RevoMini with I2C and SD card supported

Have AP 4.1.7 working on RevoMini with I2C and SD card here.

But now I found, that in 4.3.0dev there is an add. hwdef.dat.sd, which combines I2C and SD card support.
Just build the firmware with AP 4.2.2 and this hwdef.dat.sd and on my delta test rig seems to work fine …

I know, that the RevoMini is out of production and I don’t know, how many are still around. But in my eyes, that FC is ideal for small airplanes, I my self have four of those. :wink:

Two remarks - might be helpful, if the wiring information on
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-openpilot-revo-mini.html?highlight=revo%20mini
could be added for those add. features on RevoMini and the SC card adapter shown is a bit misleading. You have to use a SD micro card adapter capable 5V!

Modified adapter with 662K LDO.

br KH

Hi nostromo1232, I would like to use the OPLink port of my fc revo mini for an SPI peripheral (external SD card). This would be essential for me to record the logs. I’m currently using the I2c revo firmware. Could you please help me? How can I use the hwdef.dat.sd ?
Thank you very much.
willliam

Hi william.

Search my notes. I started adding the sd-card with AP 4.1.7. Had to get me a building environment to create the firmware from source. Last time I messed around with the revo-mini, sd-card was in 2022 with AP 4.3.1.
I loaded the source into the building environment, modified the ‘hwdef_revo-mini_4.3.1.dat’ file in the code, build the firmware and uploaded the firmware to the board. The complicated part was getting the building environment working. I used Linux. I am not an expert on that :wink: The modifications in hwdef_xxx_dat were not so complicated, just had a look into hwdef_xxx_dat of flight controllers, which came with an sd-card.

Building under bullseye.zip (3.9 KB)

Here is the wiring for the sd-card

revo-mini oplink

As I used it in conjunction with an oled I2C display, here is the modified connection by iforce2d

But the problem now is, I don’t have any idea, how the situation is now with AP 4.4.4?

Would have to create a new building environment, have a close look at the code, make modifications to the configuration files ‘hwdef_xxx_dat’ if necessary and generate the firmware …

That’s it.

BR Karl

Better to cast it in clear resin and use it as a cool paperweight.

Like this one:

Paperweight sm

William, I created a new building environment under Debian bullseye here and build successfully the revo-mini firmware under AP4.4.4!

But only for revo-mini and for revo-mini-i2c. But there is a 3rd configuration package revo-mini-sd, which brings some modifications to use the SD card.

AUTOBUILD_TARGETS
include …/revo-mini-i2c/hwdef.dat

The building has to be done in conjunction with the revo-mini-i2c, but at the moment I don’t have the slightest idea, what command is needed.

For building the firmware I use this command

~/ardupilot$ ./waf configure --board revo-mini-i2c

which sets up the configuration for revo-mini-i2c followed by

~/ardupilot$ ./waf plane

which results in

BUILD SUMMARY
Build directory: /home/user/ardupilot/build/revo-mini-i2c
Target Text (B) Data (B) BSS (B) Total Flash Used (B) Free Flash (B)

bin/arduplane 979875 2404 128748 982279 740

Build commands will be stored in build/revo-mini-i2c/compile_commands.json
‘plane’ finished successfully (5m38.809s)

Think, I am seeing things a little clearer now :wink:

With my fresh building environment I successful build and tested revo-mini-sd firmware with the sources AP 4.3.1! I knew before, that 4.3.1 was working!

With AP 4.4.4 I successful build and tested revo-mini, revo-mini-i2c.

But all my attempts to generate here the revo-mini-sd under 4.4.4 failed.

There are exactly 10 version in between 4.3.1 and 4.4.4. Question is, when did this issue showed up?

I opened an issue on github #26458

KH

As a tip, it’s better to use an F4WSE FC, which has a footprint of 4x2 cm and has significantly less cable clutter than a RevoMini: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006466804229.html

Thank you very much nostromo 123 for your kind reply. Only now did I notice your instructions. Now I’ll get to work. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again…

Reinhard, is that you? Most are happy now with the SpeedyBee F405 Wing, you introduced in your workshop on www.frsky-forum.de, but some are still searching desperately the ‘complete parameter list’ for clues or hints :wink:

About that link to the Aliexpress FC. You have on of those on your workbench? What components are on that board, any further documentation, this is a clone of which fc?

But at the moment, I am busy with that issue here. See you elsewhere …

Regards KH

AP4.4.4- i2c-sd has been build, flashed on revo-mini and is working!

Genau …

The F4WSE FC uses the firmware from the MatekF405-TE but is not a direct copy because it is built differently. IMHO it is currently one of the smallest FCs and inexpensive.