Taranis vs. Horus vs. Jumper - Which one to select and why?

Product name, see pic above

But as per @dkemxr thats not the case… now I am more confused.

Not true. There are many people posting on here using -Wings for Multirotors. Any output can be used for motors. There is consideration for timing groups relative to motors and servos (can’t mix them) but this is no big deal.

My Horus X10S arrived.

Very confusing…

It has battery case for two LiIon 18650 batteries.

Ok fine. I plugged in two…

But it didnt came with any wall charger and has no charge port.

What am I missing, how do u charge the batteries inside the Tx!!!

can you provide me an objective evidence of this claim?
Now I am really curious :slight_smile:

Read the Wiki. Like here for the F405-Wing.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-matekf405-wing.html

Dshot capability

All motor/servo outputs are Dshot and PWM capable. However, mixing Dshot and normal PWM operation for outputs is restricted into groups, ie. enabling Dshot for an output in a group requires that ALL outputs in that group be configured and used as Dshot, rather than PWM outputs. The output groups that must be the same (PWM rate or Dshot, when configured as a normal servo/motor output) are: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8/9 , and 10.

Outputs

The first 8 servo/motor outputs are marked on the board: M1,M2,S3-S8 . S9 is a solder pad on the board, and S10 is connected to the pin marked LED in ArduPilot’s definition. Using S10 allows the easy grouping for odd numbers of motors with a common DShot or PWM frequency without sacrificing the use of an output for servo use due to rate issues (see above Dshot discussion).

Or the fact there is a ArduCopter firmware target for them:

https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/MatekF405-Wing/

Same applies to the F65-Wing.

Or, how about a Helicopter running Arducopter?

The Matek is just hardware… A flight controller with IMUs, inputs and outputs. Its Arducopter/Arduplane that dictates the craft

You could use one for a Rover or an Antenna Tracker :grinning:

@smartdave @dkemxr

See my Horous horror story above…

Looks like you need an 18650 battery charger

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B07BFWHD7G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=VPYBS2GEDTIK&dchild=1&keywords=18650+charger&qid=1590291658&sprefix=18650+%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTU1MS0lMNzlYSUdHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU0NzUzMjRYWFlFSVJQMVZXUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjYyODE1MjFJSzNNVDZJT1RKMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

No way I am doing this crap…this is crazy

I will return this radio

1 Like

Get the one I PM’d you. Comes with everything and a carry case to

Mine came with case as well, but looks like they have two different designs.

So the one you have, the Tx has a port where you plug in the wall mount charger…right?

can you post pic of the power jack…i want to show it to readymade RC…

they don’t have carbon fiber look in stock…

Dave,

Thanks for pointing me to the FW and Ardupilot document. I see in the note section says “Support for this board is available with Copter-3.6.0 (and higher)”. I also understand that there are signal (Servo pins) available to hook up esc signal wires, but what I am unable to understand is where and how you would mount the 3 & 4 ESC positive and negative leads since there are only two pads available?

A wiring diagram would be very helpful.

Connect the battery power and ground leads however you want. The board just gives pads for convenience for 2 motors. A separate PDB like you would use for all non AIO boards would be typical. Solder leads from one of the 2 FC pads to supply the PDB or to a 4-1 ESC battery input.

All of these types of boards, called “closed source” in the Wiki, began support with Copter 3.6 or higher. F765-Wing requires 4.0. But you want the latest stable version anyway.

Don’t you want an Express radio for ACCESS compatibility? if you are spending “big $$” for a Frsky radio I would think you would. Otherwise a Jumper or Radiomaster will do for 1/2 the price (or less).

“big $$” in the market segment that supports Frsky gear of course, not comparing to Futaba or Spectrum diamond encrusted radios.

I am keeping it, just getting a different unit. The one I got uses two Li-ion batteries. It appears there are two different versions out there. I may just keep the one I got and modify the battery compartment with 2s battery. Banggood is selling one li-ion battery pack or I would most likely 3d print the battery bay that goes inside the radio and u can double the battery capacity using larger battery pack.

Interestingly it did charge via the USB port. You must use a 2.1A USB charger else it will not charge the Li-ion batteries.

Installed open TX. Today I will play around with it and see what I learn.

p.s. if you get one make sure backup Horus software before open Tx upgrade. If something goes wrong during open Tx upgrade “or” in the future you need to modify the RF, you have to have original Horus operating system copy.

Upgrade guide https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/HOW%20TO/FrSky%20Horus%20X10S-X10%20System%20Firmware%20Flashing%2012-04.pdf

Also, these instructions are accurate…

Here is the pics of the power plug you asked for

And the Batteries

Mine has no DC plug port…and it only uses two Li-Ion batteries charged via USB port.

Why do they have two different versions of X10S?