SIYI A8 mini 4K AI Mini Zoom Gimbal Camera - AI Identify & Tracking, 4K 1/1.7-inch 8MP Sony Sensor, 6X Zoom

This is the video guide for firmware upgrade

I am currently trying to stream 1080p through the ethernet port, however every time I try and set ‘UltraHD’ stream resolution in the PC assistant app, it reverts back to only ‘HD’. I have tested and it is definitely only streaming at 720p. How can I make it stream at 1080p over ethernet?

A8 mini does not switch stream resolution at this moment

Thank you for your quick response, do you know when this will be available? I’m currently doing a computer vision project and 1080p streaming would be very helpful.

Hallo Frank, thanks for your work and for new firmware to try.
I tried to flash 30fps firmware and there was some issue with new 64GB SD card, but old 8GB fat32 SD card works fine and firmware was updated correctly (SIYI assistant shows 0.1.8). But I can still see an issue with picture broken if using with CSI adapter. As first I tried on 2 different monitors (10" full HD display and 22" PC monitor) to see HDMI info. picture was correct on both, but it show 1080p/60hz (not 30)

1. Just to compare, this is how image looks on firmware v 0.1.6 on OpenHD and CSI adapter:

2. And with FW 0.1.8 is a bit better, but still messed up:

3. Also tried with RUBY FPV, same as OpenHD:

so seems like there’s still no 30fps in last FW version, or maybe some different issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you tell us a little more about the CSI adapter, please?

• Is it a must for your network?
  • How does it look?
  • Which part do you put it in your network?

CSI adapter has to be use to convert HDMI signal to CSI2 signal on raspberry pi (used for transmit video via wifi). Most of the CSI interface support only 30p framerate.
this is exapmle of CSI interface I’m using:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DEkRIal
and this is how the video transmitting system is connected (OpenHD or RUBYFPV):
IMG_8909

Hi All,
I can control gimbal from AP.
But can not find FPV mode. I have only Lock and Follow.
How can i switch FPV mode?
Thanks.

I have AP 4.4.0dev
Gimbal 0.1.8
Camera 0.1.8

Hi @FPV_Glider,

AP doesn’t allow setting the mode to FPV. Just “lock” and “follow”. Now, I must admit that it is like this because I didn’t understand the difference between “FPV” and “follow”. I guess in FPV mode the gimbal’s yaw moves very closely with the heading of the vehicle? while in “follow” mode the gimbal’s yaw is slightly “loose” so if the vehicle yaws quickly the gimbal will lag slightly?

If people say we need this then I think we can add support. Currently the “Mount Lock” auxiliary switch position controls are low:follow, middle:follow, high:lock. Perhaps we could make either the middle or low position set the the gimbal to FPV mode?

1 Like

@kalai1219,

Sorry for the slow response.

Re the issue you saw with turning on/off recording. I think the issue may be related to timing. The gimbal interface doesn’t allow AP to directly turn on/off the video recording, instead it only allows “toggling” so the AP driver can potentially become out-of-sync with the gimbals actual recording state. The driver does request the gimbal’s recording state regularly though so I think this can only happen if the user triggers recording on and then off within 1sec.

Does this fit with what you’re seeing?

Hi!
Thanks for reply. I need FPV mode because it can track up and down and it respond to change of the heading much faster. In Follow mode camera is always horizontal and if the plane goes up or down camera is looking the wrong way.
Could you please implement FPV mode in future verstion. It will be very helpful for planes and gliders.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

It would be good to have FPV mode in low (to have it by default). FOLLOW - middle, LOCK - high.
Thanks.

1 Like

We had some debate on OpenHD discord regarding CSI converters. Despite the fact that Toshiba 358743G (processor and baseband chip on most CSI converters) datasheet support 1080p60, seems like Raspberry Pi itself cannot handle more than 1080p25 or 720p49 So I would like to ask you, if it is possible to implement one of the two mentioned resolution/framerate for HDMI out in new firmware, so we can try in, or even try to make it configurable somehow. Thank you.

Hi Randy,

Fpv also means that roll follows frame, thus slight or none stabilization. Same goes for tilt, but you still can control the angle

@Dimitris_Stefanakis, @FPV_Glider

Thanks very much for that explanation of FPV mode. So the gimbal moves in body-frame rather than earth-frame. I’ve added an issue so we don’t forget about this enhancement request.

I can’t immediately promise when we will implement this but I hope it won’t be too far in the future. We are actively working on improving AP’s gimbal and camera support but there’s still a lot of items on the list!

3 Likes

Siyi a8 mini ethernet port configuration.In Manual it only for hdmi.

@SIYI I would like to second this please. Thanks!

Great intro of A8 mini gimbal presented by Painless360

2 Likes

Hi @rmackay9. Apologies for this question, the answer seems obvious to me but I want to check a box and make sure I am reading the comments in this thread correctly before figuring out my next steps.We have a Foxtech VTOL plane running Arduplane V4.1.0dev (fcde1e73) with some custom parameters from FoxTech. What I see here is that the gimbal controls nor camera controls would not work on our VTOL unless we were willing to update to 4.3.3. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Adam

@ross99502,

Yes, that’s right. The SIYI gimbal support was first added in AP 4.3.1 so the autopilot needs to be running this version or higher…

1 Like