SIYI A8 mini 4K AI Mini Zoom Gimbal Camera - AI Identify & Tracking, 4K 1/1.7-inch 8MP Sony Sensor, 6X Zoom

Hello. I have a Siyi A8 mini camera, it is connected via UART to the SpedeBee 405 wing and configured according to the instructions. The camera is additionally mounted on a retract, which is turned by a servo. I assigned “Mount1Retract” to the corresponding servo output, but the servo output is not active, it is 0, and accordingly retract does not work. I believe that this is a firmware error. Is there any way around this or fix it? Thank you.
@rmackay9, @SIYI

Hi @michal.dronov,

This came up a few days ago as well so I’ve raised an enhancement request here. It’s fairly easy to resolve this but I can’t immediately say when it will be done.

Can you tell me which firmware file it is so that I don’t have to look for it, I can fix it for myself, maybe for everyone. Thank you.

Hi @michal.dronov,

A Pull Request appeared overnight so I expect this will be resolved within a week or so. That change will initially only exist in master (aka “latest”) though so it will need to go out in a beta and finally a stable release.

Hi, can anyone help my A8 mini is not working properly after the update to new firmware camera 2.4 and gimble 3.6.

For some reason all my code stopped work. Code based on GitHub - mzahana/siyi_sdk: Python implementation of the SDK of the ZR10 camera-gimbal system and wasnt change. Anyone face that too?

That looks like a power supply issue to me. The gimbal resets all the time.

HTH,
Wolferl

Thank you I will try to power it externally.

1 Like

The support email will take over this issue if the above suggestion does not work

@Wolferl thank you now my a8 mini is working.

1 Like

Anyone facing GPS HDOP high issue while A8 mini is powered ON. In my case the camera and GPS is almost 150mm away still i get high HDOP values.

Has anyone faced the Abnormal IMU temperature issue on A8 mini? The status indicator LED shows Triple Yellow blinks.

1 Like

Hi Sagar99,

Problems like that are almost always power supply related. Powerful electronics like gimbals output electtic noise that propagate via supply lines to sensitive devices like receivers.
Try putting a 470µF electrolytic and a 100nF ceramic capacitor in parallel to the A8’s power supply.

HTH,
Wolferl

1 Like

Will the A8 Mini geotag pictures taken during a photogrammetry mission? I thought I read somewhere that it will.

If not - what parameters should be use in Mission Planner to geotag the pictures correctly?

1 Like

Yes, it will, by integrating GPS data following the ArduPilot instruction. And the firmware should be the latest.

Thanks Frank, but I’m not clear what you mean by

integrating GPS data following the ArduPilot instruction

I believe I have done this following the wiki here SIYI ZR10, ZR30 and A8 Gimbals — Plane documentation and I am running the latest version of the camera software 0.2.4

I am getting some kind of geotagging but its wrong, camera is on latest firmware and connected to telem2 port on ardupilot. I always get wrong coordinates as you can see.

@SIYI

4 Likes

I recently installed this gimbal onto a fixed wing drone and while pan and tilt work, no other functions appear to be working, My fc is a matek f405 wte and I’m communicating with it over serial 5 uart. The radio is a x9d se and I’m controlling the zoom via the pot S1. The pan and pitch are controlled by the left and right sliders. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

1. updated gimbal firmware
  2. updated camera firmware
  3. set all ardupilot settings to match the instruction manual
  4. verified that radio signal is being read by ardupilot
  5. changed recording settings to not 4k (I’ve tried several)
  6. try zooming camera in mission planner aux functions (returns error)

The main feature I want is zoom so any help would be great. I sent an email to siyi a couple days ago but haven’t heard back.

Edit: I am also unable to connect to the analog vtx. I already switched modes in siyi assitant and mapped the wires which turned out to be red for cvbs and white for gnd. looking at the connector from the bottom (the side without the clip) and the connectors facing up, the red is second from the right and white is third from the right.

Edit 2: somehow the camera firmware got reset, changing back solved the analog issue. continuing to troubleshoot zoom

I also have the gimbal camera on a fixed wing (MFD Mini Crosswind). However, it is not (yet?) controlled via Arduplilot, but via SIYI MK32 using the SIYI FPV APP.

I tested the FPV mode today (camera follows the aircrafts heading and tilts in curves).
Gimbal control, zooming, video on/off and photography is flawless.

But I noticed the following pros and cons as shown in the short video: MagentaCLOUD

The most annoying thing is that the camera occasionally stops recording for no reason. This actually makes it unusable if you are flying alone and don’t have a second person to operate/controle the camera.

Is the sloping horizon and the unsteady tracking when turning around the vertical axis also present when controlled by Ardupilot?

Regards Rolf

1 Like

I have yet to do a test flight with the gimbal but should have one done within the next two days. i don’t notice too much of an issue with pitch or roll (at least based off the artificial horizon) but the gimbal slowly yaws to the right when no inputs are given. I shall update once the test flight is complete.

Edit: @SIYI I would really appreciate it if anyone could link me to all previous firmware versions for the camera and gimbal. I read that some past versions have a working zoom option. All my emails over the past week to siyi have gone unanswered.