RunCam serial driver - alpha testers wanted

Fires up with blue light but does not start recording.

Mine starts recording - and I assume that this is the case in the code. Can you change the setting so that recording is on by default and see if that helps?

Also for you switch it is using PWM < 1200 and > 1800 for low and high?

Switch low and high are fine. First thing I checked. Will enable auto start on recording.

So UX question - there is no way to tell how this is configured so we have to pick a default and ask the user to make sure this is set. What should the default be - on or off? My inclination is off as it improves the OSD responsiveness

I think off is the best. But I have not had a chance to test this again as it has been a busy New Year with a family wedding and slew of meetings I have to do on Jan 2.

Thanks to @tridge I am going to get a RunCam Racer 3 that should support the 5-key OSD protocol so I will be able to do some better testing

1 Like

Good day, as i will test soon this firmware with runcam uart supportā€¦ better the version split 3 or 2 for take photos and also start/video recorder

So far I have only tested with split3. I will test with split 2 in the upcoming weeks.

Iā€™ve done the order also for the split 2ā€¦hope the runcam split, 3 micro have a good quality

Hi Andy,Marc and David,im late to the party im about to order a Runcam Hybrid for my 7 inch Source one which has A full size cube in it,im willing to help any way I can,basically all I want is to be able to stop and start recording.I would like to thank you for all the work you have done to date,and lok forward to hearing from you

Iā€™ve just submitted a PR that fixes support for bare cameras (works with a racer 3) https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/13456. Iā€™m going to test this with a RunCam split 2s that @Marc_Dornan supplied next weekend. So you might want to wait until then before trying. I also have a replacement split 3 micro in the mail to replace my destroyed one,

1 Like

Work has been hugely distracting! Glad you can make some use of it.

1 Like

Cheers Andy and Marc,will be late next week earliest I have n=my run cam

Good day, unfortunately im still not able test the runcam split due delay of the shipmentā€¦ which bares cameras you will implement in the driver?

1 Like

RunCam Racer, similar cameras will also work

1 Like

Is the RunCam2 too old? I have the USB harness for it.

1 Like

It needs to support UART control, thatā€™s all really.

2 Likes

For those reading this thread I now have a RunCam Racer3, RunCam Split 3S Micro and RunCam Split 2S all in testing. My driver fixes for the Racer3 have affected the Split 3S and the Split2S has significant issues so I plan to work on these over the next couple of weeks - you might want to wait before you try anything ā€¦

1 Like

There is a chance that the Caddx baby turtle whoop will work?

Unlikely at the moment, someone would need to debug the peculiarities of their fake runcam implementation and how it relates to the camera operation. Iā€™m sure itā€™s possible - but I have my hands full getting 3 different types of genuine runcam working :slight_smile:

For the interested the runcam protocol is horrible - it basically exactly mirrors the physical operation of each camera, which seems to vary camera to camera.

1 Like