Quad going into LAND mode while in AUTO mode. "Err: EKF_CHECK-2, Err: FAILSAFE_EKF-1" error

Hi everyone.

I’m somewhat new at DIY Drones :wink:

A few day ago I test making my first “Flight Plan” and all went fine. The next day I made a slightly longer Flight Plan. During one of the legs between two way points the Quad went into LAND mode. I took over by going into Stabilize mode and then RTL mode. Fortunately the quad did not crash or anything but I would like to know why it went into LAND mode.

Video of flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTXBpcvYWA

From the LogAnalyser (below) I can see there was an “Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: GPS_GLITCH” and “GPS = FAIL - GPS glitch errors found (1) Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 1.92” message. According to the Log Review there was no major loss in HDop or the satellite counts. I have also attached my log file. The Log Review also showed a “Err: EKF_CHECK-2, Err: FAILSAFE_EKF-1” error. This happened 3 time. Can someone please share some light into the matter?

2016-12-19 08-07-44.log

Log File 2016-12-19 08-07-44.log AutoAnalysis:

Size (kb) 3351.326171875
No of lines 46006
Duration -2 days, 23:30:55
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2.1
Firmware Hash 36b405fb
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0
Test: Autotune = NA -
Test: Brownout = FAIL - Truncated Log? Ends while armed at altitude 10.41m
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (184.06%)
Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: GPS_GLITCH
Test: GPS = FAIL - GPS glitch errors found (1)
Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 1.92
Test: IMU Mismatch = NA -
Test: Motor Balance = GOOD - Motor channel averages = [1554, 1600, 1603, 1614]
Average motor output = 1593
Difference between min and max motor averages = 60
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = NA -(3.3 MB)
Test: Pitch/Roll = NA -
Test: Thrust = NA -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

Regards,

Mauritz

Any replies on this topic? :smiley:

Looking at the log file:
There was a GPS glitch where sat count AND HDOP momentarily went to 0.
I would check for loose cable or connectors, but that does not seem to be the cause.

Your battery voltage reaches 10.15V and you have your battery failsafe set to 10.5V although the log does not indicate a battery FS event.
If your battery failsafe is Land then I would assume this was the cause.

1 Like

Mauritz,

You may want to consider upgrading to 3.4. The last two builds included several changes to minimize lane switching, which is what EFK2 does when it doesn’t like an input.

Dave

1 Like

Hi Dave

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late reply.

I have an APM 2.8 FC. I can’t seem to load later versions than ArduCopter 3.2.1 on my quad. Is it because APM is not supported anymore?

I still have the “Err: EKF_CHECK-2, Err: FAILSAFE_EKF-1” issue where the quad goes into LAND mode. Other forums does not seem to have a solutions this?!

Regards,

3.2.1 IS the last iteration of code for the APM’s.

I have not looked in 3.2.1 but it might be worth seeing if the parameter to disable the EKF is there. EK2_ENABLE: Enable EKF2 but I think this is the later versions of copter.

Hi Dave

I have a APM 2.8 Flight Controller. Can I upgrade to 3,4?

Mauritz

Mauritz,

I don’t know if you can upgrade.

Sorry,

Dave