QuadPlane All Ready to Go But Need Some Advice Please

My Quadplane is all ready to go but I have 2 questions I’m hoping someone can help me with. I have done 3 fixed wing Pixhawk planes, so I’m comfortable with Plane firmware, but my multirotor experience is limited to DJI products thus far.

Firstly, I’m having trouble calibrating the ESCs. I am on firmware ver 3.5.3 (not going with 3.6.0 just yet) so I have to go with the “Old Calibration Procedure” described here: http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/quadplane-esc-calibration.html. The problem is with step 8 – ie, disarming the ESCs after they have registered the max PWM. I have set ARMING_RUDDER to 2 to allow left rudder to disarm but the delay means that I cannot execute this in the required time. I am using T-Motor Air ESCs and (like most ESCs) they move onto the next parameter setting (timing in this case) 3 secs after the calibration setting (“beep-beep”). However, I think I may have managed calibrate the ESCs by switching to manual mode just after the “beep-beep” because this caused the ESCs to exit the programming cycle. But I don’t know for sure. Surely it would be easier just to link my ESCs in a daisy chain with Y-leads and calibrate them that way?

Secondly, reading through APM copter, it says that throttle minimum for 15secs will disarm the motors, but this does not seem to happen with Quadplane – they just carry on spinning until I disarm with left rudder or switch to manual mode. Not really an issue, though.

Thanks,
Jacques