Relay will turn on, but not off

Hi all,
hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I’m being driven mad trying to get the landing lights on my new build operational.

Using a Cube Orange+; trying to switch Servo8 (used to drive some LEDs via a transistor), controlled from a switch on RC channel 6.

Configuration looks like this:

SERVO8_FUNCTION: -1 (GPIO)

RELAY1_DEFAULT: 0 (Off)
RELAY1_FUNCTION: 1 (Relay)
RELAY1_PIN: 108 (MainOut8)

Rx supplying RC6 is sending Low @ 1062 and High @ 1937 - well outside the 1200/1800 margins.

RC6_OPTION: 28 (Relay1 On/Off)
RC6_MIN: 1062
RC6_MAX: 1937
RC6_TRIM: 1500
RC6_DZ: 50
RC6_REVERSED: 0 (Normal)

Symptom: When the system is powered up, the lights are off (correct).
Flipping the switch on the transmitter turns them ON.
Flipping it back again - no effect! - they won’t turn off.

This isn’t anything to do with the electronics - decoupling from the lights and just measuring the voltage directly on pin #8… it correctly starts out at 0V; transitions to 3.3V; but never transitions back to 0 again.

Nor is it the transmitter - MissionPlanner’s showing the expected values as the switch is toggled.

Any clues deeply appreciated!
cheers, John

Could you post a schematic of your “LED controller”?

Attached, if you’re interested :slight_smile:
But unfortunately it’s not the problem - with it unplugged, the behaviour of pin #8 is still wrong.
Blasted thing happily transitions from 0 => 3.3V when the switch is flipped ON; but not back again when the switch is turned OFF.
landling_light_schematic

Out of curiosity what does the Banner message say about how the outputs are configured on the messages screen after connection?
One like this:
26-Feb-24 03:24:53 PM : RCOut: PWM:1-14

Which BTW is a Cube Orange+ with Servo8 configured for GPIO. Suggest you use an Aux output.

1 Like

when you toggle the relay from mission planner does it switch off? It will show if its an input or output issue.

relay 0 = relay 1

Hi Dave,
I’m seeing exactly that message:

ps. You’ll have to educate me - what’s its significance? Is it thinking that RC8 is still PWM as opposed to GPIO?

And on the Servo/Relay side of things… everything’s greyed out; attempts to use the High or Low button produce an error; the Toggle button does nothing:

Yep. Use an aux port. IOMCU are PWM (or DSHOT in very recent releases) only.

Also, Mission Planner confusingly labels RELAY1 as Relay0.

Yes. Try using an Aux output not the main outputs.

You guys are going on my Christmas card list - OUTSTANDING - THANK YOU!!!
Five minutes’ work to split off the signal wire - and success. Woot!!!

2 Likes