SIYI A8 mini 4K AI Mini Zoom Gimbal Camera - AI Identify & Tracking, 4K 1/1.7-inch 8MP Sony Sensor, 6X Zoom

Obviously it is in your configuration. Maybe they’ll recall the gimbals and modify them free of charge.

@SIYI Frank, thanks for your statement. I appreciate that you take care.

Still, your “30 degrees software limit” seems to by pretty artifical. Looks to me, that the spec was adapted to that design flaw after it already happened and there was no time left to fix it. Would be very surprising to me, if someone specifies and designs a 3-axis gimbal from scratch with a 30 degree roll axis limit - or did you have only rovers in mind? Planes and multirotors easily exceed 30°.

If you set a software limit, may be that you do not allow external commands to roll the gimbal outside this limit. Fortunately there seems to be (currently) no software-limit that stops readjusting the roll motor, in order to keep the horizon stable if the mount is turned more than 30°. You can test that when the gimbal is activated and hear the motors clicking when the camera case hits the yaw mount.

I desperately hope, that you will NOT issue a firmware update, that also limits this behaviour (and stops readjusting the roll axis to keep the horizon when plane rolls more than 30°). Instead at least I (and probably most of the others early adopters here) would like to go my own way and fix the problem with a modified back plate until you can provide a better solution.

I do not see a performance problem caused by this really minor imbalance of a modified back plate as the gimbal seems to use also encoders to control the position (not only IMU). Encoder based gimbals have much more reserves for imbalances like this compared to traditional, encoder-less gimbals.

Looking forward to a solution by SIYI but until then, will help myself.

Another whish I would have for a redesign of a “A8 Mk.II” is a wider voltage range. Many of my small drones use 3S LiIon batteries (discharged down to about 9V). Currently, this means that I would need boost voltage regulator to provide at least the 12-13V that the current “pre-sale batch” version expects (4S - 6S according to specs).

Hi Frank,
Could you please post a CAD (STL) file of the back plate.
Thanks

Hi All,
I want to modify the camera case back plate shave all for corners off the top of the backplate so they recessed about 100 microns below the camera case corner then fit the new case and then may need to take off that 100 microns of the case corner with a finger nail file will need to put a tiny bit of sealant around the back plate so as no dust gets into the camera case. Here is a link to the SIYI *.STP CAD file
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aSulEJW6OYt8UTtW0osgL20lkXcMuGxp?usp=share_link
The back plate in the STP file is there in four parts including the recessed perimeter on the under side of the plate can someone get the plate out of the file I only have very basic CAD skills. Once I have the plate STL file I can shave the corners with 3Dprints until I get it right. It does need the perimeter on the underside of the plate.
Thanks

1 Like

I have found a crude fix. The main problem is more the camera case corner than the back plate. take off the camera back plate ( the camera PCB is held in place by the back carefull it is loose also dont let any dust in) file all four corners as in pic_1 & Pic_2

then re fit the filed plate then take off the case corners until it misses the yaw arm one file at a time until you get it right. Pic_4 is how I tested it works before modifying the back plate

Cant see any other way to fix the issue as the camera case corner needs to be filed as well as the back plate corner
Note: the camera case is not square 32mm x 30mm see Pic-3
wash the back plate after filing before refitting so as to remove any dust

3 Likes

What would be the recommended way to mount this to a Holybro x500 V2 frame? Is there a product that would allow me to connect it to the mounting rails? Or should I buy another payload platform board from Holybro (I’m using the one that came with the frame for a companion computer) and attach the A8 to that platform board? Would that work? Thanks in advance…

SDK Commands for gimbal angle control has been updated into the user manual. Welcome to have a try.

1 Like

I have attached how I attached the larger ZR10 to my X500 V2 frame.
I have since ordered the new A8 camera/gimbal and the ZR10 will go on my new larger build.

Be careful and look at the input voltages needed by these cameras and plan for them in your build.

2 Likes

SIYI A8 mini Gimbal Camera Unboxing Video

If you haven’t bought A8 mini, the videos will help you understand what items you will get.
If you have got A8 mini, there are still some useful information you may need

Welcome to have a look!

1 Like

By the way, the latest 4.3.3-rc1 includes an ArduPilot bug fix to the start video recording feature. If beta testing goes as expected 4.3.3 will become the stable version in a week or two.

Although I may have mentioned it before, if you’re running out of transmitter switches to control all the gimbal and camera features, Mission Planner has a an “Aux Function” tab that can provide quick access to these features without setting up a switch.

4 Likes

Thank you Randy and Frank,I would like to see A video of the A8 set up with the HereLink system and preferably the V1,many thank’s

Hi all. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I connect A8 to matek 743 wlite. Connected as in this manual SIYI ZR10, ZR30 and A8 Gimbals — Copter documentation. Axis control works fine, but zoom and recording do not work. The control signal is connected to the matek via a crossfire. Air unit is used only for video transmission. All firmware has been updated to the latest(ArduPlane4.3.2, Camera Firmware v0.1.7, Gimbal Firmware v0.1.8). When I try to use the Aux Function (Camera Zoom) in Mission Planer, I get an error “The Command failed to execute”. Thank for reply

1 Like

This fix is released in AC 4.3.3 beta1 please update flight controller firmware yo check this.

2 Likes

This did not solve the problem, I’m doing something wrong. Here are my settings,maybe you might notice what I’m doing wrong.

H743_WLITE_4.3.3b1.param (20.8 KB)

Zoom does not work if the recording quality is 4K.
If it is not 4K, please send a video to describe the issue, thanks

1 Like

The recording resolution determines how much zoom you get because it is digital
720 = 6x
1080 = 5.5
2K = 3
4K =0

2 Likes

I have the siyi fpv app running on windows 11 fully functional with two cameras

Thank you. Everything worked. I did not notice that the recording is on 4k.

Hi Roman
Gool glade it worked for someone else.
If you have zoom it is less than 4K