RemoteID modules?

So from what I’m reading, the remoteID requirement went into effect four months ago. I searched but can’t find any. Are there any RemoteID modules available from any vendor yet? Not saying I like the idea but I like the idea of getting arrested for flying my drone(s) less. I did contribute a couple hundred bucks to the lawsuit effort… in the meantime: Is it possible to comply with the law at this point (other than by flying dji premade drones)? If so, where can I get the modules?

The FAA rules have been published. The effective dates are still a little ways off.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/
(bottom of the page)

I would expect uAvionics to have a product out in time for when RID will be required.

1 Like

Thanks so much for making me re-read the remote_ID rule! The remoteID rules went into effect March 16, 2021, however it gives us operators a 30 month “grace period.” So it doesn’t really go into effect until September 16, 2023. That should be plenty of time for the lawsuit to help us get some more reasonable rules written!

Here I was thinking it was all doom and gloom.

Thanks again, seriously! I’d been avoiding flying my drones because of the rule.

As for that patent… they patented something that the FAA laid out all the technical details for and DJI claims to have on their drones? It’s no wonder that USPTO has such a poor reputation.

Here is a solution to remote ID.

The USA rules on remote ID are here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

The model itself needs to transmit the information so that anyone near the model can detect the signal and be aware of it’s location. You need a WiFi/Bluetooth transmitter on the model, not on the ground station (since the model could be a km away from the ground station and still be in line-of-sight of the pilot, and someone near the model could be out of WiFi signal range of the ground station).

there is one here from mrobotics mRo RemoteID
and another fella here https://wurzbachelectronics.com/esp32-remote-id-development-set. Both are based on the ESP 32.

look here for some more documentation Remote ID (aka Drone ID) — Copter documentation

It’s not a solution.

also keep in mind you would need to have tamper proof firmware (signed firmware) to also comply which ardu does support but its a bit more in depth to do so and open id is not enabled on any firmware by default yet to my knowledge. you must compile it yourself.

for others that may not know do you care to elaborate so this question is answered in a fashion that is not just a statement?

@dkemxr, I don’t know if you watched the full video, but in the video the ask is what’s missing? The FAA ask that a drone and its ground station shall report its vectors to UTM/UAS by “radio frequency e.g. wifi or BT”. Our telemetry receivers are sending this data and the GS (laptop, tablet, etc.) are capable of wifi and LTE connectivity to report GS coordinates.

If I understand correctly, these are some of the attributes missing:

1. Infrastructure to receive all this data.
  2. UTM processing this data and retaining for 6months
  3. Security between each software and firmware to avoid any hostile takeover of the drone or GS
  4. Application SW such as Airmap, drone base, etc.
  5. Telecom providers handshake

So I only see firmware and software development not so much hardware.
Please enlighten me.

1 Like

ArduPilot has enough information to construct a RemoteID signal, but as I understand it the flying model itself (not the ground station) has to broadcast the RemoteID signal (position/velocity/etc.) via WiFi/Bluetooth.

I do not believe that a MAVLink signal being sent via a telemetry radio (or embedded in Crossfire/ACCST/ELRS control link telemetry packets) would count as compliant. Someone running the RemoteID app on their phone should be able to receive the broadcast signal from any drone within range.

Yes you are correct. What thru me off initially was the statement “radio frequency e.g. Wifi or BT”. But after listening to Jeff Wurzbach for an hour on youtube, it was clear to me that we are all heading towards BT. Apparently BT has excellent range if used only as a broadcasting frequency. HereLink just launched a GPS puck that has this broadcasting module but currently not supported by Ardupilot.
Bottom line NEED NEW HARDWARE.

A bit of new hardware (can just be an appropriate Bluetooth transmitter) but more importantly “tamper resistant” firmware.

Are we finally discussing remote id??? :slight_smile:

Hey, I was shut down by all when I brought up this topic long time ago…

Are we having fun yet dealing with FAA…

1 Like