Removing RC in GUIDED mode in dronekit

Hello,

I was flying my quad using the simple arm and takeoff code by dronekit and kept my RC on because of the failsafe. I calibrated all the channels but somehow my Roll channel was biased to the left. The drone took off as expected but while landing it started descending sideways and crashed into a nearby truck. Luckily I was flying at just 4 meters so it didn’t go into a building. I set my channel 1 trim (Roll) again to the midpoint using subtrim and calibrated the RC again and it flew with no issues.

Is there a way to fix the RC values to 1500 and define the limits safely so it doesn’t wander about while landing? Also is there a way for it to land using GPS coordinates. Because it can go to a point using the coordinates but it lands what it thinks is straight down. Can I set some coordinates so it rectifies its position when it is going astray?

Thanks,
Regrads,
Sohaib AJ

I was flying my quad using the simple arm and takeoff code by dronekit and kept my RC on because of the failsafe. I calibrated all the channels but

Keeping your RC unit on it a good idea anyway - you can use it to switch
modes quickly if everything goes south.

somehow my Roll channel was biased to the left. The drone took off as expected but while landing it started descending sideways and crashed into a nearby
truck. Luckily I was flying at just 4 meters so it didn¢t go into a building. I set my channel 1 trim (Roll) again to the midpoint using subtrim and
calibrated the RC again and it flew with no issues.

You should really avoid trimming on your transmitter - it leads to all
sorts of unexpected results.

Is there a way to fix the RC values to 1500 and define the limits safely so it doesn¢t wander about while landing? Also is there a way for it to land

Not while landing.

using GPS coordinates. Because it can go to a point using the coordinates but it lands what it thinks is straight down. Can I set some coordinates so it
rectifies its position when it is going astray?

LAND mode already uses the GPS for positioning.

Sohaib AJ

Yours,

Hello Peter,
Thank you for the reply.

I do keep it on my person and have configured the switches to change the mode to brake and land in case of an emergency. But I want to rely as little as possible on the RC.

Also because of the fact that it malfunctioning caused the quad to crash I am leaning towards even less towards RC. I will probably keep it during flight but I don’t want it to interfere with the quad during the flight.

I have seen that this is mostly the case, that in LAND mode it saves its coordinates and then decreases its altitude keeping to its initial location. But for some reason the quad didn’t follow the norm and because the RC roll, by itself, shifted to the left, it also started landing diagonally towards the left. Aligning the RC to the center did the trick but I want to be sure this doesn’t happen again.

I do not want to go into RC override for this which is why I want to know if there is a safer way to achieve the 1500 value on the channel and lock it.

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I was just meddling around the parameter list in mission planner to decrease the landing speed as the quad does bounce a bit, where I saw LAND_REPOSITION parameter which “Enables user input during LAND mode, the landing phase of RTL, and auto mode landings.”

Now I don’t know what this exactly does and don’t have a way to check on SITL but from what I think this disables the user input during landing mode, so it should also disregard the RC value if the RC malfunctions and changes it from 1500.

Also what if I fix my RC_TRIM value to 1500? I will have to completely remove the RC from the equation and won’t have user control which is kind of what I am going for. But is it safe?

Thank you