So, i took off in stabilize mode

Kinda old school. look for some 32 bit ones.

1 Like

i found damage on the fight battery and am discharging it to safe it before recycling. Already over 5000mAh and still discharging at 10.50v currently. So not crap. Just not able to handle the discharge it advertises (30C). but a 16000mAh might help a bunch.

how do the motors turn if you remove the props, arm in stabilize and slowly raise throttle on the tx? they spin smoothly and slowly accelerate in relation to the throttle stick on your tx?
If not, then you at least know theres something wrong with either tx cal or esc cal (or simply esc).
for your next tests, you could strap the quad down and test that way. if it goes crazy, you dont have to print anything again.
Please post back results.

This isnā€™t necessarily the case with no props, on the bench in Stabilize mode. Because there is no sensor feedback the motors can do random things. Only a Motor Test (Mission planner, BLHelisuite, etc.) will behave as you describe.

True, I prefer your test. But to check for tx behaviour at the same time, I would test motors with low throttle input no props on in stab. It is pretty obvious if something is wrong at that point. And I think a motor test does not take ATT (ekf) values in consideration which would only test motor, esc and fc signal output but not the influence of the sensors effects on ATT.

The influence from the sensors when itā€™s un-propped and stationary is mostly random.

I kindly disagree, I know what you mean and indeed the influence of the sensors is not to be taken as exact behaviour but, in my case, it is enough to determine if there is a problem or not. I wouldā€™nt go so far to say mostly random. If you tilt the copter while armed and in stabilize with no props, you can feel the motors spinning correspondingly to the rotations of the copter. With a bit of practice, you can determine if the right motors turn, in the right way, start at the same time, etc.
Iā€™d love some explanation of your point so I can correct a wrong analysis if it is the case.

@charlesmarseille How familiar are you with closed loop control theory, feedback loops, and the theory behind PID controllers?

This has lead many people astray generating countless posts on the forum going something like "my motors are not responding properly to throttle input and I am in ā€œInsert flight modeā€. Then after a few more posts explaining how closed loop control works, as @amilcarlucas is suggesting, they arrive at using the Motor Test function and all is clear.

Regarding ā€œa bit of practiceā€ that is simply not safe or practical on a larger multirotor.

@charlesmarseille Do you have the "bit of practiceā€? A LOT of users also thaught they had it too :slight_smile:

Ok guys, I asked myself the question before proposing to test without props (which is an ever ending debate in this field haha) and chose to go with it considering it has helped me more than once and it was quicker than having to test everything with a pc at hand. I do understand how a new-to-the-field person could badly interpret the behaviour of no props ā€œinsert-flight-mode-hereā€. I do get that you are trying hard to avoid such operators to make wrong assumptions based on comments that seem like the one I wrote. I will stop here then, I wonā€™t start a debate since itā€™s not the place and I respect your experiences. Iā€™m a physicist with some work in PID loops, I have a general idea of whatā€™s going on in an fc but certainly am not a loop control theoricist :wink:
Iā€™ll watch this thread from now on, and hope that people will not be lead astray by following blindly and without thinking what other people specificly recommend in specific situations.

The only debate comes from those who will not listen and accept the truth.

The advice you have been give is logical, sound, easily verified and repeatable.

Any misadventures you may have are on you.

Sure. Iā€™ll leave the more experienced guys answer then.