I think the only reason this would happen would be if the ekf is not happy. Are all your arming checks on? If you switch them all on and try and arm into acro it should give you a more helpful message.
I think Rover-3.5.0 is appearing as the default version for Rover now so hopefully that issue has been resolved. If not I can look into it further.
No no, no need thank you, solved by upgrading the mission planner.
Thanks a lot!
Peter, about getting in to Acro mode to test how the sheeting will behave when changing boat heading around indoors…
I had set Always armed, and now changed it to normal arming (throttle down, rudder to right side). It now responds with these messages when I try to arm:
PreArm: Board (3.3v) out of range 4.3-5.8v
PreArm: RC9 minimum is greater than trim
PreArm: RC8 minimum is greater than trim
PreArm: RC7 minimum is greater than trim
revo-mini 003D002E 35355110 31313931
ArduRover V3.5.0 (af36fc5e)
First one means some power supply to the board or a pin is not okay?
The other ones, The RC7, 8 and 9, they are not used, not sent from my RC TX. Only sending out 6 channels. Does it prefer more channels?
And a last question - is it at all possible to test the Acro mode without a gps?
(cant get outside and get a 3d fix for some weeks)
power supply to the board I think
This is a bug with mission planners calibration. You will have to go into the full parameter list and set RC9_MIN to 1100, RC9_MAX to 1900 and RC9_TRIM to 1500. Also for rc8 and 7.
you can always disable arming checks if there stopping you arming using the ARMING_CHECK parameter., you can disable the board voltage check. Its not recommended to just turn them all off, try to turn of as few as possible.
I checked the voltage with a multimeter on the power source and at different points on the board, gps, rx and it shows between 5.13 - 5.07volt so I dared to just turn the board voltage check off.
The CH7, 8 and 9 warning disappeared after using your tip.
Now it can arm if mode is in Manual. But then when switch to Acro will fail with the msg: need position estimate.
I assume it need some Home location and that will be solved with first GPS 3d fix. Likely also can be set manually somewhere. However I moved on and tried to skip all arming checks for now.
Then it can arm when mode is in Acro. Good!
Something very unexpected happened when turning the boat around from North, where it was armed, so it think wind is from North. I was thinking Acro mode would let me control the rudder manually and the FC would adjust the sail depending on the wind. However, it does not. It is adjusting the rudder. When turning boat to right then FC do rudder compensation to the left.
I should mention that in Manual mode both rudder and sail can be nicely controlled by my radio input.
Any idea what I do wrong?
This is correct, in acro mode rather than inputting a rudder angle you input a desired rate of turn and the flight controller matches it with its PID gains. So when you turn the boat to the right its trying not to change angle so steers to the left.
Good, so the rudder logics is working, keeping the course.
Can you suggest How I can test if the logics of sheeting the sail is working?
At the moment I do not have a wind direction sensor and I do not have a gps fix.
the sheet should work as the rudder does in acro. if you arm facing north in (heading when armed wind vane mode) and turn it south it should sheet out.
oh and I should add you will have to bump the throttle, at minimum throttle it will just stay sheeted out. Any throttle above min and it will do auto sheeting
Aha, yes sheeting did not move at all.
Then tried bump the throttle, but still no motion at all turning from north to south.
When I have minimum throttle then the sail is fully sheeted in, not sheeted out.
Should I set it the other way around, reversed?
This is correct for manual mode, for acro minimum throttle should be all the way out. The does the flight controller realise its yawing round, ie does the yaw change in mission planner? You will have to turn a far way before it starts to sheet out, maybe 30 deg, i don’t remember what we set the defaults too. But at 180 deg it should defiantly be all the way out and 0 deg all the way in.
Its arming in Acro and both sheeting and rudder behaves as expected.
I redid the setup from beginning with calibration of accelerometers and compass.
Set up wndvn_type 2 with offset from arming heading on a nob on the transmitter, plus a switch for manual tacking. Following the wiki was clear no problem.
If going sailing now (without windvane) would already be at a new level.
Waiting for delivery of those units though.
Thanks a lot!
still ice on my lake here…
if all goes well maybe put the rig and fc on a frame like this after the summer
speed will be some 10x faster so really need a working wind vane and a windspeed sensor.