your P and D tuning. Then post another log with the parameters.

Sounds good. I got more shaking on the pitch gain on p side. D side was the roll gain. Used the tune page to adjust rc feel. When ever I click on the tune page. It pops up a parameters missing warning. But still must change something. I did change the channel 6 setting according to the wiki tuning page. Do I need to increase the vff settings any more ?

You might want to do that in the parameter listing. I donā€™t exactly know what page that is in QGC. look for the parameter ATC_INPUT_TC. that is the replacement parameter for RC_FEEL.

Lets look at your traces with the ILMI adjusted.

fired up heli to do individual p and d gains on pitch and roll. was shaking all over the place. so i had to mess with a few thing before i finally found out that the d gain was set to .04 instead of .004. got that straightened out then i adjusted each individually. with the input and imli set where you said. final flight is the one posted. batteries were low so had to come to ground fast pretty short flight. i took all gains that i was working with and cut them in half as the wiki said. not sure why the rate line looks so fuzzy or wrinkled.

@Alan.h Things are looking good. I would take your filters down to 10 to help reduce the 1/rev coming through. It will mostly help with the D terms
INS_ACCEL_FILTER 10
INS_GYRO_FILTER 10
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT 10
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT 10
PSC_ACCZ_ FILT 10

I still think you are running your ATC_INPUT_TC too low. How is it flying for you? If you are happy with how it flies after making the filter changes, then go ahead and try loiter and see how it flies.

pretty windy today i am taking off and landing behind tree wind break. so kind of different when it hits the wind the collective is so much more reactive. when coming down as soon as i lose the wind i have to go from 1/4 collective to 5/8 collective or it wants to hit the ground with speed. i have a small vibration on spool up but seems to go away when it reaches full spin. when taking off i am not sure might have been the wind but wants to drag right skid low until air born the levels out some i know they hover with 1 stick low just heli nature. stab flew fine tried acro i get a flight change mode failed unless i disarm it. kid of weird. neither on the ground or in the air does acro switch with it armed in another mode. i put 2 logs up and stabstickmove is the one that was last to check traces of d and p. i did not do any adjusting of d and p due to the wind. the other is the stab and loiter mode flight. loiter seemed to work was a little different look. did not look like vibrations just maybe trying to stay with in 5 inch area and would make sharp corrections when it was going over its boundary if that make sense.

Thanks again for all the help alan

looks like my vibe y is getting up there a little. I just changed tail rotor blades the other ones were damaged long ago when it was shaking bad. same align blades so figured that would not hurt anything.

Traces on des and rates looks good to me now.

also i have been checking the baro alt and it says i was only flying 20 feet on a few of those flights. just to get over my 30 ft tall pine trees i should be higher than that. a few times i flew up to 60 ft at least just to fly it and see how it looked. was really fun flying it around. looked stable also. i donā€™t think i posted that flight. it was in acro also.

Alan,
Iā€™m not sure how to explain your issue with changing to Acro. So the code wonā€™t let you switch modes after arming until rotor runup is complete. once rotor runup is complete then you should be able to switch to acro. I will have to see a log to determine what is causing this.

Ok looking a little more closely at your logs. Although you may not see it visibly in the response of the aircraft, it appears that you still have some feedback oscillations going on. Your D term noise had cleaned up nicely as well as the noise on your z accel. So here are the changes I would like to see.
ATC_RAT_PIT_D 0.002
ATC_RAT_PIT_P 0.015
ATC_RAT_RLL_D 0.001
ATC_RAT_RLL_P 0.015

You can increase your ATC_ANG_PIT_P and ANG_RLL_P terms if you think it actual attitudes are not hold desired values. You can take them up to 6 as you see necessary. 0.5 increments.

You have some oscillation going on in the vertical axis with loiter. I would suggest taking
PSC_ACCZ_P to 0.25 to keep the feedback oscillations down.

beautiful morning no wind just bugs.
Made the changes and flies good
Tried to adjust ang and when i took it from 4.5 to 5 or 5.5 the shaking started again. I dropped as a test to 4 and no shaking. with it set back to 4.5 i tried loiter. it seemed to work great and smooth.

the file with the 5 and 5.5 is 40 mb so did not load it unless you need it.

Hi Alan, since we lowered the gains and didnā€™t touch the ANG_P settings, then go ahead and start moving out into doing some fast forward flight. If you see any type of oscillations start occurring bring it back in and pull the logs so we can look at it. You can also try Loiter at some increased speed. Again if you see any oscillations you either slow down or flip back into stabilize or acro, If everything checks out at the increase speed, then I would say you could start doing auto missions.

Edit: Sorry about the gibberish. I didnā€™t have my glasses so I didnā€™t do a good job of proofing it. Hopefully it makes better sense.

I will try to fly again Monday or Tuesday. Aa wife and kids claimed this afternoon Looks great so far. I flew at some a few times . but have no clue at how fast I was flying. Do the t logs tell the speed of flight or the what paramater on the copter log would I look for ? Thanks

Mine also was typing outside in the sun. Some should gave been speed. That would make a sentence.

stab flight went great. wind in kansas was 22 mph plus gusts so took off behind shelter belt trees. Flying into wind man this thing cooks. not sure how to tell how fast i was going ground or air speed.
Of course with wind was faster. flew side to side no shake.

then landed disarmed rearmed then took off at 20 ft i switched to loiter. flew great and not quite as fast. had a little shake when going into the wind the landing gear would move about an inch or 2 side to side when going forward. i did not back it into the wind. even flying side ways to wind i seen the landing gear shaking a little. slow shakes not bad tho.

i did turn on my safety checks on in the safety window.

I tried to play the tlog file in the replay window for q ground but it only showes me the location of the heli on the ground and the direction it is pointing . i never see it move or speed or elevation. not sure how this works. can you replay flights that were not auto missions?

after we get this thing tuned how do i set a gimble to aim straight down. i am building a prototype gimble with 2 servos i got it to function and i set the limits but have not found out how to set it to vertical down auto. so when the heli changes pitch it will always aim down. i ran a test with it suspended by the rotor. and i set a switch so i could aim it down then it worked when i pitched the heli different directions. but how do i make it into an auto flight setting so that i dont have to have the switch set it down manually when i am trying to fly. i think the gimble returning to home postiion on a landing comand would be safer also. and i can set a radio manual switch to flip to make it return to home position on the gimble.

Will be a little bit now. Had a booboo. Was flying auto mission. Yappu telemetry had been working all this time I was flying manually. Now that it was in auto. Was way slow on response. Waypoints on computer were counting up. For example Say the waypoint that it went thru was 28. The radio would mabey sometimes say 14. So way behind. Battery on x9d for the heli said 24.5. Th he whole flight. I knew something was wrong so at the time it came back I looked at computer and it said 22.7. Way to low. ESC shut down at 22.5. I switched to acro. Was coming down from 30 ft. Lost Power. Started an auto best I could. At 5 ft I flared the collective to land. Gust if wind lifted heli behind a bush so I could not see it. I gave it forward cyclic to do anything. To late I did not see it enter the pine tree at 2 ft up. Broke all blades. Boom on tail. 1 link on cylic to blade grip. 1 tooth on auto rotate gear. Tail drive shaft. Hope parts are cheapish. Thinking 300 should cover it. The heli Almost survived. ESC looks beat up. Batteries are ok. Everything works and looks fine so far.

Never let the ESC shut down the motor. Take the risk of losing your batteries because getting to low in such a situation than losing your Heli. All my ESC.s will not shut the motor off.
Sorry to read that you had a crash like that.

I had warnings set in the q ground and in the radio. Nothing was screaming at me cuz the auto pilot was still sending full battery down the line. The top of the computer screen still showed full batt. When I seen the digital readout on the right side of the flight screen I knew I was in trouble. The ESC was programmed with a soft let off but was not enough power to come in onā€¦ Blades had to be after the flare and gust must have been less then 500 rpm at impact. But trees are not nice. The yappu has been amazing with in hand warnings not sure why it was not sending the proper voltage from the auto pilot vs when it all works in loiter and stabilize. Auto should have returned to launch at 23.5 or 23 volt is where I had critical and warning set. On a side note flying auto was cool corners were not to smooth but better than a noob like me could do. Just used standard survey pattern. Probally should have tried to figure out how to spline the way points. Opened the corners to 50 ft over run. Got some more learning to do. Got to figure out the battery monitor situation. I had it saved with the breeze but that gust at last min and me standing near a bush I just lost sight of it for last 2 seconds.

That is a different story regarding the battery monitor. I was only saying you have to switch that off in your ESC because it is only good for manual flying of Helicopter but not when the Heli is further away on Mission.
The Battery Monitor in Mission Planner, that is what I am using, gives you the option of calibrating the power module you are installed for the Autopilot. That has to be done very accurately or nothing is working properly.
Good luck with your rebuilt. I hate those crashes, believe me I had some myself!
The last one (4 years ago) was wile I was testing Position Hold in my garden. The Heli ( a 500 RJX) was playing silly and suddenly the motor turned off. The Heli crash landed on my Green house where my wife was working in.
The problem was that I had the parameter FS_CRASH_CHECK = ON. That is also a No,No with a Heli. That has to be always set off (0). It is only good for Multi rotors.
The FC was believing those stupid flying tests I did was already a crash and turned the Motor off.
BTW. My wife asked me : Did you do that on purpose?
Nothing happen to her but it was close.
Edit:
Before somebody complains here that I am reckless.
My wife was told by me earlier that I am going to fly in the garden. She always stayed inside the house during my tests.
But not that day and I did not check. Definitely my fault.

Almost got it back together. What a learning project. I found out I have a 700e v2. I now have a manual for it. I Put 760 tail boom on it. 760 align blades. Tail gear ratio is going from 104 / 24. To 104/ 22. Not sure what that will do about hover settings. Thank goodness that most 700 parts still interchange with this old bird. Same motor and main gear so same 1600 headspeed. Decided to run 4 batteries 2series 2parallel. This should lower amp draw and give more flight time. Still have not figured out why the arducopter did not send right voltage to the radio so my warnings would have worked. It works fine when in any other mode. Directly after the crash I reconnected the batteries and yappu was saying low battery. It did display the correct voltage when in auto in q ground control on the lower right of the flight screen. But the battery icon at the top was still registering full. Along with the radio saying full. Will try it again when finally assembled. Thanks to everyone for the help. Hope I donā€™t have to many more issues.

HELP PLEASE

Heli has a minor vibration on spool up about halfway there. I can see the tail shaking once it is full 1550 head speed it goes away. I am guessing it is fine the vibrations are low. i flew it a few times today her are the flights and tlogs. The survey grid looked robotic in flight. i was guessing it was the nature of the standard waypoints. it did not fly like a helicopter at all it flew like a drone stiff and rigid. Then i recharged and did a new flight with minimal spline waypoints. It flew like a drunken monkey. i assumed it would make course corrections with the cylicic. as in left and right cyclic. NOOO it would weave and overshoot and stall out in space and weave and overshoot each correction came with a tail turn and an overshoot. not smooth at all. i think it was terribly inefficient. I am only getting 5 min flights out of 4500 12s i was getting i thought more than that out of the same batterys with smaller blades and more wind. i have more batterys coming. mabey i have damaged these cells with the few amp drains past the limit of 22.4 each as in 18 volt but they fell off at 22.5 to 18 and then the heli came to the ground. so didnt think it was long enought to hurt the cells. they were put on the charger right after. lessen learned bring the heli in at 23 volt. I am pulling a max of 30 amps average draw was 20 amps. 45c batterys. running 12pwm on ice 2 for the 700mx align motor. the software say that rpm with my gearing is 71% throttle. motor is 510kv and 10 poles. any idea how to make it more efficient. I am sitll not recieving the telemetery to the radio at real time. the radio recieves the warnings from the autopilot on time but the battery and the waypoint count is way off. like the computer says we went past waypoint 10 and the radio a few seconds later will say 6. and the battery finally updates to the radio when i have landed it and after a few min when i am going to unplug the batterys it says the correct voltage.

I thought i was ready too start experimenting with the gimabal i am designing with servos. but the way it flies there is no way it would even keep the nose the right direction.

All params are the same as the last one i sent above. besides i had to change collective min to allow 3 deg of negative pitch because loiter would not let it land at botttom stick.