Rover-4.0.0-rc4 available for beta testing!

Rover-4.0.0-rc4 (the 4th beta) has been released and is available using Mission Planner or QGC’s “beta firmware” links (or you can manually download the firmware from firmware.ardupilot.org). The changes vs -rc3 are in the release notes and also copied below:

1. Lightware SF40c lidar driver for latest version
  2. UBlox F9 GPS automatic configuration
  3. UAVCAN RTK GPS support
  4. Bug Fixes:
    a) Auxiliary switch support for RTL, SmartRTL fixed
    b) Fence health reporting relaxed (was showing Fence Breach when fence was not setup)
    c) RangeFinder type parameter clarified for Benewake lidar
    d) Barometer PROBE_EXT parameter description improvement
    e) Pixhawk4 board LED brightness fix

Hopefully this will be the final release candidate so any testing you can do will be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone has given Rover-4.0.0-rc4 a test? I think it’s likely safer and better than 3.5.2 now but I’d like to hear some more feedback before I push it to be the stable release…

@Matt_C,

A fine looking rover. The 3G/LTE modem on there is interesting. Are you using UAVCast or something else?

Putting Rover-4.0.0-rc4 on it would be a great help. I agree that it’s unlikely you’ll uncover issues but that’s OK, any testing is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I did some driving this evening and all went well. The RCx Option issue is fixed as noted. All modes worked well and I ran a looped mission for 20 minutes or so and it went well also. I didn’t test the fence but from I can see it’s ready for prime time!

1 Like

@dkemxr, great, thanks for the feedback!

@Matt_C, txs for testing and the log. I had a look at the log but it’s hard to be sure what the issue is. The only unusual thing I see is the RCMAP_PITCH = 3, RCMAP_THROTTLE = 2 which is reversed from the default setup but that might be completely correct depending upon how you want to control the vehicle.

From the video it appears that moving the TX’s right stick left and right actually controls throttle which is unusual but again, that might be how you want it.

@Matt_C, looking good. Yes, I still have an elab VEC on my shelf but I haven’t used it much recently. I’ve been focusing more on outdoor rather than indoor.

Anyway, looking good.

@Matt_C, yes, this should work (having 2 encoders using servo output pins 3,4,5,6) and then controlling left and right motors with servo outputs 1 and 2. Remember to set BRD_PWM_COUNT = 2.

1 Like