Setting up H-6 frame type

Hi, I notice that the frame types don’t include the H-6 pattern. I’ve purchased the Pixhawk 2.4.8 with all the good stuff but I need to know how to set up an H-6 motor mix. It was fairly easy with the cleanflight CLI prompt for the SP racing F3 controller but it appears that I can’t access a command prompt with this version. After looking at building codes for this controller I now know that I’m in need of some assistance. Could somebody please give me some advice as to how to set up the H-6 pattern on my pixhawk controller.
Ta
Paul

We need pictures. And you need to install ArduCopter 4.0.7 and read the documentation a bit. ArduCopter has no Cli.

Thanks for your interest. Running 4.0.7. already. I’ve read a heap of stuff today and haven’t come up with the solution yet. Picture of the build below… It runs well with the cleanflight setup… it’s fairly stable. At present it has an SP racing F3 board. Unfortunately the latest version of the cleanflight firmware seems to indicate no interest in any real automation such as GPS or Altitude hold. So here I am investing in the Pixhawk. I was also very interested in the remote compass to avoid magnetic interference from the wiring directly under the flight module… As you can see the build is asymmetric but as the weight is also asymmetric is seems to pose no problem with the motor positions as if it were symmetric. I’m really keen to get the PX4 set up for this. Any advice setting this up on the pixhawk would be well appreciated.

Kindest regards

Paul.

Here’s a video of the drone in flight.

(Attachment Drone in flight.html is missing)

Sorry, The video I uploaded was rejected. It’s on facebook though if that helps I can send it to you through facebook or messenger.

I can’t tell the Front orientation from the photos. If there are props at 12 & 6 o’clock just use Hexa +. If not then use Hexa X. The fact that it has the support members around it (H you are saying) I don’t think will make any difference.
Motor Order

Thanks, The hexa x would most closely resemble the layout. According to the diagrams you’ve supplied, motors 1 and 2 will be at 3 and 9 o’clock. The crux of the matter is that the motors are not a round layout like the hexa x diagram. They are lined up on both sides like an H. Motors 1 and 2 being closer together than the other four. I’ve used the iforce2d mixer calculator on the cleanflight controller to account for this as it is now… So you think that the pixhawk controller will be able to auto tune to account for this???

I’ve only just woken up. It’s 7.17am here now. I look forward to your reply.

regards

Paul

Hi,

I have plugged the spacings for the hex x and the H-6 pattern into the calculator and it spits out a different algorithm. Especially for the roll figures… I don’t know if you are familiar with the iforce2d motor mix calculator but it can give you a good perspective on the difference in the algorithms.

It even gives the arducopter commands.

You can google the motor mix calculator fairly easily… Perhaps you have your own calculator at hand.

Have a look and see what you think.

Paul

You could try Arducopter how it is normally with Hexa X - just Roll and Pitch PIDs will be different.
If it’s not acceptable after tuning, then look at modifying the motor mixer.

Right. I don’t see anything particularly unique about this frame. Set it for Hexa X and get to it. I don’t know why you would need a mix calculator. Cleanflight is irrelevant to what you are doing here with Arducopter.

Hi,

I have plugged the spacings for the hex x and the H-6 pattern into the calculator and it spits out a different algorithm. Especially for the roll figures… I don’t know if you are familiar with the iforce2d motor mix calculator but it can give you a good perspective on the difference in the algorithms.

It even gives the arducopter commands.

You can google the motor mix calculator fairly easily… Perhaps you have your own calculator at hand.

Have a look and see what you think.

Paul

Thanks Dave, You have made me feel comfortable with the new product. I will certainly try it out with the Hex x configuration as is.

Cheers

Paul.

dkemxr
Dave

August 19

alt Grav:
motors 1 and 2 will be at 3 and 9 o’clock.

Right. I don’t see anything particularly unique about this frame. Set it for Hexa X and get to it. I don’t know why you would need a mix calculator. Cleanflight is irrelevant to what you are doing here with Arducopter.

Thanks Shawn,

That’s two people that have said the same thing now. I will certainly try it with the hex x configuration as is.

Cheers

Paul