Taranis vs. Horus vs. Jumper - Which one to select and why?

With the R9 we don’t lose the link very often so it has not been a major issue. But if the link is lost for whatever reason, it won’t reset without rebooting the reciever. The RC control comes back just fine. Just the telemetry freezes.

It is perfectly safe. Been using it for years for that purpose. That contact cleaner is a dry solvent. The WD-40 penetrating oil dissolves corrosion on the contacts and wipers and cleans them, and prevents further corrosion (oxidation of the copper contacts), which is what is going to cause your pot to go bad again. I have fixed countless pots in radios with good old WD-40 with 100% success rate unless either the wiper or coil is completely gone in it. Some of them, depending on the design of the case of the pot, are hard to get the liquid inside it. If it’s a sealed pot then you can’t fix it. But most aren’t.

Same holds true with other electric things like four-pin trailer plugs. You got one that’s all green and corroded from salt and won’t make contact anymore on one or more of the pins? Soak it with WD-40 and plug and unplug it a few times and it will work again if the copper hasn’t been totally eaten away by the oxidation.

Yes, what I see exactly. I fly beyond R9 RC range occasionally and as you say RC control comes right back.

Yep. And it does not happen with the XJT 2.4 GHz module. Only the R9.

Well, I disagree but that’s fine. It is not designed for electronic products and its for pure mechanical devices lubrication purposes. It may void warranty on expensive products.

My cousin use Coca cola to remove rust of his harley :slight_smile: I know…

Dave, have you ever ground-distance tested your R9 vs the XJT module? I got two identical helicopters, one has the RX8R, the other has the R9. I fired up the electrical in both sitting side by side in the yard tonight, then started walking across our field with both transmitters (my wife carrying one). They both got low RSSI at about the same time. So we stopped and held each transmitter normally with the orientation you would normally use - facing the aircraft. The low RSSI quit but the signal was about 40 dB on both. I noted where we were based on some landmarks (line fence).

So we kept walking until one of them lost signal totally. The XJT dropped out first and I could get intermittent “critical signal” out of it, then drop, holding the transmitter normal. Kept on walking until we got the same thing from the R9M module.

When we got back in I mapped the distances based on my landmarks where this happened with the ground station.

~1,900 ft for the low RSSI (but still 40dB if I held the transmitter normally).
~2,600 ft for loss of signal on the XJT (2.4Ghz)
~3,000 ft for loss of signal with the R9

Equipment used was RX8R on the one, R9 on the other. Taranis-E with the XJT, Taranis X9D+ with the R9M.

This is not a good test for what you get in the air LOS, but it was fun to compare the two on a long-distance ground test. And not really all that much difference except on the fringe.

Hi Chris-I have done some testing as you describe with similar results. I plan on doing more as I just put a Moxon antenna on the radio. The 1st flight I flew with it telemetry dropped out as before, it was about 4km away with some obstructions. Better but same problem. I didn’t expect it to “fix” the issue as it would seem to be Frsky firmware related but I had hoped to get further.

I do wonder if the latest firmware would fix this. Are you running 2.x.x that supposedly fixes the issue nobody ever experienced? I’m not and I don’t have any ACCESS hardware either.

I got OpenTX 2.3.7 but that doesn’t fix the issue with the telem on the R9. I think that’s an issue in the receiver firmware and available bandwidth on the 33cm band. The channels aren’t as wide on 900MHz as they are on 2.4GHz so its harder to push data down the pipe.

I have no need or desire to do anything with ACCESS at the present time. I’m perfectly happy with good old proven ACCST.

Oh, this is another thing that might have slanted my ground distance experiment. The Taranis-E seems to have a better antenna than the X9D+ does on 2.4GHz because it is not a dipole on the E and has aluminum frame for ground. It is horizontally polarized, but I’ve never really seen a difference on the X9D+ between vertical and horizontal polarization either. If I would do the same test with both on 2.4GHz, a Taranis-E vs X9D+, the E would win on range by a pretty significant margin.

So going back to the original topic of this thread, Taranis vs. Horus.

Are we sticking with taranis X-9D Plus “or” QX-7 as the best systems out there by FrSky?

I think yes , and I suggest use jumper T-16 (I’m not marketing) , also you can use skydroid t12 and now he’s launch new product h16

Now depend on your hand :sunglasses:

Happy flying :slightly_smiling_face:

I will not buy a Jumper.

Post is about FrySky brands

p.s. How can you propose a product where you have not used any other or have you? Like Horus, Taranis, Futaba, Jr

My opinion is I’m not taking frsky x9d or Qx7 because it’s very old school like 3 or 5years old (3 to 5 years old technology) and we are live in 2020 (newer technology century) it’s no doubt about x9d or Qx7 is still running good but it’s too old in my way to see.

I hope you understand happy flying :slightly_smiling_face:

New stuff is not always better. It’s just newer. Stuff that has been around for years and is still popular is called “stands the test of time”. That’s usually the best stuff there is. And the Taranis fits that category fairly well.

1 Like

Chris I agree with you. Futaba 18MZ is newer but its like a brick in my hand. I prefer 14MZ

Lol some of my 20 year machines are more reliable then newer ones and its because they didn’t cut corners To reduce cost and improve profits.

You need to come up with rock solid arguments ( doesnt Need strong hands for that). Newer is better is just a marketing slogan.

The dams in our country are 100 years old. Should we demolish them? :slight_smile:

The only way you could call an X9D or a QX7 “Old School” is if you want ACCESS. Other than that those radios run the the latest OpenTx firmware. I’m happy to adopt the latest tech but to call these radios Old School is premature.

1 Like

So Far I am pretty happy with Taranis.

Not looked into ACCESS yet. What are the advantages?

Also, there is S-Port came out which is basically like an I2C daisy chain concept (at a very high level)

Over the Air firmware update. 24 channels, lower latency. It’s not compatible with ACCTS though so if you already have hardware it’s a tough sell. For the new buyer its painless.

so like old Futaba radios we got rid of them, throw away the radios we just bought 4 years ago :)…kidding

I think electronics and technology has now less than 2 years life span.

I am upgrading 4G to 5G, get ready your $1500 iphone will be obsolete by the end of next year :slight_smile:

I’m in the same dilemma w/ my X9D+. I’d like to pickup the full color screen. Just like @ChrisOlson, I had the first gen X12S Horus; bought on preorder. I didn’t like it either but was able to sell it on RCGroups only a few weeks after buying it. Now, did FrSky improve on the X12S shortcomings in the X10S? I also own a Jeti DS-24 which also has Lua scripting too. So, what’s the final answer on Taranis v. Horus?