Stuck thread and failed data logging error

Hello,
I am having a Matek h743 slim v3 FCB. After all the details up done. A 2gb SD card is inserted.
Since then, I am getting errors like … Stuck thread and failed logging.
What can be a solution to this issue?

Try a better, faster sdcard.

1 Like

Hi @sjdroner,

Thanks for the report.

You’re using Copter-4.5.0-beta1 of course? If “yes” could I ask that you install Copter-4.4.x and confirm the issue continues? Sorry to ask you to do more work but if possible I would like to confirm whether this only happens on 4.5.0.

1 Like

For sure. .

Yes. The moment I found that probably I am using 4.5.0 - dev version, I installed 4.4.4 stable version. The result remains the same. Actually worsened. In 4.5.0, FCB responds after 5 minutes. In 4.4.4, FCB is not responding at all.
(This change in copter version to 4.4.4 was done after reporting the issue).

As suggested by another member, I will check with another sd card today and will post an update.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @rmackay9

After installing 4.4.4, the FCB is not at all responding in either ways.

1. Without any sd card - it shows red light and then there is no tone of initialising. This tone used to sound instantly after power ON. (when there was no sd card)

2. With old SD card - after 4.4.4, it is not responding even after 5 minutes.

3. With new Sd card class 10 32Gb SanDisk - same as point no. 2

Question is why fcb is not responding without SD card?

Hi @sjdroner,

I’ve added this to the 4.5.0 issues list so it won’t be forgotten and hopefully we can find someone else with this autopilot confirm the requirement for an SD card.

1 Like

Hello
I tried flashing arduplane and then again flashing copter version 4.4.4. still FCB shows red light. No sd card inserted .

Am I selecting wrong firmware?
I have flashed matekh743.
Should I go with matekh743- bdshot?

@sjdroner,

Any chance you could use MP which should automatically install the correct firmware?

It shouldn’t matter if the regular or -bdshot firmware is used. The -bdshot firmware is just for when you plan to use bi-directional dshot.

EDIT: another developer has confirmed that 4.5.0-beta1 boots (for him) with no SD Card inserted. This points to a potentially hardware failure on the autopilot you’ve got.

Mission planner cannot be used to install the firmware.

I need to use Cube programmer software and then install an already downloaded firmware from ardupilot website.

@rmackay9 I mentioned the same.
FCB boots with 4.5.0 without SD card, instantly.
FCB boots with 4.5.0 with sd card - after 5 minutes

FCB doesn’t boot with 4.4.4 with or without SD card

I suspect there is some kind of hardware failure on the board and it might be displayed if you can attach a terminal to the USB port on the autopilot. That’s tricky though because the message may appear very soon after startup.

@peterbarker,

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how we could track down what the issue is?

Hello

I just tried again and found that, the moment I insert the SD card, it gives log failure message. So, I am planning to disable the log and then take a test flight.

Do you think that switching to Beta Flight or INav and then switch back to ardupilot, will work out in any way?

Sometimes re-formating the SD card helps.

1 Like

Already done that multiple times.
But I will try once again.

Hi @sjdroner,

I guess you’ve replaced the SD card as well? I think you have but just in case.

I can’t imagine how changing to another software and then back again would make any difference. The reason that some people suggest changing to another AP firmware (e.g. from Copter to Plane and then back to Copter again) is because this clears all the parameter values held in eeprom. The same thing can be accomplished by following the instructions here.

Yup. I do agree. But I just thought that it is better to try something than just keep thinking about a solution.

I have tried exFAT as well as FAT32 cards. 2 GB and 32gb capacity.

I will otherwise fly it out disabling the logs. At least I will come to know about it’s physical performance.

1 Like

Hi @sjdroner,

I guess you don’t have another identical autopilot? I suspect there’s a hardware issue with the board you’ve got because other developers have reported it works.

In particular @rishabsingh3003 posted this image from MAVProxy connected to a Matek-H743 with no SD card inserted. I will ask him if he can confirm logging works when an SD card is inserted.

1 Like

Yes @rmackay9
Logging with sd card is important.

I don’t think this device has enough memory to save logs with in-built memory. In case if it is possible. That is enough for me.

@sjdroner,
I think you now tried everything and therefore it looks like a hardware problem of your special autopilot.
But as the SD-port is direct connected to the controller chip there is also a risk that not only this single port is affected under all conditions.
Did you checked the board and the SD-Card connector optical for any abnormals ?

@sjdroner,

Another core dev team member confirmed that logging is working fine with the Matek-H743 on Copter-4.5.0-beta so we’ve had two devs confirm that it’s working so I think this must be a hardware issue with the particular autopilot you’re using. If it’s new and hasn’t been crashed perhaps you can RMA it… or maybe they’re cheap enough to just buy another.

1 Like