Sailboat Support

Here is a log file (from a different run): https://drive.google.com/file/d/140PvmM2iFIylodSwKpfZlsC34hF8VRev/view?usp=sharing

I think a possible fix is to check whether the chosen heading is inside the no-go zone and if so, adjust it to the closest heading that is outside the no-go zone. You probably want to do this continuously so that it will correct the course if the wind shifts.

Thank for the report, your right we were never applying the no-go logic. Fix here:

3 Likes

Thanks, it works well now!

when using the GPIO RPM input for wind speed using a hall sensor, does it need a pull up resistor?

Possibly, it depends on your setup. If its not working its worth trying pull up or pull down.

1 Like

Hi,

I am attempting to set up my first ardurover sailboat project. I am using a F765 wing FC, and a wind vane based on the Bourns 360 potentiometer, I have the modern devices Rev P Wind Speed sensor. I have the wind vane working fine, connected to the AirSPAD and Pin 10 selected in parameter WNDV_DIR_PIN I see headings in Mission planner.

I am having less luck with speed and temp from the Rev P. I am unable to find a way of getting windspeed readings from the modern devices. I have OUT and TMP pins connected to two 3.3V ADC pins 15 and 4 on the F765 for my WNDV_SPEED_PIN and WNDV_TEMP_PIN. But don’t seem to get anything on windspeed values. Not sure where to look for Temp values as these do seem to be a tick box option.

I see values when measuring with a volt meter on the temp and windspeed outputs, both varying with simulated wind and temp.

Any guidance on what I am doing wrong or how to move forward would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dave

Looks like the board is not setup to take into acount the 1K to 10K divider on VB2

The 11 times multiplier should be set in the SCALE(1) field. That would mean we get the correct raw voltage and can convert to speed.

if you have another free pin your best bet is to swap to one that does not have a divider. RSSI maybe?

Peter,
Thanks connected to RSSI pad and now reading WS.
Many Thanks
Dave

Is it possible to get an analogue wind direction and PWM GPIO wind speed onto a can node like the matek L431?

Speed via the RPM library should work, not analogue wind tho.

1 Like

Hello,

During my PhD I implemented some code in Ardurover for sailboats, mainly by adding some sail control techniques, and another tacking strategy, and I think they might be useful for the community. The problem is that I ended up changing many parts of the code, added new parameters (to switch between strategies), and so on. And now the code is about 2 years behind the main branch. Any tips on what should I do to adjust the code, and do a pull-request to the main branch?

This is the fork where the code is implemented GitHub - Natalnet/ardupilot at nboat_develop

@iampete @rmackay9

3 Likes

This is an aside, but that’s so cool! I’m really interested, would you mind sharing your dissertation or relevant papers?

Great, yeah would be great to read any papers.

Probably the best way to contribute is pull out small features in to individual pull requests. Lots of changes in the main code that will mean a big rebase of the whole lot will probably be quite messy.

yeah, that’s probably the best approach. I’ll start working on it. Thanks!

About the materials: unfortunately, my thesis is not in English but you can find my papers here ‪Davi Henrique dos Santos‬ - ‪Google Scholar‬

This is a video of an experiment we did last year. Its running ardupilot

5 Likes

Hello,

After reading the whole thread I would like to test but I don’t know which controller to take.
https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-autopilots.html
gives many possibilities of choice but for a newbie like me it’s too complicated.
Which is the cheapest of the possible choices?
The prospect of probably losing the boat tells me that this is the right path

For example

is there a good solution with a reduction at the moment or a bad one because the software will soon no longer (or even already) allow you to load openpilot sailing ?

Hi all,

A script to allow using CALYPSO’s Bluetooth windvane has just been added. No more need to run cabling up the mast!

Not tested in the wild yet, but seems to be a nice compact and light weight solution for smaller vehicles. Script and instructions here:

If anyone knows of any other Bluetooth wind vane / weather station type things that might be suitable I’m sure we could add support in a similar way.

2 Likes

Hi,

I met these people at the exhibition “boot” in Düsseldorf.
https://open-boat-projects.org/en/

They have a wind sensor project with wifi NMEA0185
https://open-boat-projects.org/en/zusammenbauanleitung-windsensor-yachta/

Also available on gitlab
https://gitlab.com/norbertwalter67/windsensor_yachta

Would be great, if this could be connected to ardupilot.

2 Likes

@iampete
Hi Peter,

I’m using matek f405-wing, and P3022 sensor as windvane.
I want to connect the sensor’s analog outpin to RSSI, which is the correct value of WNDVN_DIR_PIN?

I find the hardware definition, the pin 15 is the value.

1 Like