Switch disarm while in flight, crashed, how to make disarming safer?

Hey guys, I was trying to change flight modes and instead hit the wrong switch and just disarmed while 170ft in air. I couldn’t re-arm in time to save it.

Here are some thoughts I had:

• use red color on arming switch
  • use double switches for arm/disarm (sticky)
  • use a POT for arming
  • use a 5s delay function on Taranis + voice command

What do you guys do to avoid silly user errors like this? Thankfully my drone survived for the most part.

What firmware version are you using. Can you post DF logs ?

I have run into the same issue (same altitude and result!). IMO, the disarm mode needs to be “nearly” instantaneous for safety. I have programmed it to a second level soft switch. The two button press is less likely to be accidentally triggered, and is still very quickly engaged. se

Steve, we are now disarm brothers. Thanks for the suggestion! I’m thinking of overlaying some sound and maybe a 2 second delay at a minimum to disarming.

In OpenTX I’ve configured the motor kill channel to activate when a switch is on AND throttle < 20%. This guards against most accidental switch movement while flying.

I always wondered whether a midair disarm is possible. Since I feared it is I never had a disarm switch on the rc. I think there should be a configuration option to choose whether a midair disarm is possible, including a setting at which altitude it is no longer allowed.

BTW.: which szenario would require a midair disarm?

PS.: The same thing concerns reboot. Is it possible to reboot the flight controller via Mission Planner in midair? I think that would cause a desaster too.

I always wondered whether a midair disarm is possible. Since I feared it is I never had a disarm switch on the rc. I think there should be a configuration

Yes, absolutely. It’s awesome. Don’t do it unless you mean it - like
when the vehicle thinks it’s 20m up because it’s bouncing up and down on
the ground with broken props…

I like some of the suggestions people here have had on transmitter
configuration.

option to choose whether a midair disarm is possible, including a setting at which altitude it is no longer allowed.

This is a “more than enough rope” option. Don’t put it on a switch if
you’re going to use it accidentally - we have stick-arming for a more
conservative option :slight_smile:

BTW.: which szenario would require a midair disarm?

PS.: The same thing concerns reboot. Is it possible to reboot the flight controller via Mission Planner in midair? I think that would cause a desaster
too.

Used to be able to. We’ve got a patch in master which says “no”.

1 Like

Disarm switch is a very important safety feature and it must be instantaneous without any delay. Restricting it is bad idea since in a flyaway situation your last chance is a coordinated crash by disarm. Use a good programmable or scripting capable remote and set up disarm switch on a way that you cannot activate it unintentionally.

Just for my understanding, are there flyaway szenarios where a disarm is working but a switch to stabilize and throttle down not?

Up to now I did not have only few probable flyaways and switching modes always saved me.

Switch to stab is also a possibility to save, but a wrong accelerometer or gyro or a really upset EKF can cause surprises.

1 Like

Just for my understanding, are there flyaway szenarios where a disarm is working but a switch to stabilize and throttle down not?

You’d have to contrive circumstances for the latter to not work.
Switching to stabilise/acro is NOT guaranteed, but you have to work at it
if the vehicle is off the ground.

Up to now I did not have only few probable flyaways and switching modes always saved me.

Also note the motor interlock options… as opposed to disarm, these do
allow you to reverse your decision.

1 Like

Ha! The brotherhood of emergency shutdowns! That is why I have decided to avoid a delay. Two buttons and down. 10 meters/sec is pretty fast, imo, and my 2450 based race quad build…

I didn’t know that option, but that seems to be a very good one. I will implement that. Any ideas which switches would be good for that on the Taranis X9D? I’m thinking of LS and RS together?

I just use single switches on my 9XR… one for disarm, one for estop.

1 Like

I’m thinking do a regular switch to arm and double trim switch up to disarm.

1 Like

Aloha! You folks all have very nice radios! On the stock transmitter (equipped with a $5.00 Traxxas 5dbi antenna and tx pwr set to 8), the power button was disarm. It is now Brake Mode. Disarm is Mode + Power. For those folks working with the stock struff. se

1 Like

I did this… twice (ya, some people learn slow) Used switch that was too easy to manipulate accidentally the first time, second was a wardrobe malfunction.

I replaced switch with digi-key 450-2170-ND. Minimum of work.

There are cases when a mechanical interlock is necessary between the error source, and the device. :upside_down_face:

Anyone try Brake Mode?

Hi Tobias,
I am new New to SkyRocket(2450) boards and OpenTX,
a) Can you recommend any resource for mapping the switches, or what would you recommend? I have a FlySky Nirvna OpenTX with either an OrangeRX or Spektrum transmitter module (coming).
b) what link would tell me what the options in the webserver access point under the transmitter section that I would (to manipulate?) specific to the 2450 f/c? (or which switches correspond to the 2450 wap switch options)?
Thanks in advance (Finally bought a Flysky OpenTX radio/OrangeRx module which appears to be working in ppm mode(?) and with the Spektrum module available soon). If there is any resource for this info in copter, it looks like I have overlooked it?

Mahalos-se

Hi Steve,

I don’t think you mean me, I do not have any of the parts you describe… . But on youtube you find a lot of Taranis how tos. I have realised a very nice motor interlog switch with the help of the logical switches (it does not work yet, I thought the pwm value should be high to enable the motors but some how it does not work…). You can find that on youtube