Standard sub 250 gr Copter Build and Tune project - 3” Mid Range

On my 1st 3 inch build I used the Diatone Roma 3 incher and ive just started an other 3 incher and am using a 3 inch I flight frame that was in my spares box both take 2 board stack’s

Hi Marty,
if you remember well I had already talked about the frame Rome (like my city!) some messages back in this thread. It could be a good choice (now the 3 "also exists in two versions). I had given priority to the other two because they are made on a single piece and therefore lighter.

In addition, the proposed frames are slightly smaller (even less expensive) and suitable for using the same propeller motors that I have already used in my previous build and they work well. On a sub 250 grams are precious!

1 Like

Hi Alberto,it was because of your success with the Rome frame that I bought it and thank you for that

Attention, I have NOT used the Roma (never said), I used this one, which is excellent and resistant (it has suffered several crashes during tests with TF luna lidar), cheap, but has the defect of having only a 20x20 stack and be a little heavy.

I am sorry I thought you used the Rome frame any way I have it and it is good, I like it a lot,im building a I flight 3 incher now with special features then may get an other 3 incher to build over the x mas period as these are great interesting and challenging projects that keep me occupied

No problem Marty. If you get good results, you might want to think about sharing them in this thread or on the blog. Thanks

1 Like

I will do Alberto,as these 3 inchers are awesome,though i have work to do on the optiflow set up

For 3" my overall favorite is the Armattan Gecko. Cannot be beaten. I have two.

1 Like

I have my eye on one of them at HobbyRC Andy will be my next frame around middle Nov

Hi Andy,
it sure is a good frame, but it costs 80 euros and it is a bit heavy. I would however like the project to be quite cheap too, otherwise it could possibly cost like a DJI, although still produced a sub 250 FPV

1 Like

I don’t think people use AP to be cheap - they use it because it works and are prepared to pay a little more to get there. My focus with standard builds was on utility rather than price - not least because you get what you pay for and I don’t want to spent lots and lots of time debugging issues with hardware that is substandard.

2 Likes

I prefer to design while also balancing costs. DJI works fine too and I don’t have to take into account the debugging time that they have already done. Trying to keep prices reasonably low would help increase the popularity of arducopters even among hobby quadcopters. Obviously that’s my opinion :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

I have been using this thread to help me design a sub 250g Ardupilot based quad, it has been a very informative.

I have a question about flight controller choices. The list of “hardware options” gives the Omnibus Nano V6 as a full Ardupilot capable FC but knowbody has mentioned it in this thread even though it is significantly less expensive then the Matek and Flywoo F745 options.

Am I missing something about the Omnibus Nano? Is it missing something crucial? Just looking for thoughts. Thank you.

https://store.myairbot.com/omnibusf4nanov6.html
https://store.myairbot.com/flight-controller/omnibusf4nanov7.html

Dino

It’s a 1MB F405 board, so missing some features such as script support. For most users it’ll be completely fine, and the custom build server means you can juggle what is in/out, but mcu’s with 2MB flash like F765 or H743 avoid those concerns completely at the moment.

2 Likes

Omnibus uses a less powerful processor (F4) and only has 1MB to store the arducopter fw, so you will have to give up some features. the good news is that these are non-essential features on small quads.
Another good inexpensive choice is the kakute F4 mini v2

One of the major drawbacks of the OmnibusNanoV6 is the missing SD card slot. Without log files every quirky behavior of the AutoPilot will result in a lot of guess work. In case of looking for a small board today I would recommend a something like the Matek H743-Mini.

1 Like

Block logging works on the Omnibus V6 Nano but I agree it’s not a great flight controller. I had one on a 3" when it was the only 20x20 Arducopter choice. Now it’s in a Plane and The Matek H743-mini is in the small quads. Kakute F7 Mini is a good choice too. No Sd card either but Block logging again works fine.

2 Likes

Huh interesting, thank you for the input.

I’ve also been looking at the Flywoo Goku F745 Nano 20A Stack 16x16mm, being a f745 processor the flash capacity should be at least 1Mb, but after reading this thread I see this is not necessarily the case. This is unfortunate since it seems like a nice package with the flywoo 4in1 esc.

Dino

Just received an email news from Flywoo about the 1MB version of GOKU GN 745 40A AIO BL_32 V1.2. They are now back to stock. The price, however, seems a bit high at $119.

2 Likes

good, but the price is high. but in general, however, the prices have risen too much on all components