Radio failsafe with CRSF with Yaapu Telemetry with FrSky Taranis; log analysis help requested

OK, I got this to work on both the Nano Rx Diversity and Pro. 1st I had to disable the Yaapu script so Agent Lite would detect the Micro Tx (EdgeTx 2.7.1 problem). From here it’s the normal update process (banging head). I updated the Tx using Agent Web. Then from Agent Lite selected Bind and powered the Rx and it immediately asked to update the Rx firmware. It did that then bound and good to go. Put the Yaapu script directly back on and all good.

The EdgeTx problem is supposed to be fixed in 2.8 when it comes out.

Having this same RC failsafe problem with CRSF.
New quad build started with very intermittent RC failsafe on the following system.
Crossfire TX nano
Crossfire RX nano
Frsky Ethos X20s
Matek H743.

At first sometimes the link came back but later it never did and the RX lost bind every time. I tried 2 different RX nano and another nano pro. All did the same. I tried a few different firmwares but finally back on 6.19.
Then I got a new CRSF TX module (the top of the range one). Had one flight of about 30 minutes with all working. Today however, another RC failsafe at less than 100mts and again bind lost.
As its loosing bind it does strongly point to a problem between the TX & RX unit.
Its occurred with 2 different H743 FC units as well. The only common component is now the Frsky X20. Logic would say its not a prime suspect but Im really out of ideas. Probably even if the External CRSF unit lost power intermittently, it wouldn’t lead to a loss on bind?
I will try to setup the system on my old X9d open TX and see how it goes.
Any ideas welcome.

This last year, the effort/reward ratio of this hobby has hit an all time low. Many hours of computer research and a handful of minutes in the air. (I have another post about many mystery crashes).

Im actually on copter 4.4.0

There might be relevant fixes in ArduCopter 4.4.4. Why aren`t you using that one?

Actually I am. My mistake.
Anyway I think the problem is between the two CRSF units.

I agree that loss of bind really sounds like a Crossfire issue, not a ArduPilot issues. Have you tried it without the yaapu script running?

I recently had a problem with a Crossfire nano RX with the same symptoms (first RC failsafes, then the loss of binding). My theorie is that it partially unsoldered itself due to a combination of high power, low airflow (inside heat shrink tube) and I sometimes even used it without the antenna, which wasn’t smart.

I could fix it with a heat gun to melt and re-set all the solder joints on the board.

1. You should use 6.19 - that is the latest stable TBS firmware
  2. You should move this discussion to 4.4
  3. Please try this firmware - Dropbox - arducopter.apj - Simplify your life - it is a build of 4.4.4 for MatekH743-bdshot with fixes in for the failsafes that you are experiencing. These changes will be in 4.5. I talk about it at the beginning of this video:
2 Likes