Sony RX100 MK II, Seagull Map2, Pixhawk 6C

Hi all,

I’m currently working with a Sony RX100 MK II, a Segull Map2 and a Pixhawk 6C on a HolyBro X500 Arducopter. I’m new to all this camera triggering side of Ardupilot and would love some help getting things configured. I’ve been reading through the wiki pages I can find (I know some are for Plane)
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-camera-shutter-with-servo.html?highlight=camera#common-camera-shutter-with-servo-enhanced-camera-trigger-logging
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-gpios.html#common-gpios
and here Camera Triggering using Seagull MAP2 — Plane documentation
but I’m having trouble getting things setup correctly.

I currently have the quad using the FMU output for Dshot on the 4 motors, so I only have the FMU extension board plugged into the FC. However, from the 6C documentation, it looks like I can use “group 2” of the FMU (outputs 13-14) as PWM even though I have DShot on “group 1”.

I tried configuring Servo13_FUNCTION as a GPIO to use with the trigger, but then when I set things up as shown in the Seagull UAV video linked in the Wiki page Camera Triggering using Seagull MAP2 — Plane documentation using SERVO13 as the “Shutter” drop down, it changes my SERVO13_FUNCTION to “10”, instead of “-1”. I’m not sure if this is a difference in the newer firmware since the video came out, or where else I’m going wrong.

I have the camera connected up with the Seagull micro-USB adapter, and when SERVO13 is set to “10”, I get the breathing red LED on the MAP2, which seems to suggest that it is working. However, clicking on the map and “Trigger Camera Now” does not result in a photo being taken.

Can anyone assist with this? Thanks in advance!

My current params - let me know if a log while disarmed would be helpful.
X500 Camera Trigger.param (16.7 KB)

Hi Dpapworth,
How did you go with this? I have never been able to trigger via the seagull, though I’m bypassing the flight controller and just makeing a GPS camera. connecting the camera via the micro USB to the 1.5mm jack,. GPS into the Seagull and IMU into the seagull.

I was actually able to get it to trigger the shutter reliably through a switch on my TX. I just have the camera USB to the 3.5mm on the Seagull, then a 5v power supply into one set of servos pins on the Seagull and my flight controller GPIO output into the other set of servo pins on the Seagull. I have some flight controller parameters I had to alter to get it working, but it works reliably on the bench. I’m not sure what you mean about connecting the IMU to the seagull. Are you supplying the Seagull with 5v?

Hi Dapworth yes supplied with 12v from power bank which is within the range. I have managed to get red and Yellow lights and trigger pulses unfortunately in my case it just doesn’t record the data, even with a 3D fix. I have just purchased a flight controller and compass and am going to rig the camera as a rover. and manually trigger and pull the data from Ardupilot logs instead. I have done this previously with my VTOL so it should be a similar setup

Ah, gotcha. Sorry to hear it didn’t work how you were hoping. Hopefully your rover setup will get you what you need.