Standard sub 250 gr Copter Build and Tune project - 3” Mid Range

I would take this ( 20A version). It is compatible with arducopter and maybe it can be modified to discharge 18650 cells below 3V, however I have never tried and had to be experimented with this proposal.

1 Like

The Flywoo listing has been incorrect since they were released. Credit to @LavaChemist for discovering this. I now have every version of the Flywoo F745 FCs and have verified they have 1MB flash.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-flywoo-f745.html

The Flywoo F745 Nano 16x16 FC is only 2.3g, and the companion 4-in-1 ESCs are 2.3-2.5g depending on amp rating. I think it’s pretty amazing a 2.3g FC can have an F745, 7 full UARTs, I2C, on-board barometer, OSD, 8M blackbox, 2 ADCs, and 8 motor/PWM outputs.

For RC/telemetry, I think the Siyi FM30 with a FR mini RX is worth a look. The receiver is only 1.5g, but is capable of 100mW telemetry output and works well with Mavlink and MP/QGC via BT built into the TX. It uses the same SX1280 RF chip as the ELRS project (and can be flashed to ELRS fw).

Regarding the 2s Li-ion low -voltage issue, here is a helpful video on modifying a 2s+ ESC to be able to work at <6V:

I’ve had the best luck with Sony VTC6 cells, and found that adding a decent sized electrolytic capacitor on the power pads of the FC/ESC makes a big difference in stability and system performance when the voltage gets low.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is no longer true - someone on discord verified that the flywoo they received was indeed 512K

1 Like

Good to know! Do you know which model specifically?

I don’t know, but:

STM32F745VG - 1MB
STM32F745VE - 512K

So probably depends on their stock of parts and what they put on since they pin compatible

I posted on here: GOKU HD 745 EVO 40A AIO BL_32 DJI PLUS & PLAY (20mm X 20mm ) – FLYWOO - it would probably help if others did the same, maybe they will get the message!

1 Like

I found the discussion on Discord, looks like you’re way ahead of me! Have you also emailed Flywoo directly?

A note should probably be added to the Flywoo F745 hardware pages in the documentation.

done, we hope it serves something

What is every ones thoughts on the Matek H 743 mini board please,many thanks

At the moment it still remains the best choice for me. H7 and 2MB in 20x20 format. If we add modified esc it’s even better.

1 Like

Thank you Alberto,im using it witha Aikon 32 bit 35amp esc probably a bit overkill for my set up the esc I mean

If the dimensions and weights are ok, why not? Watch the video that was posted on the modified esc

1 Like

I don’t mean to keep derailing this thread, but I sent an email today to ally_flywoo@outlook.com and flywoofpv@outlook.com requesting they create a line of “Ardupilot compatible” FCs using MCUs with >1MB flash. Specifically, I requested FCs using one of the following MCUs: STM32F745VG, STM32F765VG, STM32F765VI, STM32H743VG, and STM32H743VI. All are available in the 100-pin LQFP package, and I believe are pin-compatible with their existing FC designs. The STM32F765VI or STM32H743VI would be ideal, as the 2MB flash would make it compatible with all possible Ardupilot builds and features. I also pointed them to this forum should they have any questions.

I am sure the current chip shortage is causing all sorts of issues for FC manufacturing, and it is likely what caused them to start incorporating VE MCUs in the first place. Hopefully as supply chains stabilize they will be able to use a consistent MCU so we can purchase without hesitation.

If you are interested, I would suggest sending an email to the above addresses requesting an Ardupilot compatible FC line. Hopefully with enough pestering they will come through :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They are great. I have one and an Aikon AK32PIN V2 on a quad. It’s really a 4" with low pitch 5" props.

1 Like

Thank you Dave,that will be my setup

As a final wrap-up, I received a response from Flywoo. They confirmed that parts availability was the reason they had to switch to VE MCUs, but were open to creating Ardupilot-compatible boards in the future as soon as a supply of chips becomes available.

I would still encourage others to reach out and express interest so they know there is a demand!

3 Likes

Just a short follow up. The Merry135 frame I ordered from Aliexpress arrived. Unfortunately it is without doubt the poorest quality carbon milling I have encountered, ever.

I can’t in good conscience recommend that frame as part of a standard build.

1 Like

Hi @james_pattison,

The aim is not to build a racer, but a light quad to extend the flight time. For this a single piece frame was chosen. It also needs to have enough space to mount a HD recording card or digital fpv. Alternatively you can see the second frame proposed or the one I used which is certainly resistant to crashes, but can not mount a double Stack 20 * 20mm. Obviously all this is experimentation, which is why the proposal to the ardupilot team. If you don’t want to evolve and is enough a sub 250 arducopter fpv, my previous solution has been flying well for over a year already, as you can see from the video.

1 Like

I’m not criticising the concept, just the manufacturing quality of the frame I received. Merry135 is off the list.

1 Like

Ok, but it’s not very easy to find a 135mm 3 "frame needed for 2 s liion 2 stack. Try the second type if you want or the one I used.

1 Like