Skywalker X8 Quadplane Build 4

Hi Darell any updates on this? How is performance of the Holybro Tekko32 65A Esc??? I am really interested to buy if they are better than Hobbywing XRotor pro…

It’s winter here in Australia so it’s been a bit windy. Combined with some health issues, I’ve been grounded for weeks. I’m probably looking at another fortnight at least before I can take the Skywalker up to tune the vertical motors. I’ll definitely write a blog post when done and hopefully have a video as well.

Hope you are getting well soon…

I’ve taken the plane out three times now only to find it too windy for a maiden test. So I haven’t forgotten but looking at the current forecast it could be yet another two weeks. I’m really excited to see how the new ESCs work.

Hi Darrell, long time not hear from you… Any update about your new Hollybro Tekko 65A Esc…??
Regards,
Ton

I gave them a try and they ran much to hot to use on my airframe. They have to be used out on the arms under the prop wash as the instructions indicate. I don’t want to rewire my machine so I’ve gone back to HobbyKing Plush 60.

I’ve had a heck of a time tuning the airframe with the fast Sunnysky motors and 12 inch props. I’ve decided to go back to T-motor MN3520-11 400Kv with 14 in T-motor fiber carbon props. I’ll be testing the change this Sunday. I’ll be doing an autotune and will do my best to video it.

Thank you for your response Darrell. I am curious about the current measurement using Holybro Tekko Esc, which one consumes bigger current between Holybro Esc and Hobbyking Esc? Sorry you mentioned Hobbyking plus 60? I though it is hobbywing 60A? I use Hobbywing Xrotor pro 50A and I think is good enough. They are just warm after QHover several minutes.

Are you using 6S or 4S batteries? My ESCs were extremely hot using 4S so I’m also going back to using 6S batteries for the vertical motors. One of the issues I ran in to here is that typically a aquaplane only hovers for a minute or two at most. However, if you want to use autotune then you need to fly for at least 7 minutes to do just one axis. Once you start extending the flight times components can get much warmer.

I use 6S. The logic is very simple, I want lower current which is good for the Lion battery and Esc. These two components are very very important for a long life and reliability of the drone. I am a bit confused about your result of using Holybro Tekko Esc. Do you compare apple to apple between these Esc? I meant have you tested the Holybro Esc using 6S ? And compare the result using other Esc brand (Hobbyking??) also using 6S ? Which one consume more energy (current)??
Regads,
Tony

Well, that makes total sense and is exactly why I used 6S when I built mine. I’m only using 4S now as this was an experiment to configure it more like the commercial version, the DeltaQuad.

The use of 4S really did cause nothing but trouble due to the high current and heat. I can’t imagine why they would do that. No large copter that I know of uses 4S.

Unfortunately I didn’t think to test the Holybro ESCs using 6S before I put the HobbyKing ESCs back in. I suspect that even with 6S I would have to rewire my setup to put them under the props.

If you want to try the Holybro ESCs send me a PM with your address. I’m more than happy to give them to you for testing.

Darrel my simple question: Did you test the holybro using 6S?

Yes I tested the Holybro with 6S. I did a short vertical flight, about 3 mins, and when I landed they were burning hot. So I never tried them again. My tests on the bench showed the telemetry worked fine though.

[So sorry for the confusion but I should have said 4S in the above post. To be clear, the ESCs became very hot with 4S batteries. I have NOT tested them with 6S batteries.]

Anyone know why they are running hot. I have two new builds using them and now I am starting to worry.

The ESCs were mounted inside the airframe which is not appropriate for the Holybro ESC. They need to be mounted in the prop wash to remain cool. The documentation clearly states this. Your telemetry should tell you the temperature that they are running at.

Hmmm
I was going to run them in the CF tubes to the motors.
They are handling 20 amps max but 6 amps normal. Not using the telemetry. I just wanted something with lots of head room.

Hi Ricky, I strongly suggest you use Allumunium heatsink attached to the Holybro Esc. This will help the Esc from overheating. I am always worried to use Esc without heatsink. Heat is the enemy of semiconductor.
Darrel, thank you for sharing your experience. This is a good lesson to learn for us.

Hey Tony.
you mean the heat sink that comes with the ESC.
I never removed them as I thought that would be silly. Like you said. Heat is the enemy

Be carfull, dont short the “heat sinks” they are connected to one of the motor phase!
dont put another metal heat sink on top ore something.

@aamadeuss
Check this out. First power up. I triple checked all the solder joints. all good. Also these ESC I have covered with Silicon conformal coating to defend from water.
All the others are fine.
But look what happened.
No idea why.

Was this powered by 4S or 6S?