Storm32 Gimbal wont connect

Hello all. Any help would be appreciated. I have a storm 32 3 axis gimbal, its all wired and powered. I cant get my Orange Cube to talk to it. It connects to the gimbal tool just fine via usb, and shows mavlink set to ‘emit’. I am connecting to GPS 2/Serial 4, so i have serial 4 set to mavlink 2 as well. I have my RC channels set to ‘mount1roll’ etc. I have MNT1 set to storm32 mavlink (option 4). RC input is received in MP. I have had this working before with it wired as is, but had to reset the cubes firmware for other reasons, and can’t get this back to communicating now. I don’t remember any issues getting it going before.

Here is my params;
Params.param (19.5 KB)

I thought about playing with these, but i barely know what im doing with these.

Another thing, when i got this working the first time this page worked. I guess now the was a firmware update that broke this page in MP, and it still needs to be fixed. Is this why my Gimbal wont work maybe?

What Ardupilot firmware version are you using at the moment? SToRM32 Mavlink isn’t enabled in Copter 4.5.0 for the Cube Orange, and latest has neither SToRM32 Mavlink or Serial enabled. You’ll need to build your own firmware with SToRM32 Mavlink enabled in this case.

you also have read the first few lines here, right?
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-storm32-gimbal.html

latest 4.5.3, latest MP

OOOooohhh. Let me try serial.

Won’t work via MAVLink then unless you build a custom Ardupilot firmware. And listen to what @olliw42 has to say, he literally developed the gimbal firmware.

Alright, set MNT1 to option 5 Storm serial.

Set the serial port 4 to Gimbal.

Still no action, here is the latest params;
Params.param (19.5 KB)

So is it just not doable on the latest firmware? Even on serial mode? I dont care which mode works, just want it to work.

As to making my own firmware, i’ve never done that.

Oh no, it is. But you need to build it yourself with the features you need enabled (and some features you don’t need disabled, or the file will be too big). Either manually, or you use this: https://custom.ardupilot.org/

NB: “latest” means 4.6.0-dev, which isn’t guaranteed to not make your drone crash/explode/kill you. (It should work fine, but you might want to choose 4.5.3.)

I’m on 4.5.3, try to use stable unless there’s a reason not to.

With 4.5.3 you can either try getting it to work via serial (depending on what version your gimbal firmware runs with, apparently), or you build 4.5.3 with SToRM32 MAVLink enabled.

No change. Build a custom firmware, added the mavlink option as you showed. Changed all settings back to mavlink. Made sure i could still connect with the config tool, made sure emit mavlink was on. I then made the serial port to mavlink 2. still nothing.

Latest params;
Params.param (19.4 KB)

you understand that you use a gimbal with a firmware version which is kind of a billion years old, right?
why do you think there is a recommendation to use serial when one uses that billion years old firmware?
the docs which you got a link for says that for serial you also need to change a setting in the storm32 controller, did you do that?

Can i upgrade it beyond the 090 firmware? When i select firmware upgrade within your software tool, it shows 90 as the highest available.

I didn’t see the part about changing a setting in the gimbal firmware. Just that it needs the mavlink emit option on to use mavlink. so right now that setting is on.

EDIT: Oh I see, i need to disable the mavlink emit option for serial. Ill try it tomorow.