T-motor f66 esc overheating problem

Hello everyone
I’m new to this forum and the hobby. I’m trying to assemble a quad with these components:
Pixhawk cube orange
T motor v2808(or v3008) with prop 8040
T motor f66a esc
6s, 5000 mah 75 c battery pack( tattu)

The max amp of v2808 with 8040 prop according to datasheet is 62 amps;
I have overheating problem of esc i suppose
After running motor at 50% throttle for 50 seconds one of the motors start stuttering and stops, and other motors stop at once and the esc sounds confused making beeps which i suppose indicates overheating
Unfortunately i couldn’t connect telemetry properly( i have connected telemetry wire of the esc to reciver pin of telemetry 1 but no luck recieving data)

Any ways, i was wondering what is the problem.
I don’t think overheating at 50% throttle would be normal.
I’m sure it’s not because of pid because i tested things in motor tab

I think may be esc caliberation is wrong, i currently caliberated esc with normal type selected in esc calibration tab
I tried dshots( with different speeds) but no luck running motors correctly at all.
I read the firmware to be blhelli32 for f66 which should support dshots but i can’t seem to get things right here

What should i do? Any help?
I have caliberated accels, radio and other things
But i think this problem only relates to esc and caliberation or smth else that i’m not familiar with

Any information would be appreciated :pray:

Can you tell me how you calibrated your esc’s

They are BLHeli_32 ESC’s so configure for Dshot600, don’t change it and troubleshoot from there. No ESC calibration is required for any Dshot protocol.
Post your parameter file, perhaps it’s just a configuration error. The most common is expecting Dshot to work on the main outputs.

What you should really do is flash the Bdshot version of firmware. Connect the ESC’s to the Aux outputs and configure it for Dshot600 and Bdshot.

I go to esc caliberation tab
Select esc type: normal
Press caliberation button
Proceed with the instruction
Esc and motors start beeping and finish caliberation
And i disconnect batter and replug fc to my laptop

You would only do this when using PWM ESC protocol. You have BLHeli_32 ESC’s capable of Dshot, that would make no sense at all.
After connecting to Mission planner what does this message say in the messages screen?
rcout
If it says this then it’s not configured for Dshot.
And again, post your parameters file.

Would you pls tell me what should i exactly do?
Roght now my esc is connected to main out pins of fc
You say i should connect them to aux out and go to esc caliberation tab and do the caliberation?

i’m really new to working with pixhawk and ardupilot. I’m so sorry if some of the things i say may make no sense! :sweat_smile:

I’m telling you to post a parameters file.
Then connect the ESC’s to AUX outputs 1-4 and configure the servo outputs.
Configure the ESC’s for Dshot, there are several parameters.
You should NEVER need to use the ESC Calibration Tab for any reason.

And this is what you need to see in that Banner Message:
rcout
Read This
And this

Ok thank you for your guidance
I will do what you said and reach out to you soon which hopefully be tomorrow.

You could post the parameter file now if the craft is available. It could potentially save a bunch more posts as you circle closer to the solution.

1 Like

Agree T motor f66a esc are BLHeli_32 you just need to power cycle and arm.

1 Like

Unfortunately i don’t have access to the drone and my laptop rn. I will post the parameters as soon as i get to the drone. Thank you for your time

1 Like

hello again
yes this is the message i see:
and this is the parameter file:
parmeters list01.param (17.1 KB)

Update1: i did connect esc to aux 1-4 and changed servo outputs 9-12 to motor 1-4 and disabled servo outputs 1-4
changed the [MOT_PWM_TYPE] to number 6 which is dshot600
and right now i have running motors.
for now i ran motors at 80%-no props for 60 seconds and i have warm rather hot motors and i hear some kind of noise from motor as if the signal is oscilating or smth(by the way i’m testing in motor tab, no controller is involved)
the message is:

this is my parameter file now:
parmeters list02.param (17.1 KB)

Progress but you missed some parameters:
SERVO_BLH_AUTO,1
SERVO_BLH_BDMASK,3840
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC,1

And you are correct to test them in the Motor Tab.
You will have to connect to BLHeliSuite to change a parameter in the ESC firmware. “Low RPM Power Protect” may have to be disabled with those kV motors.
Get it from here BLHeliSuite

thank you
i did changed those parameters
i have another problem for connecting telemetry wire of esc to fc
i have connected the telemetry wire to telemetry 2(or 1) of fc according to this:

so just one wire from telemetry of esc is connected to pin 3 of telemetry of cube

in ardupilot i have changed SERIALx_PROTOCOL=2
i don’t know the baudrates

Know how to do a Google search? In the future try something like this:
“arducopter esc telemetry”
You will see you are not setting those parameters correctly.

With Bdshot you will get ESC RPM anyway w/o the telemetry connection.

i was doing so according to this note:

now i see my mistake

i have the rpm, temp and voltage

sorry i was confused

what KV version of the motor did you get? only the 1300 and 1500 kv versions will run on 6s with an 8inch propeller.

1 Like

for 2808 i have 1300 kv and for 3008 i have 1155

have checked if the esc is overheating by touching it after you stop it, ? if its too hot to keep your finger on then its probably overheating.

yes it’s really hot
but with the new modification Dave told me i think situation got better
i have tested 60% throttle for 1 minute and the temp checking by hand was 50 or so.

i will test 50% throttle for 5 minutes and 80% throttle for 5 minutes tomorrow to see the results.

will post temps after i had time testing them