Quadcopter flips over on takeoff. All usual suspects checked. SOLVED

Still not airborne, it does the same wobbly oscillation thing that can be seen in the video I posted above.

Flight log: 23 12-31-1969 7-00-01 PM.bin - Google Drive

How would I go about doing that? As far as I can tell, the FC has no way of communicating with the ESC except through the M1, M2, M3, M4, and current pins.

Sure it does via passthru. I have flashed a couple of these shit ESC’s for testing purposes and you get BDshot telemetry for the notch filter and whatever Dshot protocol you want to use. Use Dshot600. Obviously you need to use the Bdshot version of firmware and configure for it.
There are some links here, the Configurator is simple to use.
Bdshot with Bluejay.

When I try to connect I get this error: Port already in use by another application - try re-connecting

No, I can’t hover at all. I just meant it didn’t wobble around before flipping (like in the video I posted), this time it just flipped.

Well, If everything is followed guide.

Maybe you can try this: Initial Parameters Calculator Plugin

I don’t think it’s a parameters issue. It has to be the ESC, and its inability to run DSHOT600 or use any telemetry feedback. I just bought a new BLHeli_32 ESC that will come on Monday, so here’s hoping that will solve these issues.

Why not try DSHOT150 or DSHOT300? it can fly without telemetry back to FC.

I’m using DSHOT300 right now, it’s the only one that even allows the motors to spin at all. But it’s still not taking off. The only differences between this ESC and my old one which worked are that it’s BLHeli_S instead of BLHeli_32, it’s DSHOT300 instead of DSHOT600, and it doesn’t have ESC telemetry. So the issue must be with one of those things. Unless there’s still something else I’m missing.

@vandjac When you say “All in sequence”, does it match what @xfacta said here? Motor 1 should spin when Motor A is pressed, Motor 4 when Motor B is pressed, Motor 2 when C is pressed and Motor 3 when D is pressed. Is that the case?

Yes, it follows the order A->B->C->D clockwise like in the picture when I select “All in sequence”.

Hmmm… it’s strange. as BLHELi_S supports DShot 600 refer to BLHeli/BLHeli_S SiLabs/BLHeli_S manual SiLabs Rev16.x.pdf at master · bitdump/BLHeli · GitHub

Yeah, we are going to find out. How about the voltage supply, which is matched for this ESC???

You haven’t configured it properly.
MOT_PWM_TYPE,6
SERVO_BLH_AUTO,1
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC,2

Then see if they spin correctly.
Then after flashing, if you make it that far, you need to configure for Bdshot.

1 Like

Yeah, we are going to find out. How about the voltage supply, which is matched for this ESC???

I’m using a 3S battery, which should work for this ESC.

My 2 cents. As a test you can try this. I would make a copy then delete the config in the PARAMS, Using the default setting I would go to a larger prop and test fly it without any pid adjustments at all. Recalibrate everything. if it feels better i would adjust manually with the with the twitch sensitivity program in copter. that should fix it or get it close but if not you can try the above. Tuning is very prop centric so using a larger prop could make a huge impact in the balancing of the motors.

Side note sorry but not all FC’s have built in isolation so this is also a metagating issue to deal with.

Ok, I got the motors spinning with DSHOT600 using those parameters. I still can’t connect to the ESC configurator though, it gives that same error about the port already being in use.

Edit: I was using the wrong Baud Rate. It should be 57600, so it connects now.

Ok, I was able to flash BlueJay and I set the parameters according to the documentation for bidirectional DSHOT:

SERVO_BLH_BDMASK: 15
SERVO_BLH_POLES: 14
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC: 2

But now my motors don’t spin at all. I tried setting SERVO_BLH_BDMASK back to zero and they didn’t spin either. What am I missing?

Edit: I didn’t restart the ESC after flashing it. Now the motors spin fine.

Ok, here’s where I’m at. I implemented all the parameters changes that xfacta suggested earlier, now that I have DShot600 and bidirectional Dshot working. However, I’m still at the same place I started. The quadcopter wobbles and oscillates on throttle increase until it flips over, just like in the video I originally posted. I’m really not sure what to do next.

Flight log: 29 12-31-1969 7-00-01 PM.bin - Google Drive

Edit: I figured it out! When I looked at the MissionPlanner HUD, the roll and pitch were flipped (as in when I pitched the drone forward, on the HUD it rolled right). I changed the AHRS_orientation to 270 and now it flies! I still have no idea why the orientation was off in the first place though. The flight controller is definitely facing forward on the drone.

Ah ha! To me it didn’t look like PID or ESC issues. I was about to push to make sure props are turning the right way, but switching roll and pitch will produce a similar result!

I can’t find if this was already mentioned, but what flight controller are you using?

I’m using the HolyBro Kakute H7 Mini.