Suggestion for a controller

Summer is here. I want to restart my quad copter project. What is the best controller to purchase? I see that revolution is supported but I cannot buy a revolution it seems. What are the popular controllers?

What is your price range? Flight Controllers range from ~$60 to >$1000
“The best controller to purchase” doesn’t have an answer.

1 Like

Well, $60 would be great if it is ArduPilot compatible and does the job. I am curious how Ardupilot can interface with so many different controllers. I have a revolution that I have used with LibrePilot but I don’t want to invest a lot of time (re)learning to use a controller that is no longer available in case I wanted to purchase another one. I do not understand the wide variation in prices.

Thanks for your reply.

There are many.
Ardupilot supported FC’s
I would suggest replacing the old board you have. If low cost is the primary driver look at boards from Matek and Holybro.

I wonder how Ardupilot can work with so many different controllers. Does Ardupilot have to be recompiled for every controller?

Why is Bluetooth necessary? Does Bluetooth work with mission planner programs? Since Bluetooth is short range, I would think that BT would only be used locally, i.e. within 100 feet of the drone, yes?

And again, are mission planner apps the same for every controller?

Where can I get some info on how all this works?

It’s not, in fact BT sucks. It’s just one of several wireless technologies that can be used. Don’t know where you got that.

You could read the comprehensive documentation available.
Ardupilot

I gather that a matek F7 or maybe a H7 controller would be the best.

If I build a quad, can I then download and run different firmware into the F7? SW like BetaFlight or innavflight?

Would ArduPilot download firmware into any of the F? modules?

As to Bluetooth, how is telemetry sent back to the operator? Do I need a seperate telemetry transmitter and receiver?

What is the difference between ArduPilot and Mission planner?

Read the Documentation. The questions you are asking are very basic and answers would be simply repeating what’s already documented.

1 Like

Be aware Matek needs a lot of soldering. Holybro not.

Holybro makes a variety of board types. Some no different than Matek in that regard. Plenty of soldering on this board:
Holybro

1 Like