RunCam serial driver - alpha testers wanted

If you get the debug you will be able to see it retrying if the comms is the issue

Just going to double-check on mine - haven’t actually tested it on real hardware for the last commit.

Yeah working for me:

29/12/2019 17:06:29 : RunCam initialized, features 0x0077, 2-key OSD

Is SERIAL2 definitely right?

I believe so. I created this from rssi and pwm5 with a change to hwdef.dat and I have connected with mission planner on serial2.

But I did check ground continuity with a meter and it was ok but maybe croc clips are not gripping well and ground was floating. I could swear I saw 0x0077 with the Caddx. Let me check wiring again. Prob something simple.

I think it also needs to be non-inverted. Not sure what that means on an F4.

0x77 on a Caddx is interesting - that means its not advertising support for the 5-key protocol which is the only one that BF supports. I do wonder how accurate their implementation is.

Let me confirm that next time I am at my work bench.

As regards non inverted I certainly have not inverted. Just a normal uart connection.

Caddx Turtle V2 is reporting features 0x0009.

Which means it supports the power button and 5-Key OSD, but not change mode or start/stop recording, although it doesn’t look like I check for the latter.

Wow. What is the point of that! No start/stop recording.

Ok. Now it seems I may have had a bad croc clip connection making a common ground. With this sorted my v3 micro is responding to roll inputs. It seems I can start and stop video with roll input and enter the Menu. RC input does not seem to be working. So no switch to stop and start video.

But I will look at this again and report properly when I have a fresh head and also hook up the Split 2S.

I’ve now merged the PR from @andyp1per into master. This should make it easier for testers to try out. I’ve sure there will be more updates needed to make it work with more cameras.

2 Likes

I’ve now merged this into master, that should help with testing. Thanks for the great work Andy!

1 Like

Thanks Tridge. That will help.

Look at this post.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40492769&postcount=145

There is a lot of talk about using inline resistors of 1k with the Caddx Turtle V2 in Betaflight. People have got video stop/start working. But I am perplexed about the voltages referenced. This looks to be mimicking the joystick and and not serial commands. I need to look at your code and read up on this.

Edit – I think this is using the serial board that mimics the joystick. This is something else entirely and is not UART control.

Runcam Micro 3. Roll stick and Pitch stick do work as you describe to enter and navigate. I had no issue changing settings. There is the occasional glitch depending on how fast you move the sticks but it works just fine.
Setting an RC channel to function 78 does not work for starting and stopping video.
I can start video by using the pitch stick while not in the menu. Mid to High or Mid to Low on my Pitch stick starts recording. I can only stop recording by entering menu mode. I am certain i grabbed your PR when you told me to but I wonder if I have the latest code.
All of the above is fully repeatable on my Micro V3.

Caddx Turtle V2 is basically not working and I/we should forget about it. Who knows what is going on here.

Runcam Split 2S: It is responding to stick commands but not in any way that i can easily report. I cannot reliably enter menu mode with roll movements. It is trying to turn wifi on and jumping between 16:9 and 4:3. Again Pitch movements are starting video recording. I also could not use RC channel assigned to 78 to start video.

Well it is something. I think I should recompile as I think I have possibly an older version of your code. I can see the Micro V3 will work but the Split 2S looks like it will need some tinkering.

You should be able to increase the reliability of the stick movements by increasing CAM_RC_BTN_DELAY and CAM_RC_MDE_DELAY. I set these as low as I could go, but if commands are issued before the previous one has completed then you will get the glitches you describe. Higher numbers also mean less responsiveness, so have a play and see if you can come up with better defaults.

Video on the pitch stick is not something I wrote so would be good to get to the bottom of it! Can you do a debug build and send me some output? Can you also make sure the camera firmware is the latest?

Also is the RunCam micro 3 a swift? Does it have menu buttons or is it a bare camera? If it has menu buttons what do they do. The code assumes that you start in video recording mode, if that’s not the case then things may break subtley. Also be good to know the features.

Ok, please make sure camera firmware is latest ad send me some debug output if possible. Thanks for all your testing!

I am referring to a Split Micro V3 – I believe the same one that you have. So it is odd that it does not function the same way.

It may take a day or so for me to redo tests with debug firmware.

Ah. I am using the 2.4.4 beta firmware. There is a fix in there explicitly to allow the control of settings. Not sure if it fixes anything else. Caveat Emptor - it bricked my camera the first time I tried it and it was a royal pain to recover.

I am familiar with adding usb to Split micro v3!

But I can change the settings on my Split Micro V3 no problem. Just video start/stop.

Strange. Without the UART connected does it start in video recording mode on or off?