Trajectory Driven ArduPlane Aerobatics

Coming soon! Matthew Hampsey, Tridge and I have been working on a new implementation of ArduPlane Aerobatics - which is trajectory driven - so the aircraft navigates during aerobatic maneuvers - which allows for very precise maneuvers and minimal effect from wind, etc

Our early efforts (not trajectory driven) are [documented here] (Arduplane autonomous aerobatics)

We hope to soon have this all-new quaternion-based approach incorporated into master - and in a week or so will have some SITL videos followed by flights on various models. We think you will really enjoy what this can do!

9 Likes

Hi @andyp, looking good. By the way, I added a picture at the top to make this blog appear prettier on ardupilot.org. Hope that’s OK… of course feel free to replace it with another picture if you like.

1 Like

A quick teaser… This picture does not look very interesting - just a rectangular circuit… but actually on close inspection the model is in knife edge flight for the circuit - and navigating the whole time… so wind correcting, etc :slight_smile: and just as simply the model could be rolling for the whole circuit… interesting and exciting stuff!

8 Likes

Not quite ready for prime time… but heading in the right direction!

Here is a half cuban eight, a cuban eight, and three inside loops :slight_smile: All trajectory driven - constant velocity, wind corrected…

p1

p2

p3

5 Likes

Today we had valuable input from Paul Riseborough - thank you Paul!

We are now thinking about #6 :slight_smile:

1 Like

80% on our way to a new aerobatics trajectory controller :slight_smile:

Red is desired path, green is actual path flown…

2 Likes

Out in real life :slight_smile: An example of a R/C Scale Schedule flown autonomously (find the barrel roll!) and the NZ Clubman Aerobatics Schedule… using my old Galactik 2m F3A model… I think it is working rather well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Long awaited. Can’t wait to see the final solution. Great work guys!!!